Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Ute Suspension.
Posted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: BF XR8 Ute

SA, Australia

Hey guys,

Dont judge me haha.... but what is meant by resetting the rear leaf springs of a ute?

I was thinking of lowering mine and i have read the term "reset" a fair bit.
Also would my BF have any problems with 19" wheels and Superlow springs on the front?

If anyone has picture of their ute showing their ride height and what setup they have that would be great!

Cheers

Alan

Post subject: Re: Ute Suspension.
Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

you're an idiot! no just kidding dude, the term reset means that the springs are just adjusted usually lowered and returned to proper tension, for instance you could lower it by heating the springs with an oxy whilst the car was sitting on the ground but they would be crappy as the spring tension would be adversely affected, so they change the height but maintain spring integrity.

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Well you dont have rear springs, you have leafs, but the same deal applys when resetting.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

krisisdog wrote:
Well you dont have rear springs, you have leafs, but the same deal applys when resetting.

leaf springs!

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XH

NT, Australia

In the rear I have reset standard leaves and in the front I have Pedders Low springs. The rear leaves have very little bend in them, even with no load in the tray. It lowered my ute about 4.5cm but that's from Tradesman height which is a bit higher than GLi I think. I've got 17s with 225 tyres at the front and 245s at the rear. This is what it looks like.

Mine is an XH so different to a BA but I have had to roll my guards and there is some rubbing on full lock on the inner wheel well. The back is fine but if I hit a dip or causeway at speed I know about it. So if I have problems on lows with 17s, I'm guessing you will with supers on 19s.

That being said my setup was cheap and I didn't do swaybars, etc so if you went all out you probably could something that worked well.

I like my ute lower but holy s*** some of our roads are bad. If you notice them now wait till you lower it.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

i always thought resetting rear leaf spring height was movement of the mounting in relation to vertical height from the diff centre. (mounting them under the diff instead of over or packing them out)
you can't change the metallurgical properties of the spring steel, it's the angle & preset pressure (picture a triangle between diff centre and chassis mounts) that determines bounce.
However heating them up and sagging them would decrease the metallurgical properties of the 'leaf'. I guess hardening could make them stiffer, but they would also loose bounce & load carrying abilities.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

I got my springs already reset, but I think they take leaves out (most leaf spring setups are 4-6 leaves) and either re-position them or replace them with different ones rather than heating them. fairlane6970 was suggesting a way that it could be done, not necessarily a way that is usually done. Some people take the bottom leaf off and put it upside down on top too I believe.

Therefore as far as I know resetting the leaves changes the angle (by where they are positioned) and preset pressure (by which material is used) like you said. Herrod sell leaves with the eyes reversed to lower them so the actual leaves stay the same.

Ask a shop, they will be able to tell you with specific reference to your ute.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Cheers for the feedback. I think i will go all out and buy new leafs. I have a mate who is lowering his BA Ute and putting 20's on it. So i think i'll let him be the guinea pig first before i do buy anything. I don't wish to ruin the integrity of the steel and risk anything going wrong. Flipping the leaf upside down sounds interesting though. Do you know what height adjustment that would result in?

As far as the front end goes, what are the better shocks to put in? As i understand i need shorter shocks to cope with the shorter springs so the shocks don't bottom out. Has anyone had bad experiences with any brand of shock?

Thomas123 - your XH looks like a nice height, you don't have any trouble scraping i presume? The roads around where i live aren't too bad, i don't tend to venture off of my usual course so i know where most pot holes/dips are etc.

fairlane6970 - i really can be an idiot so i take no offence to that statement haha

Cheers

Alan

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

I don't have any problems scraping gutters etc but I do really notice potholes and damaged roads, particularly at highway speeds. But if you're in the city there it would be fine.

No idea about shocks cause I'm still using what was in there before. I imagine flipping the bottom leaf would lower the car twice the leaf thickness? I read about it on this site so a search should find something.

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You can buy the XR6/8/F6 rear springs for $465.00 each part number BAC 5556 H.

Maybe these people could give you a price on resetting your springs? http://www.sasuspension.com.au/

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:32 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Papa Smurf - Cheers for that, I own an XR8 Ute so i wouldn't require new leafs i would just use the ones i already have.

I called that suspension joint and they said they reset the leafs to the height you want, replace the front springs and leave the existing shockers as they have enough travel in them. Round a grand to do the whole job.

The car should sit with the guard level with the top of the tyre which is what i'm going for. Just need to save a little bit more cash and get it done!

Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Here is my AU.

Its got superlow King Springs in the front and superlow king spring leafs in the back.

The front shocks seem ok but the rear bottoms out a fair bit and I get bad axle tramp when trying to launch hard. When I swapped diffs over the old diff had the paint worn off where the bump stop was rubbing.

I like the height it is at but considering going back to stock to sort out the tramping issues.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]