Fordmods Logo

Help chooseing a turbo 

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

its a GT40 with a custom exhaust housing & internal gate.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:22 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

CHEF wrote:
Also GT35/40 hybrid is more suited to a smaller motor such as an RB30, 1JZ... a straight GT40 is a better size for 4lt... but it all depends on wheel sizings and housings too

I'm not sure it is more suited to smaller motors. I have found my set-up to be a pretty good balance of

- Outright maximum power
- Fast spool time
- Everyday driveability (especially in the midrange)

I have only been in a handfull of other turbo carsbut none drove as well all round.

The T4 is a very popular turbo for the 5litre motor if you dont want to spend the extra money on a roller bearing turbo.
It can reach some very good rwkw numbers and still spools pretty quickly.

PS i'm not sure why rebuild cost is such an issue? if you treat the turbo well you should get ooo' sof km from them. Also you get longer life with a roller bearing turbo anyway

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon EGas

WA, Australia

So what turbo have you got again pyro??

BA Falcon Futura on EGas. Stock as...

EF 5 speed manual; PH 4480 Pacemaker Headers; 2 1/2" Lukey Mandrel Bent System; Hi Flow Walker Cat; Stage 3 Crow Cam; ChipTorque Chip; 3" Mandrel Bent Intake; K&N Pod Filter; Low Pedders Suspension; 17" EL GT Champagne Rims; RPM Series Clutch

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

CHEF wrote:
Yes the XR6T's turbo is definatly more than enough for a street car... What Im saying about using a biiger turbo is to reduce the instant torque which is nearly always too much and shift the power up higher and also reduce boost... thats some of the benifits of a larger turbo.

The XR6 turbo is a specially made turbo for ford, but it is very similar to a GT40. There is alsorts of names for it going around... but its closest to a GT40

It all comes down to personal preferance. You like a bit of a safety gap in your power delivery and rev range. I want my turbo's to spool up as early as possible and hold their boost for as far up the rev range as possible. in other words I want a fat and flat torque curve as that is what wins drag races at the end of the day.

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

It all comes down to personal preferance. You like a bit of a safety gap in your power delivery and rev range. I want my turbo's to spool up as early as possible and hold their boost for as far up the rev range as possible. in other words I want a fat and flat torque curve as that is what wins drag races at the end of the day.[/quote]

You'll get that anyway...

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Yeah, not baggin GTs... I'd have one on mine too but I dont see the need on my motor, the T4 works well, but I will be putting a larger comp housing and wheel on it some time soon, that will enable me to get the same power but at lower psi

Post subject: Re: Help chooseing a turbo
Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:41 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

dleach80 wrote:
ok here i go iam in the begining of building an EL turbo motor, i am goin to replace all internals so it will be fairly strong, any way my prob was what turbo shall i bolt on, i was looking on the internet at turbos and i ended up thinking i wnt sumfin with good power,quick spool up rate and not to harsh on the back pocket so this is what i have found GT35/40 Turbo, TO4E, TO4B or a T70 i found sum very good deals for the T70 what do you guys recon with that turbo and the others what will be the best job has to be fairly reliable turbo as the car will be a daily driver and will it be hard to get a manifold for a T3 flange hope for sum help here from you guys soon

cheers guys

Its funny with this thread because everything except the T70 are turbo "frames" or cartridges! Even the Garret GT series turbos can be ordered in ball bearing or non-ball bearing versions. GCG will also pretty much put any compressor wheel onto a GT ball bearing centre on a special order basis. Although every aftermarket turbo should be "special order" to ensure it does what you want (within reason).

The T70 is a compressor wheel which obviously has a map from which you can make an informed decision for you turbo needs.

dleach80 what you need to work out is:
how much power you want,
how much boost you want,
what type of boost response and,
any potential future upgrades.

From this it becomes a matter of finding the best compressor map. Garret GT maps can be hard to read due to not much detail so speak with the Garret dealer if you want a GT series turbo. The GT series turbo compressor wheels are supposed to be current technology which results in better power, boost response, etc than other wheel designs regardless of a ball bearing centre.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2