Fordmods Logo

better cam for AU II XR8 

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:02 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUII XR8

NT, Australia

springs and retainers are included in the head work price.

another lame a** query...what were the upgrades to the AU XR8 series 2 to the series 3. were there any differences? (apart from the adaptive shift sticker on the auto console)

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

The $1500 to $2k price, I assume that is cam etc + head work, not just the head work itself.

Those prices are quite reasonable, but I don't know how he can install the cam without valve springs. The GT40P ones are crap so I would defenitly be upgrading them. Porting, obviously by the price you are not going to get much, possibly just a port match but you really don't need much anyway.

AU3 XR8's got the 220kw engine (I think late series 2's did but not sure). Anyway they had larger throttle body (dont know why), different cam, port matching of the intake manifold, and the heads were redone by yella terra with larger valves and minor porting which increased flow by around 10%.

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:22 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: AUII XR8

NT, Australia

NO... that $1500-$2000 is just the head work itself! which includes springs/retainers. the cam job is $1200, which includes new timing gear and obviously fitting. total cost - $2700 + :(

my car has the 220kW engine, signed by a Ajith Francis. i don't think the intake manifold was port matched, as mick webb had a look and said he needs to do it.

is it really worth the extra cost of the head work, or should i just settle for the cam? :?

Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

IMO no head work is needed but you do need springs, with the specs on the cam I can't see how he could leave the stock springs in there, but Mick usually is spot on with his suggestions. The 220kw heads already flow around 220cfm which is plenty for a 5L. If you were buildign a stroker then I would say yeah get them ported but not for a 5L. Check with him again regarding the springs and as I said maybe just opt for the cam and spring upgrade.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2