Fordmods Logo

Ed ef el au diff question. Are they all the same 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Ed ef el au diff question. Are they all the same
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:53 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 71 xy gt and 85 xf s pac

WA, Australia

Hi there just checked my Ed xr8 diff and found its bent.

Want to get another one but was wondering if anyone out there will know if an ef el or au diff fit the same without any mods. If so what was difference about the 6 cyl diff and the v8 diff.

I know ratios might change but I'm not fussed.

"I usually downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment"

Post subject: Re: Ed ef el au diff question. Are they all the same
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

not sure about 6 cylinder and v8 being the same, i think they are, and as for au, i think they are the same except for au's with live axle

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

lol bah...

AU has a different offset, so the diff is slightly wider (don't know the amount off the top of my head).
as far as i know, AU diff should bolt in same same bar the handbrake setup (see below), but you would need to always use AU preset wheels on the rear.

EF/EL and AU has a different handbrake setup to the EA-ED though and would require some mods to retain the EB handbrake, or you would need to fit an EF/EL handbrake and cable.

you are best off just getting a diff from an EB - ED.
all diffs EB-ED are 28 spline, just as your ED XR8, only difference would be that yours might have 3.45 gears (XR6 do, unsure bout XR8, but should be same) and you will have an LSD.
XR6 and XR8 diffs also have multiple control arm mounting points to change the pivot angle.
the extra mounting points are not required for normal use - so you can change diff housings and won't make a difference, but you may require different upper control arms, perhaps someone else can provide info for this.

if you cbf you could just get a bare diff housing (and if you have a bend axle, replacement axle) and have all the gear swapped over and maybe freshened up if you have some cash, but would cost around $300-$450 for the gear swap alone and would lose the extra mounting points.

if you don't care about losing the diff ratio which would mean going to 3.08 as well as losing the extra mounting points, just look out for any EB-ED 28 spline (as they should all be) LSD.

otherwise you're left with single spinners and 3.08 gears.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:26 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

yehbaby wrote:
Hi there just checked my Ed xr8 diff and found its bent.

Want to get another one but was wondering if anyone out there will know if an ef el or au diff fit the same without any mods. If so what was difference about the 6 cyl diff and the v8 diff.

I know ratios might change but I'm not fussed.

EA/EB1 have smaller bush mounts for the control arms and different hand brake set up to EF/EL.

EBII/ED have larger bushes but different Hand brake setup as per EA/EBI.

EF/EL have larger bushes well as different hand brake to the EA/EB/ED models.

EL have 2 mount point for the upper control arms to improve the pinnion angle.

AU have a different offst to the E series.

You can mount you brake setup from you ED to the EF/EL diff and it will bolt up Troyman has done this.

You say you are not worried about the Diff Ratio's but if you go from 3:45 to 3:08 you will. Also your is an LSD, most diff's getting around arn't. May be better to pick up another diff and as said above get the centre fitted from yours to the new one and refreshed.

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ea fairmont ghia

VIC, Australia

I have a ea fairmont ghia 89 model and am wanting to change to a ef diff houseing do i have to change much and is the tailshaft bolt up difrent to ea wat else has to b changed to make thais happin

Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

eafairmontghia89 wrote:
I have a ea fairmont ghia 89 model and am wanting to change to a ef diff houseing do i have to change much and is the tailshaft bolt up difrent to ea wat else has to b changed to make thais happin

the tailshaft will need to be changed [i think] as diff mounting for the tailshaft is differant ie early was uni mounted & laters was a flat plate & brakes/handbrake will depend on what will be on EF diff. if can grab a complete diff

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]