Fordmods Logo

EF/EL XR Lower control arms on ED? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: EF/EL XR Lower control arms on ED?
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:47 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XR8

SA, Australia

I heard a story today about someone putting ef/el xr lower control arms on their ed, i think it had something to do with changing the position of the diff...

Just wondering if anyone has done it or heard of it? And if there are any benifits to it?

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

Yeah, use EF upper contorl arms on the diff, (top bolts) or use the standard upper control arms on the normal holes on the diff .

If use you the ED ones on the top points, your pinon will be out big time

hope that heaps.

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:56 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

You will have to explain it a bit simpler to me, i'm stupid today...

Will this raise or lower the diff? Or neither. Just wondering because i was told it may stop my bottoming out problem (the tailshaft scrubbing the trans tunnel, and eating bump stops...)

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Power: 315 rwkw

NSW, Australia

What are the handling benifits?

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:04 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

I believe Ford moved the mounting points on the diff to improve the car's Instant Centre(IC). This helps the car apply the power to the road more effiiciently and hopefully create rise not squat in the rear under acceleration.

Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:49 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Changing control arms wont raise or lower the diff in anyway, just locate it in a different angle in relation to the body, depending what arms you put in.

As far as I know, measurements included, all lower control arms, whether is be EB or EL or GLi or XR are the same. The upper ones differ slighly between models in lengths and designs. The upper mouting points on EA to EF are the same. EL's have 3 holes drilled on the bracket, and get different arms depending on model.

In your case, I'm guessing you running on superlows or something similar. And its the spring which dictates the diff height to the body. So if you want low springs, you havent got much choice.

Do you have the factory bumpstop bolted in above the diff?

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:09 am 
Parts Gopher

SA, Australia

i have custom made lowered springs, and the stock bump stop, thought about getting another one made but just don't know where?

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:36 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

So you got the standard black block that mounts to the floorpan just above the diff. It was standard fitments on XR's and falcons with the lowered/ticky suspension.

I cant really offer you where to go apart from raising the suspension, which im sure is out of the question. I cant see where a different bumpstop would help that much, apart from limit the suspension travel even more if its longer or a harder material. But that would make for an interesting ride.

I have a mate with an EB and another with an EL, and they both have normal king lows in the back end, and there are marks on the tunnel from the flange hitting it, and im guessing thats higher than your car. Whereas I have standard tickford EL suspension on my EL and have no marks. Must just be that 1cm higher that makes the difference.

A friend of a friend had a stupidly lowered VR, and the diff flange hit the floorpan that hard and often that it put a hole in the floor.

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

changing the pinion angle to much or too little will either cause vibration or eccessive wear in the Uni joints. the prefered pinion angle is 4deg thats with the diff tilting fwd.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]