Fordmods Logo

Trick ECU into thinking it is in Neutral at the ECU loom.. 

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Trick ECU into thinking it is in Neutral at the ECU loom..
Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Delete please.. found the answer in Troymans doco..

To trick the ecu into thinking it is it neutral you will have to add a 7k 1% rated resistor or a 6.8k-ohm resistor to pin 30.
And the other end of the resistor is to be spliced into pin 46(signal ground). If there is a wire already connected to pin 30 cut it off and join the resistor to the ecu end.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: AU III XR8 347ci

ACT, Australia

Just out of curiosity.. Why would you want to do that mate?

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

usually done if your running an auto ecu and manual gearbox, or auto ecu and mechanical gearbox ie c4

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Ahhhh, I see! Thanks for that mate! :wink:

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

In my case, because I plan to later remove auto completely, so don't want to go though the bother of rewing the harness so the EL ecu can do the gearbox. (EA's had a Transmission Control Module to handle the shifting duties, whereas later models, the main ECU handled it..) in short, I want the EL computer for it's maps, but I want the EA TCM to keep doing the gearbox.
Since the EL ECU will go looking for tranny temp and also because it won't idle properly unless it thinks you are in neutral, you have to trick it by putting resisters between certain wires.)

rgds

Frank

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

frankieh wrote:
In my case, because I plan to later remove auto completely, so don't want to go though the bother of rewing the harness so the EL ecu can do the gearbox. (EA's had a Transmission Control Module to handle the shifting duties, whereas later models, the main ECU handled it..) in short, I want the EL computer for it's maps, but I want the EA TCM to keep doing the gearbox.
Since the EL ECU will go looking for tranny temp and also because it won't idle properly unless it thinks you are in neutral, you have to trick it by putting resisters between certain wires.)

rgds

Frank

Sound like a whole lot of electrical jargon to me! Hence not liking high school electronics!

Good stuff though, very interesting mate, and thanks for the info :)

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

All done, smartlock bypass and auto bypass both done.. I also added every single wire that was in the EL plug into mine.. (about 20 more wires) so I don't have to do it again to make use of EL ECU features in the future..

once my battery charges back up. (damn ghia's have so many interior lights that they flatten the battery in half an hour..) I will start it with the ED ECU in place and see if it works... If it does, I'll try the EL ecu. (probably leave the ED ECU in place till I either put in the BBM or the M90 supercharger.

good fun and much much easier than I was expecting. (but then again, have not tested yet. :-) )

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

Looking forward to the results mate!

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yay!!!!

It starts..

only problem is that it idles at 1800rpm at present, but Troyman covered that in his doco as well.

Haven't checked to see if the tranny still works with the TCM.. but if it doesn't, I just have to find out what to send it down the yellow/red wire i had to cut.

Looking good so far..

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just swapped the ED ECU that I tested it with first, with the EL ECU...

It now idles in the perfect range.. and it has more grunt than it had before also..

Internesting, not having the BBM manifold on the ED motor with the EL ECU doesn't seem to have caused a problem.. My ED motor has an XR6 cam in it which from memory is similiar in specs to the standard EL cam.... so perhaps the ECU suits it in that respect.

It really does seem to have given me more grunt down low as it spins the wheels easier on takeoff than it did before.

Idle is abit rough, but I suspect that the computer will get better at it over the coming week.

Best of all is that the tranny didn't go into limp home mode.. it seems to be working fine off the TCM as before.

rgds

Frank

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

yep... whats why i always suggest upgrading from an EB/ED to EL ecu as it makes a big difference in responsiveness. Too bad not many people listen tho.

You can also wind the base timing up another 6-8 degrees.
In respect to the idle, disconnect the ISC and readjust the base idle.

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:16 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

awesome news dude

good to hear!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Coupe 66..

I'm going to be putting an EL motor in shortly and an M90 supercharger.. both of them are sitting in the shed now..

I fugured the EL ECU would probably get richer around 3500 rpm due to expecting more airflow because of the runners that switch too at that rpm (on the bbm manifold)

probably be the better ECU for a mild supercharging setup. (until I can get a capa that is..)

What I really want now.. is a way to hook up an LED to the knock sensor so I can have a warning light on my dash to let me know its knocking.... be very handy when playing with boost down the track.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

The knock sensor will only be useful under certain conditions, its is usually ignored at higher rpm where engine harmonics and valvetrain noises can trigger it,
It is possible to adapt a led to the knock sensor circuit, it requires a bit of circuitry tho.

Initially you can use the EL ecu with a rising rate reg, as long as you have enough fuel, it would be fairly safe, The EL ecu also slightly retards timing at over 3500 rpm when it switches to short runners, and this works better with having it on boost. I have run an EL ecu with 24# injectors, 10:1 rising rate reg and 8psi boost before, and it was ok. Fueling was fine and it never didnt ping, made around 230hp at the wheels (remember this was back in 1998/1999 so there wasnt much around in the way of tuning like there is now) however the right way is to go aftermarket ecu or megasquirt.

Dont worry about capa chips or any chip for that matter, put your money into an aftermarket ecu and wideband o2 instead or you will find yourself spending a lot of money unnecessarily.

We will be swapping the EL ecu in the XD for a megasquirt, soon as I get around to ordering one. I'll let you know once its done, how much of a difference it has made over the EL ecu straight up.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

out of curiosity... what is a megasquirt worth?

I was going to add AU injectors to the mix as well as the rising rate...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next