Fordmods Logo

wanna improve acceleration 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: wanna improve acceleration
Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T ute

VIC, Australia

hey have an EB wagon and wanna improve acceleration coz my car really doesnt get outta bed till 3500rpm what should i do???? engine mods or diff?

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA MK11

VIC, Australia

Diff gear change is good,but fuel usage goes high,and best for around town only.

The older I get the better I was!

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

broadband manifold upgrade. shouldn't cost too much at all.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:04 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

if it is auto probley a small stall converter it will liven it up a bit but then u still got fuel consumption depending how big u go, or u could a small cam shaft and shave the head a little or u could do the lot if ya no worried about fuel consumption, cam and head, stally and diff gears.

i'm running 3:77's and it picks it up with no engine work yet, got a small camshaft to go in for some more go.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

If you want an all round performer, fit a 3.45:1 LSD, it will improve your handling, acceleration and towing/load carrying. There will be hardly any fuel penalty and many benefits.
After fitting an ELXR6 diff. to our EB2, we gained all the above and NO noticeable increase in fuel consumption associated with the more exotic ratios.
Also fitting a shift kit, if you have an auto [a $10-$20 mod] will liven things up as well.
If you haven't got them already, fit EF/EL thermo fans. They certainly felt better on our car, freer revving and better cooling.
Next, get extractors designed for grunt, not top end performance, because it's torque that gets you going and the log manifolds flow just fine. [Ask Joe at CMS, he has all the figures]
These are ways for definite and easy improvements, once you them done you'll have a better idea of you want to do to the engine.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T ute

VIC, Australia

thanks paul.... 1 i have done the thermo conversion and 2 shift kit nice and cheap tell me more where do i go???

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/shift-ki ... t2378.html
As you have an EB with the 60pin ECU, read on through this until you find the posts with the EB pins to use, I can't remember them off hand. If you're unsure PM 'BenJ' for advice, he's a great bloke and very helpful.
After driving his car [EB], I think I'd be using a 20ohm resistor instead of the 18ohm quoted in the thread for a less harsh, but still quick, change. That's what I'll be fitting when I can con him up to solder it for me. LOL
I had a 2.5" exhaust with 2 straight through mufflers made up by the local exhaust shop. It's quieter than the real expensive brands yet you would only notice a performance difference, if any, on a dyno not on the sreet. The cops pay no attention to our car but target the louder, often slower, cars as they can hear them from a fair distance when putting the boot in.
Anyhow, sort your diff choice and suspension out, add the shift kit and exhaust [if needed], then decide if and what you want to do with cams etc last.
This in IMO is the most economical and logical sequence in tuning your car to achieve your stated aim "improve acceleration" and have you better informed when choosing cam grinds etc.
Cheers,
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It is a stiky in the gearbox section of the forums i think
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:48 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I assume you have a single spinner ATM, if you go the diff gears your will want to find a LSD centre, otherwise you will only single peg when you bag it up, and the cars tendancy to light it up in corners will increase.

I have a car.

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: ef fairmont turbo

Power: 213 rwkw

VIC, Australia

dont bother with a 3.45, not much noticable gain in acceleration. go for 3.9 or 4.11. if you do alot of driving under 80km you shouldnt notice much increase in fuel consumption if any. it can also improve fuel consumption if you do alot of city driving.
ild say first go 4.11lsd
then a exhaust, extractors and cai. i doubt yould be complaining much after that.
best $2000 you can possibly spend on a auto 6

96 EF FAIRMONT
Garrett gt40turbo, iceman plenum, ported head, turbo cam, double valvesprings, 023 fuel pump, 36lb injectors 4' cat, 4' dump, 2.5 exhaust, build bottom end, hypertonic pistons rods & rods, king bearings, j3. c10 3500 stall
232rwkw@4psi

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]