possible bcm problem 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: possible bcm problem
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:34 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: el fairmount

VIC, Australia

Hi
I have a 1996 6 cylinder el fairmount with a couple of problems I hope someone can help me with
Recently my trip computer climate control dislpay and odometer cannot be read in the daylight, too dark, but they work perfectly at night.
As I see it all 3 displays have a day time lighting circuit that is fed from the body control module and controled by the lighting switch
Today, when I flashed the headlights, the smart lock light flashed came on for a couple of seconds the radio cut out and the engine cut out for a couple of seconds, the it all came good.
A little later I rurned the lights on and the same thing happned.
I drove for another hour, stopping twice including turning the lights off and locking the car with the remote control without any problems.
I suspect I have an issue with the BCM, any suggestions please

Post subject: Re: possible bcm problem
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

oldjocktom wrote:
Hi
I have a 1996 6 cylinder el fairmount with a couple of problems I hope someone can help me with
Recently my trip computer climate control dislpay and odometer cannot be read in the daylight, too dark, but they work perfectly at night.
As I see it all 3 displays have a day time lighting circuit that is fed from the body control module and controled by the lighting switch
Today, when I flashed the headlights, the smart lock light flashed came on for a couple of seconds the radio cut out and the engine cut out for a couple of seconds, the it all came good.
A little later I rurned the lights on and the same thing happned.
I drove for another hour, stopping twice including turning the lights off and locking the car with the remote control without any problems.
I suspect I have an issue with the BCM, any suggestions please

check all earths at battery are connected -
check back light globes(dash light) are ok -
is dash light rheostat turned up -
check battery voltage (12 volts standing -9.5 volt cranking) and charging approx. 14 volts running

Post subject: Re: possible bcm problem
Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: el fairmount

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the advice
Found the problewm with the display lights, they were turned down with the lighting switch, only had the car for 4 years and did not know how to adjust the dash lights.
As for the smartlock light flashing, I found a fault in the alternator which I believe was causing the problem.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]