Fordmods Logo

Tyres for a BA Fairmont Ghia (225/50/17)? 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Tyres for a BA Fairmont Ghia (225/50/17)?
Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Hi all,

Looking to get new tyres for the Ghia and I was wondering what people recommend... thus far I've called a few places and been quoted:

* Firenza ST-03 @ $210ea
    * Dunlop LeMans LM702 @ $230ea
    * GoodYear Excellence @ $260ea

Any recommendations on tyres and where to get them in Sydney would be appreciated... the current tyres are Dunlop LeMans LM602's from memory.. presumably this is what the Ghia's came stock with!

I'm finding the current Dunlops a bit on the noisy side, but that could be largely because they're worn... :o

Cheers
Ant

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have just changed over to Dunlop SP SPORT 2000E both front and rear. I got my fronts(235/45/17) for 230 each, and the rears(255/45/17) for 440 each. Well worth it, Nice and controllable, good in the wet, dont know about wear as they have less than 100k on them
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I had been thinking about the Dunlop SP Sport 3000A's (as found on the XR6/8), but they don't come in 225/50/17... only a 225/50/16 :-( Choice in that particular size seems to be fairly limited.

At this point I'm somewhat inclined to go with the Dunlop... they are a known quantity of some degree. The Firenza I'd never heard of, so I'm a bit dubious to leap out and spend $210/tyre on a complete unknown. Dunno about Goodyear...

Any other recommendations?

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Anthony the sp3000 on the xr`s are a 17 inch tyre.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Anthony the sp3000 on the xr`s are a 17 inch tyre.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

drop the profile a shmidgin and get the 235/45r17 SP3000A's? because they are wider therye probably almost the same height anyway

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I realise the SP3000's are a 17" tyre, but my concern over fitting a different spec tyre was raised by this thread regarding the [il]legality of doing so...:

http://aussiemagna.com/forums/showthrea ... 070&page=1

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It isn't a problem re legality. The tyres in question are factory fitted to BA's and as such can be retro fitted to other BA's. Check your tyre placard on the drivers door, it will say what you can and can't have. It lists all sizes as fitted to your series of vehicles.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

It's your choise as to what tyres you put on your car but I have to warn you that the dunlop tyres have a reputation for seporation of the plies, or bulging in the tread. Ive worked with tyres now for 14 years and if you want a tyre that sticks like s**t to a blanket look at the faulcon range. Sport 3000's will only give you 8to10,000k's if your lucky the faulcon's will only give the same but maximise the limits of your car beyond what dunlop or goodyear ever could. Another tyre to look at is the bridgestone 010 series, standard fitment on the honda nsx

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

antony wrote:
I realise the SP3000's are a 17" tyre, but my concern over fitting a different spec tyre was raised by this thread regarding the [il]legality of doing so...:

http://aussiemagna.com/forums/showthrea ... 070&page=1

Just looked at this thread and there almost right but totaly wrong. I have 2 cars the ford with 17x8 which 235/45/17 is a nice fit and a nissan R31 skyline 88 model same motor as used in the vl dombodoore with 17x7inch wheels, best fit on 17x7's is 215x45 or 215x50 you can go to 225x45 comfortably but 235x45 is not a good fit (short walls wide tyre to much dolge) I mean they do go on and look phat and handel well but they'r just too wide for the rims. They'r not ilegal but it's not wise either.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:01 am 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

I had already checked the tyre sticker on the drivers door, and it listed only one tyre -- 225/50/17. My presumption was that this means that the Ghia rims are different from the rest of them and as such were only suited to the listed type...

Re: Dunlops... the LeMans LM602 that are currently on the car are only now finally worn -- I've had the car since 27,000km's and it's now sitting on 48,000km's with the same set of tyres. So at the very least I've done 21,000km's on those tyres, and I'm certain they weren't new when I got the car.... 10,000km's out of a set of tyres would be rather short-lived IMHO :-)

I'm calling up to see what my options and prices are in Bridgestones today.

Does anyone have any info compared with Goodyear vs Dunlop? I was reading that Goodyear now owns Dunlop, but I don't know how much tyre tech is shared between the two brands. While the Dunlop LeMans were the standard supply on the BA Ghia, the BF Ghia is now running the aforementioned Goodyear Excellence tyres.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

You can put 235/45/17s on them, an extra cm is going to make bugger all difference, and will give a much better choice of tyres at cheaper prices.

It not like your trying to put 275s on them or something.

Im running 215s on my R31 with 15x6 rims and they are fine, a little sidewall bulge but ive had no trouble with them.

1993 ED XR6 5speed Polynesian Green. Project car.

1998 EL XR8 Auto Hot Chilli Red. New daily and project

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Goodyear, Dunlop and Olympic are made at the same factorys. the parent company is called South Pacific Rubber and they label the tyres with differnt names to basicaly compete against themselfes. Although the technology is basicaly shared the different brands generaly have a signature technology which is unique and not shared mainly with high performance tyres or tyres related to a specific applecation.
Decide what it is you want from your tyres and how you drive on them before you buy. Tyres like Bridgestone g3 or dunlop lemans will give a fair life or even some of the cheeper brands like Federal are very good value for money. Bear in mind though that for a tyre to stick like glue it must be made with a softer rubber compound and will wear a lot quicker as well as usually costing more to start with.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:54 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

NSW, Australia

Latest quote is on the Bridgestone Potenza GIII's, quoted at $225/tyre. Looking at the tread pattern, the GIII's and Dunlop LeMans seem to bear more similarities to one another, whereas the Goodyear Excellence bears more of a resemblance to the Yokohama CDrives.

Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The bridgestone GIII is an excelent tyre and will out last and out handel the dunlop in all conditions.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next