EF Falcon Headlights Not Working 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Falcon Headlights Not Working
Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:14 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Ford Falcon

WA, Australia

Hi guys,

My headlights are not working, both high beam and low beam. High beam light doesn't appear on the dash when flicking the stalk (combo switch is plugged in) Park lights work.

Have tried the following

1. Replaced globes (didn't need to, as I bridged terminals on the relay block to test and they work fine)
2. Replaced both low and high beam relays
3. Replaced circuit breaker (there is power feed coming into the breaker)
4. Replaced headlight switch
They still do not work

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: EF Falcon Headlights Not Working
Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 12:33 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

check red/yellow at dipper switch with headlight switch on should have earth(from headlight switch) -

if correct check for earth at orange(low beam) in low beam position
and earth at green/red(hi beam) in hi beam position at dipper switch -

if you apply your own earth at low and hi wires of dipper switch above
-relay for each beam should pull in and bring lights on....circuit breaker feeds power to both relays........black wire should be earth feeds to dipper switch and headlight switch....

Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:13 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

TedW- I poked around with my test light on the wires that you mentioned and my lights were flicking on and off.

Traced the wires up to the stalk and found the indicator stalk wasn't seated properly inside the high beam switch. From this switch I have also learned that it controls the low beam too.

The trouble I'm having now is: I have the low beam turned on, but when I turn the high beam on the low beam cuts out, and the pull back function (dipper) to test the lights doesn't work either.

Could just be me and I'm not getting the stalk seated properly in the switch or the switch itself is stuffed.

Cheers

P.S. I would have sent this post a few weeks ago, but for some reason I was blocked from posting.

Posted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:41 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

suggest checking out wreckers for another switch - sounds like not locating properly in switch or contacts have lost there tension -

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Ok now it's all good, now that I have a new combo switch installed.

The drama I'm having now is that when I pull the dipper function back I only get high beams not a mix of high/low as it should be. I get the same thing when I have the low beam switch on, flick to high and low beams cut out.

It's a front end conversion to the XR lights, so I've figured out that the H4 globes from the original housing has 2 filaments and the XR type H1 only has 1 filament. Could this be the case that I've done the front end conversion that the lights are setup differently? If so, would the wiring need to be modified or a diode be wired in place for the lights to function correctly?

Cheers

Last edited by GrantEF2014 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:25 pm 
Oompa Loompa

WA, Australia

Having said all that and after the tongue tying I've found the problem - I've been reading a thread on FordMods for EA-ED falcon XR Quad headlight conversion and it was saying that I needed a diode and 5 pin relay in place for the correct mix of high beam/low beam when pushing the stalk forward for high beam and pulling the stalk back for flashers. I discovered that I didn't use a 5 pin relay on the low beam and used a 4 pin instead. Found a spare 5 pin relay in my toolbox and viola! It's all functioning correctly now!

So thanks for all your help :-)

P.S. I actually felt like a idiot when I went to purchase a diode. Oh well, not the biggest waste of $2, think I'll use it to make my mates fog lights come on the same time as his high beam in his BF.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]