Fordmods Logo

What has pedders done to my falcon? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: What has pedders done to my falcon?
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Alright to cut to the chase, I took my XR6 to pedders for a checkup & to get any work done that needed to be done.

I picked it up a few days later, started driving it home only to feel the worst vibration a car could ever make.

This was why, turns out they stuck the wrong trailing arms in, likely from an EF or some s**t like that.

I took it back and told them about it and they said they would sort it out.

It was smooth again but now it looks like this.

The car sat like this before I gave it to them.

Have they yet again stuck wrong arms in? What could be causing the car to sit like a 4WD at the rear?

The upper arm is sitting on the diff housing and I think the springs are sitting wierd, but I don't know.

EL Ghia

Post subject: Re: What has pedders done to my falcon?
Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

that last pic looks like the spring is sitting bent. is it located in the bottom properly? id be taking it back and tear them a new a***hole

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Dafuk????
Did they not even test drive the car afterwards? And how the f**k can anyone even remotely competent see that tail shaft/diff angle and think 'that's ok'????

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Wonder if they did the bolts up on the trailing arms while it was at full hang ?????...and now the bushes are wound up???....probably got a pimpley faced 17 year old with no clue to do the job.... :?

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL XR6

WA, Australia

Which Pedders was this Tyler?

I had the boys at Cannington fit me up a rear swaybar a while back, and after nearly 2 years of a strange knocking noise in the rear I discovered that they had put in the wrong swaybar (EF instead of EL) ...they sorted it, but only after I had proven my case, and had sourced the correct swaybar from Selbys ...and they still charged me for labour to fit the new one.

That doesn't look right at all, I'd be taking it back to them ASAP.

If you have no joy there, take it down to Brad at Pedders Mandurah, he's a PES boy, and will sort you out ;)

Hot Chilli Red EL XR6, 5-spd manual, with BF F6 TYPHOON motor and supporting mod's, 3" exhaust etc..
(298 rwkw @ 12 psi)

My car here: the-garage-f53/mark-s-el-xr6-bf-f6-dohc-transplant-in-progress-t106821.html
BF TYPHOON BOOSTED!!!

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Wrong arms in the wrong hole.

Rear hole is for 340mm Tickford arms.
Front hole is for 320mm std EL-AU arms.

This is an example why I do my own work for just about everything. You just can't trust people, even when they're paid to do a specific job.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

:shock: that's why I do all my work myself.. :shock:

I have gone through several a**hole now (self torn)... But at least I don't have to beat some useless prick who probably gets paid more than me cos he's got a piece of paper with certified mechanic written on it..

I'd be aiming for a full refund and using the photos as an example and the fact that suspension is their SPECIALTY.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:59 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EB XR8, Now Blown 1977 Mini S

QLD, Australia

By the looks of the rubber bushes in the arms on the diff, they have bulged already and will slowly be destroyed by the poor geometry.

Peddlers here in toowoomba "forgot" to tighten up the bolts on the lower control arms and were finger tight only. It was by chance when I had the headers and exhaust done that the shop told me to come down and have a look. I was gobsmacked and were within a few threads of letting go on both sides. Rang peddlers and they said they couldn't do anything unless they had the car in their shop and it was 1630 and they closed at 1700. I made it with five minutes to spare at their workshop, they were p****d but put it up on the hoist and looked at the mess. Needed new bushes across the entire front of the car plus a new sway bar as the ends had bent and the c clip retainers were all gone. Kind of explained all the knocking under the car and had done about 300 Kay's at this stage.

To add insult to injury, they then invoiced me for the work and parts to the tune of $750!!! Told the manager to f**k right off and got in the car and drove off. Came back the next day to find the manager had been sacked and the owner apologised profusely and gave me a voucher for $200 for the next time I came back.

In all disaster averted but gunshy of using them again.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
Peddlers here in toowoomba "forgot" to tighten up the bolts on the lower control arms and were finger tight only. It was by chance when I had the headers and exhaust done that the shop told me to come down and have a look. .

i had the same thing happen done here with my hq tonner. wasnt pedders, but took it to a suspension mob to do all the front bushes, 2 weeks later took it to another place to reset the rear springs and they notice when it was on the hoist that the lower control arm was only just held in by the thread of the bolts because the bolt kicked on an angle. really fills me with confidence that state of work that comes from some "professional" workshops

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

useually these fk ups are a result of when the mechanic goes on break / leaves for the day with the job half done and somone else wants to use the hoist assumes the job is done and drops the car.

shlthouse thing to happen but comes down to human error.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Benny D wrote:
useually these fk ups are a result of when the mechanic goes on break / leaves for the day with the job half done and somone else wants to use the hoist assumes the job is done and drops the car.

shlthouse thing to happen but comes down to human error.

at my work, a sign goes on the steering wheel saying "DO NOT DRIVE" etc plus the keys go in the pocket of the person working on it. to be honest, EVERY workshop should do this. saves f**k ups like this.

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:22 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

CPOCSM wrote:
By the looks of the rubber bushes in the arms on the diff, they have bulged already and will slowly be destroyed by the poor geometry.
I think it's more like cjh said - the car's been on a hoist with all weight off the rear wheels and if they're rubber bushes, they should've been tightened with weight on the wheels - shocks have probably done same way. The springs will look bowed with the axle tube bases pointing downwards. That and improper upper arm location just about cover it.
Can you fit upper arms the wrong way (rear eyes to front) ??
Being a wagon/ute man, it's not a problem. :P

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mark, I won't disclose which pedders it is, they were fairly good with the situation so I don't want to bring their store down.

Paul, are you able to label the following photo of the diff with what holes are correct for whatever arms?

EL XR6

EL Ghia

I'm taking it down to a different pedders on Monday, they said they'll get everything straight again.

EL Ghia

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

snap0964 wrote:
Can you fit upper arms the wrong way (rear eyes to front) ??
Being a wagon/ute man, it's not a problem. :P

Yeah you can, it happened to me on my ghia, doesn't affect the suspension in any way other than the S bend rubbing on the spring housing when you go over speedbumps.

EL Ghia

Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TyLeR3397 wrote:
Mark, I won't disclose which pedders it is, they were fairly good with the situation so I don't want to bring their store down.

Paul, are you able to label the following photo of the diff with what holes are correct for whatever arms?

EL XR6

EL Ghia

I'm taking it down to a different pedders on Monday, they said they'll get everything straight again.
How you've got them labeled is how they should be.

The longer EL Tickford arm must have a bend in it to clear the diff housing.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next