Post subject: Fuel pump not priming
Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Hi guys and gals,

I have a strange one that's doing my head in. I have had my EF XR6 wagon parked up for about 18 months, and decided to get it operating again. It was overdue for a fuel filter, so I replaced it. While I as at it, I drained the old fuel from the tank using the fuel pump, and replaced it with fresh. The fuel pump was priming just fine, both before and after the filter replacement. When I went to start the car, it ran roughly for about 5 seconds, then stopped, and won't fire again. It turns out that the fuel pump has stopped working, so the engine is getting no fuel, and it doesn't even prime now.

This is what I have checked so far:
- Pulled the fuel pump relay, jumped the connector directly to the battery, and the fuel pump runs just fine. So, both the pump and the wiring from the relay to the pump are fine.
- Tested both the fuel pump and ECU relays. Both are closed when energised and open when not energised. So, the relays are all good.
- Tested the 30A ENG fusible link, and it is fine. Swapped it with one of the other 30A links just to be sure.
- Earthed terminal D of the diagnostic connector, and turned the ignition On. Fuel pump does NOT go.
- Checked the resistance of the fuel pump at the connector, and got 1.2 ohms. Under 10, so all good.
- Swapped the ECU with another known good one. The pump still won't prime. The ECU is a remanufactured unit with very little use, anyway.
- The fuel pump is near new - maybe 10,000 kms on it.
- Pulled the #1 injector from the rail, and about 100mls of fuel ran out, so there is no blockage in the fuel lines. Even after releasing any possible pressure, the pump won't prime.

I have checked all the related threads I could find, but found nothing that solves my problem.

Any ideas on what to check next? I'm fully expecting to be embarrassed because it's something really obvious. Thanks for the help.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]