Fordmods Logo

BA Fairlane XR8 conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Fairlane XR8 conversion
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:37 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I'm after some straight up answers here on putting a Boss 260 into a BA Fairlane that's got a 6.

I've done some searching and can't seem to find much, so if someone has links that would be great.

I know the wiring loom and ECU would need to come from the V8 engine.

I am assuming that the since the Fairlane has the crappy V8, the frame is the same as the 6? This would be the biggest issue to start with. I have read that the frame on the BA XR8 can fit right up to the FGX coyote V8.

I have the 4 speed, but would probably change to the ZF, but don't see issues here as they are mounted to 6 and 8's.

Tailshaft might be interesting. I'm not sure the Fairlane V8 is the same as the XR8 tailshaft?

Any other issues?

Cheers and TIA

Post subject: Re: BA Fairlane XR8 conversion
Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:05 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

bnapoleon wrote:
I'm after some straight up answers here on putting a Boss 260 into a BA Fairlane that's got a 6.

I've done some searching and can't seem to find much, so if someone has links that would be great.

prob need the pats removed from the PCM [ECU] if your doing a stand alone. and match gearbox [i believe?]

bnapoleon wrote:
I am assuming that the since the Fairlane has the crappy V8, the frame is the same as the 6? This would be the biggest issue to start with. I have read that the frame on the BA XR8 can fit right up to the FGX coyote V8.

not sure on the frame, i believe you can use the 6 cylinder frame as the changed the engine mounts to suit fram [again not 100%].

bnapoleon wrote:
I have the 4 speed, but would probably change to the ZF, but don't see issues here as they are mounted to 6 and 8's.

believe it can be done however there is some wiring changes [?] & you need the matching box to wiring/PCM/BEM [again not 100%].

bnapoleon wrote:
Tailshaft might be interesting. I'm not sure the Fairlane V8 is the same as the XR8 tailshaft?

isn't the Fairlane same length between the wheels as the wagooon? [xtended wheelbase] or was that only to the au/NU??

bnapoleon wrote:
Any other issues?
exhaust.

bnapoleon wrote:
Cheers and TIA

hopefully i gave ya 'some help' :roll: :mrgreen:

Cheers

Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: EF-XR6/XG-6/XE-V8- project

bnapoleon wrote:

Any other issues?

Cheers and TIA

If you have a donor vehicle with all the relevant parts necessary it should be fairly straightforward but if you are trying to adapt what you have to work with the boss engine it will turn into a money pit I think.

XG DOHC-BARRA 182/Turbo kit/20% Underdrive and BA 4-SPEED + Tiptronic shifter

https://youtube.com/channel/UCaRUQ10of3FlOuSpvfapOtA

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:24 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
bnapoleon wrote:

prob need the pats removed from the PCM [ECU] if your doing a stand alone. and match gearbox [i believe?]

bnapoleon wrote:

not sure on the frame, i believe you can use the 6 cylinder frame as the changed the engine mounts to suit fram [again not 100%].

bnapoleon wrote:

believe it can be done however there is some wiring changes [?] & you need the matching box to wiring/PCM/BEM [again not 100%].

bnapoleon wrote:

isn't the Fairlane same length between the wheels as the wagooon? [xtended wheelbase] or was that only to the au/NU??

bnapoleon wrote:
Any other issues?
exhaust.

bnapoleon wrote:
Cheers and TIA

hopefully i gave ya 'some help' :roll: :mrgreen:

Cheers

I never thought of the Pats to be removed.

I did some reading on trans and I think the ZF has it's own TCU on the trans, but the 4 speed was built into the PCM, but the ZF is an after thought for me as a nice to have.

The tailshaft I was just wondering if there was a difference between the 6cyl vs the V8's? like being stronger or are they identical?

And yes I was aware about the exhaust, but that is a minor thing in the scheme.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

johnnyeHCF wrote:
bnapoleon wrote:

Any other issues?

Cheers and TIA

If you have a donor vehicle with all the relevant parts necessary it should be fairly straightforward but if you are trying to adapt what you have to work with the boss engine it will turn into a money pit I think.

Yeah this would be the simplest, but trying to get one seems to be very difficult.

Posted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

bnapoleon wrote:

Yeah this would be the simplest, but trying to get one seems to be very difficult.

yeah about the time ford stopped making the prices for the old ones went up.

Posted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:27 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: BA 3VM

NSW, Australia

bnapoleon wrote:
I am assuming that the since the Fairlane has the crappy V8

Any other issues?

Cheers and TIA

Why is the 220 a crappy V8? Some of us have never had any issues!

You would be best buying a V8 Fairlane and reconditioning the motor and gearbox and drving that.

You will be wasting your time and money unless you already have a donor car with it all in!

Posted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:13 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I have G220. The 3v V8 suits the Fairlane. It's has nice low down torque for cruising the highways where it is at home. I can't comment on the BA XR8 as I haven't driven it. I have driven a FPV BA ute, it felt like it needed to rev more compared to the Fairlane.

If you are chasing power and don't need a V8 the six can be modified for a turbo. The Barra is cool motor.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]