Fordmods Logo

Getting power from a v8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Getting power from a v8
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:11 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EA Falcon

ACT, Australia

Ok so I have owned 6's my whole life, and one very wild 4.

Im toying with the idea of going to a v8 and looking for a cost effective means of doing this. ive decided the only way to get real power out of a 6 is going to be to add a turbo. Ive added turbos in the past where turbos dont belong and it only brought me pain, ultimately.

My question is that if fitting a v8 to an EA. Which would be the engine of choice?
I have a good mechanic willing to help out so mods and welding wont be a drama.

I have considered a BA 5.4 but I expect by the time all the supporting mods are fitted that I may as well just buy a BA 5.4 car..

Have seen many EB v8s going for a fair price, but think if they're only going to make <200kw whats thee point? Trying to find the right "bang for buck" value.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Getting power from a v8
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:22 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

you could fit a au 220kw in there with ease, but the price the 220kw engines go for its questionable if its worth it..
otherwise any au 50l can be fitted, then go with modifying that..

but if your trying to get big power cheap, its not going to happen..

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:02 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
you could fit a au 220kw in there with ease, but the price the 220kw engines go for its questionable if its worth it..
otherwise any au 50l can be fitted, then go with modifying that..

but if your trying to get big power cheap, its not going to happen..

Not bad.. 220kw is ok for a simple transplant. How much extra weight gain from the 6 though?

I guess big power is subjective. Id be happy with 300kw. Thats only up 80 from standard. Seems achievable. But I know nothing of v8s.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

If ya want cheap V8 power, go an LS Chev V8 conversion of some sort.
If ya want Ford, then a 347 Stroker...alloy heads to lighten it up.
If ya want expensive Ford, go the Coyote 5.0 supercharged.

It's up to you.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Another thing to consider is that the EA was never fitted with a V8 so you will require engineering for Insurance etc.

Maybe better off looking at a V8 EB or if you actually want to do the conversion, buy an EB 4.0 and fit a 5.0.

Remember also that with the engine you fit, it will require to meet the Emissions laws for the year of the motor.

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:18 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

SWC wrote:
Another thing to consider is that the EA was never fitted with a V8 so you will require engineering for Insurance etc.

Maybe better off looking at a V8 EB or if you actually want to do the conversion, buy an EB 4.0 and fit a 5.0.

Remember also that with the engine you fit, it will require to meet the Emissions laws for the year of the motor.
\

Is the EB even different to the EA? Weight, or brake size... anything? Are they likely to make me do an IM240 test for a standard v8?

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:19 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

SWC wrote:

\

Is the EB even different to the EA? Weight, or brake size... anything? Are they likely to make me do an IM240 test for a standard v8?

Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:31 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Remember that the XE and XF were basicly the same car, bar cosmetic difference and the main one that you couldn't have an XF V8 as Ford didn't make any.

If you fit a V8 to an XF, which is quite easily done, it needs engineering, no questions asked. Same applies to the EA, no V8. Ford did not make a road going V8 EA. It will require engineering and Blueslip and Emissions test.

Barnfind-EA wrote:

As for weight, I would say without checking that the EA and EB a re pretty close in curb weight.

As for brakes, same size brake from EA to the EL. Only the handbrake was different when they went to EF.

As for standard V8, who says that it is a standard V8, you? They won't take your word on it.how many people declare that they have a stroked 347/363 etc instead of the stock 5.0.

You are in the ACT, and from word of mouth, I understand thet they are harder than NSW on modifications.

Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

IM240 emissions test is only required if you modify the engine i.e. Different heads, intake, valve train components an increase in bore/stroke or adding forced induction (turbo/super charger). A stock for stock swap doesn't need IM240 providing none of the emissions equipment has been removed or tampered with.

Please guys the amount of misinformation floating around is disheartening, especially from long term members who should know better. Lift your game guys.

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 am 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

A 393+ cube 351w is what you want. put a stock 5.0 in first then swap it out after it's rego'd :D

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

XR9UTE wrote:
A 393+ cube 351w is what you want. put a stock 5.0 in first then swap it out after it's rego'd :D

With all that horsepower, his diff and gearbox are going to break before he gets out of the driveway... :lol:

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:58 pm 
EFI Guru

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: 351 Vogue,XH 5.0,'17 5.0 Stang

WA, Australia

Shortshift wrote:
XR9UTE wrote:

With all that horsepower, his diff and gearbox are going to break before he gets out of the driveway... :lol:

minor details :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]