Fordmods Logo

not a car - but will go in the garage :) kelvinator fridge. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: not a car - but will go in the garage :) kelvinator fridge.
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Xr6 Turbo

VIC, Australia

well as a few people no i was looking for something to restore to release me from my boredom, so i finally found one on ebay that i had to have. its a kelvinator and i think it was made in the 1950's. i am just leaving now to go pick it up from beechworth (country victoria) near wangatratta. so here it is. ill be trying to get as much done over the next week and ahalf as i am on holidays. the fridge is working perfectly, thermostat works fine ect. it will be sprayed gloss black and all chrome will be taken off and sent off to get rechromed from all the shelving to hinges and badges. i have tried to google info on it with no results so if anyone knows what year it is please let me no. i hope its stamped on the fridge somewhere.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Previous cars

1995 ef futura - nothing special
2003 xr6 turbo 5 -speed 307rwkw

Post subject: Re: not a car - but will go in the garage :) kelvinator fridge.
Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:00 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:40 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: AU Fairlane

SA, Australia

hey, my cousin did the same thing with a similar fridge, i think it was the same as that looks mint as :) but his is really dark green but still looks black.

good luck with the project

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

lol make sure you put a beer in there for me man...
so are you just gonna restore it and keep it or sell it

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:23 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: Ford Falcon XG

VIC, Australia

thats a beauty mate good luck with it.did u get it for a good price?

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford EB II Falcon

SA, Australia

Nice Fridge ! Now Slam it and whack 20's on it and a 3inch Exhaust

OLD CAR: EB II Falcon, Everglade Green, 250thous (Rough Guess), Wildcat Extractors, 2.5 Exhaust with Muffler + Hot Dog, 18 Inch Rodney Jane Mags, XH Snorkel, EA MPEFI Tubing !

NEW CAR: 1996 TE Magna...Mods Soon To Come

Posted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

haha well i have picked up my fridge, it came from an older guy who's parents bought it either in the late 1940's or early 1950's. this was the first electric fridge in beechworth victoria :) how is that for a little bit of trivia. haha it has everything. all glass shelving, the glass meat tray. even has the cardboard tag for operation instructions. i cannot believe how good the condition of this fridge is. work will start as of tomorrow. my girlfriends dad can get paint free as he works for a paint company. and is tinting me some paint which is gloss black with a pearl through it. which will look amazing. i am trying to find a way to paint the inside of the fridge as there is some scratching on the white enamel. all shelving will be re-chromed aswell as the door handle and compressor cover handle. My dad is a sparky and all connections will be re ran aswell as new power lead installed. compressor is in good working order and runs silent. will be a great little project :)

i am unsure what will happen with the fridge once completed. more than likely keep the fridge but these go for a mint once done. but i think i am inlove already. i paid a total of $256.50 but you will never ever get a fridge like this, this cheap and in this good condition. you would pay up for $700.00 for a fridge with all original glass trays ice trays butter tub. everything is there. i am over the moon and so excited to start

we drove 270kms to get the fridge and cost $23.71 in gas to get the fridge :-) but drove up in a vt crappodore :-( with a dual axle trailor behind :) the girlfriends dad came up with me (as i have no car atm) and was talking about he had no trouble with the car only has ever had to replace the starter motor over 7 years and that he had his cooling system cleaned and flushed rar rar rar. on the way back from beechworth we stopped just before Seymour at a truck stop to take a leak. turned the car off checked over all ropes. took a leak came back to listen to a tissssss puhhhhhhh (steam) going everywhere with nice greeny coolant running under the car :) out came the holden jokes :) hehe :P pop the bonnet all coolant hose's are fine. found the core to have blown out. so called racv to get a tow to Seymour and drop us off at the radiator shop in Seymour. whilst waiting using a shifter and a flat head screw driver removed the old radiator but left the trasmission cooler lines connected :) put all parts in the boot. arrived at Seymour to find a thunderstorm on the way. purchased a new radiator at 270.00 + 40.00 for coolant. and i replaced the radiator in the pouring rain using a shifter and a flat head screwdriver. tested all lines filled and ran till there were no more air bubbles. and proceeded to drive the next 45mins home. car ran super cool which was good and checked coolant levels once we had drivin down the road.

so thats the story hehe bed time now here are a few photo's

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Previous cars

Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

made some real progress today. started by masking up the shed to convert to a sanding bay/spray booth :P removed all chrome fittings. door handle, badges removed all internals of the door, door seal and started sanding the fridge. progress photo's will be up. soon.

Previous cars

Posted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well guys a bit has been done. pictures show the story. only a little sanding to do now. traced all wiring in fridge, and dad will be wiring it all late this week. all the guts of the door have been pulled out. handle gone all chrome is gone and will be calling around tomorrow for someone to rechrome the lot. tuesday the primer will go on, rub it back wednesday and hoping for paint thursday/friday. will be gloss black with a pearl :) paint cards will come home friday to get a real colour :)

feedback will be great :)

Previous cars

Posted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i see no one has any interest in this at all but stuff ya anyway, dropped the shelving and handles and badges to get chromed today. $120.00 to do it all and will be two weeks away :) changed my mind on paint. its now black with aluminum flakes in it :D will post up a colour card tomorrow when the sun is out. :D happy days

Previous cars

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

wow your on the ball man keep at it ..

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

i love this, theres nothing wrong with a bit of a side project to sex something up again. You'll put a new pump in it?

I have a bar fridge that i want to paint up envy green and hit with a heap of clear. tried to use the front door as a whiteboard and it worked (for a few weeks) then stopped. now its all stuck to the front.

Keep us posted mate

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

well i got a few sample cards sent to me today :) all jet black with aluminum flakes at 10% 20% 30% i chose the 30% as it makes a pop effect. both shots are of the 30% in different sun lights. im super excited and it will be painted over the weekend if i have the time. all wiring will be done tomorrow.

i wont be putting a new compressor in the fridge as its working perfectly fine and the fridge keeps drinks ice cold and would freeze everything if the thermostat was turned all the way around :)

Previous cars

Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

another update, well a bit has stalled since last time. work and such i have quit my job and now just about to start another. today dad re wired the fridge looking good. this friday the fridge will be high filled and then slightly rubbed back and then top coat's will be on saturday morning or sunday morning. wiring is just about finished. will refit all internals to the fridge and then mask up and get ready for paint :)

Previous cars

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]