Fordmods Logo

Tail shafts????? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Tail shafts?????
Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi people I have a 94 EF falcon with a 5 speed manual, I have heard rumors that the reason they have the 180kph speed limiter is because over this speed the tailshafts have a tendacy to snap is this true and if yes what tail shaft can I use, as i am planning on racing my car 180kph might be a bit slow for me, any help would be great. Thanks.

It's only illegal if you get caught

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:17 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

yes this is true i had one come apart at 210k NOT FUN um i think its the xr or the ex pusuits have a sligtly stronger one that is cappible of a bit more

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

alloy ones are found on xr6/xr8's.
i need one because i have an xr ecu (limiter removed). i have taken mine to 200 before, and dont plan on doing it again until i put an alloy one in.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

How much does a tailshaft loop cost, that might be a wise investment.. does anyone know of a cost?

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 94 EF (OPT20), TF Cortina Ghia

VIC, Australia

If you want to be able to get serious speeds safely you should be looking at instaling either a 2 or 3 pc tailshaft. much much harder to snap. Ask Datamine about broken tailshafts. he removed his speed limiter and she let go on a dyno. made a helll of a mess.

"Look I found tape, I'm a mechanic now!!!" Mike Teutul

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

yeh but then u go custom, and theoretically need a modification plate. this costs money and alot of people dont wanna pay it OR do the running around involved.
i wouldn't mind having a 2 piece though, although i rarely exceed 140ish.

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

an xr6 tail shaft is made out of a slightly heavier gauge tube than standard, it also has a slip yoke dampener on it, which is supposed to reduce harmonic vibrations at high speed...

i recently had the shaft off as it had chewed out the bearing in the extension housing, the reason why it happened is because the dampener lost a rubber and threw it out of balance...

to get a new dampener from fruad was going to cost me $350, but since my car doesnt never gets over 180kph i decided to go without and i havent had a problem...

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:18 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

the tail shaft i refered to before in my ea had one off them dampaners on it before i broke it ..it come off about a month prier in the rain while a was changing from second to thired doing a snaky made a hell off a noise ... where these factory on ea wagons..?

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

joshannon.7 wrote:
If you want to be able to get serious speeds safely you should be looking at instaling either a 2 or 3 pc tailshaft. much much harder to snap. Ask Datamine about broken tailshafts. he removed his speed limiter and she let go on a dyno. made a helll of a mess.

Never heard of or seen a 3 piece driveshaft for a car but on trucks yes. We make both single and 2 piece shafts for cars and 1,2,3 and 4 piece shafts for trucks. Also datamine's driveshaft was a standard 3" single piece steel which was also the reason for the speed limiter on a Gli.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:58 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 94 EF (OPT20), TF Cortina Ghia

VIC, Australia

smoke_ wrote:
yeh but then u go custom, and theoretically need a modification plate. this costs money and alot of people dont wanna pay it OR do the running around involved.
i wouldn't mind having a 2 piece though, although i rarely exceed 140ish.

joolz wrote:
joshannon.7 wrote:

Never heard of or seen a 3 piece driveshaft for a car but on trucks yes. We make both single and 2 piece shafts for cars and 1,2,3 and 4 piece shafts for trucks. Also datamine's driveshaft was a standard 3" single piece steel which was also the reason for the speed limiter on a Gli.

2 pc is imho more than good enough. but have heard rumours of a few with 3pc shafts. Some of the pursuits aperently had a 2 pc shaft. dunno wether it would just swap over or not (I highly doubt it) but in any case if he is planning on racing his car its prob not gonna be on the street anyway. and whats a couple of grand on a race car realy??????? especialy on a major item like a driveline. that lets go and its race over for you. depending on severity of damage end of season. Also depends on what type of racing he is talking about. Having said all that if you are talking of racing on the road then 180 should be plenty quick enough. There is now nowhere you can legaly reach that speed. now that the NT has bought in speed limits.

"Look I found tape, I'm a mechanic now!!!" Mike Teutul

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

[quote="FAST-XR"]an xr6 tail shaft is made out of a slightly heavier gauge tube than standard, it also has a slip yoke dampener on it, which is supposed to reduce harmonic vibrations at high speed...

If your refering to steel as standard then an XR shaft is nothing like it. XR shafts are alloy with a diameter or 3.25" and wall thickness is approx 0.40mm thicker than the 3" steel shafts. The Slip Yoke Damper (SYD) is soley to absorb noise produced from the rest of the driveline (mainly on transmission torque converter lock up)

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

so the tail shaft on my wagon wash not factory for the ea range..? what makes a two peice saft stronger its got a extra flange and more possible week points...?

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 94 Futura

NSW, Australia

I just bought 2 alloy tailshafts one for me and one for Jaysen they are for sedans the ones for wagons had the dampeners but the sedans don't.

I was told by a tailshaft guy the reason the tailshaft breaks on dynos are that the have extreme speeds and forces that are not on the same par as road conditions at no time will they be at the risk on the road.

In Henry I Trust

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: SF5 Forester

NSW, Australia

meh i will read this later and put some theorys and other stufff.

R.I.P Tobias my son.

Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: XB

TAS, Australia

Tailshaft loops are about $50. I picked up an ebay special universal job. Haven't fitted it yet but it looks pretty heavy duty.

76XBGS, 383c, custom crow cam, 4V p&p heads, Isky SS Valve+springs, extractors, 2.5"twins, MSD Ignition, Edelbrock intake, Forged bottom end, Barry Grant 750DP, thermo, discs, toploader, Holley fuel pump, SUPERCHARGED!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next