Fordmods Logo

computer mods 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: computer mods
Posted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:51 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: 1998 AU XR LOOK A LIKE

QLD, Australia

has anyone had an chiptorque chip installed in an au 6 cylinder and how did it go, you have any problems? Im looking at getting some head work, stage 3 crow cam and chip done on the dyno.

JUST LOVE BLOWING THE DOORS OFF HOLDEN PIECES OF S--T!

Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: GT MKII

QLD, Australia

Hi excop,

I'm getting one in Jan. I'm going the same route as you, but with the chip and a diff first to suit cam etc later on. Stay tuned.

cogdoc@yahoo.com.au

Greg.

The older I get the better I was.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:21 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: BA Fairmont Ghia

NSW, Australia

Save your money !!

Chiptorque Chips are CRAP. I have an EB Fairmont with 2.5 inch exhaust, Genie Headers and a K & N filter. I was told that a chip would make the difference - absolutely no bloody difference. :shock: :oops:

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:22 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Save your money !!

Chiptorque Chips are CRAP. I have an EB Fairmont with 2.5 inch exhaust, Genie Headers and a K & N filter. I was told that a chip would make the difference - absolutely no bloody difference. :shock: :oops:

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Save your money !!

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:46 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

OK I got it first time. You don't like chiptorque.

I am open to hear why though.

I am a big sceptic too but still open enough to discuss it.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

With head and cam work the chiptorque chip will offer some good results, especially if it is real time tuned. The off the shelf units aren't as good, but chiptorque do have a lot of info on cam specs and design (especially crow cams) etc so they should be able to do something reasonable. On a stock engine though you will see next to no improvement, probably a little throttle response but that is all.

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

stay awy from chips! the mods your are planning on doing i would suggest aftermarket ECU.
IE the chip is only good for what u get it tuned to ie say exhaust and cam
once u add head work then u need new chip = more $$ these $$ of both tuned chips can easy pay for aftermarket ecu :)
as for what one well i wont the EMS 8860 like SVO XR6 but with auto au i have been told no :( may need to call EMS

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
as for what one well i wont the EMS 8860 like SVO XR6 but with auto au i have been told no :( may need to call EMS

Did they give you a reason why it the 8860 cannot be used on an auto AU?

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

nope need to call tehm jonno told em be hard or even more $$ $ i was drunk when he told me

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:39 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: fairmont ghia

WA, Australia

hey disco frank i brought the autronic sm2 computer for my car and its an auto all they do i was told is keep your orginal computer in to run the aircon etc and the autronic to run the fuel and air.. im gettin spped works to put it in for me should be goin in the next 2 weeks or so ..there pretyy booked out..

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: GT MKII

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the input guys. I will say that I am of the understanding that there are off the shelf "general" chips for cars, or ones they flash on a dyno in real time. That is what I am doing as Chiptorque is in my work area.

They were very upfront in saying there would be mabey 5-10 kw on a stock car, and it would make a difference with mods, such as exhaust. They also mentioned it costs $595 for the chip, and all you pay for from then on is a dyno to reflash the chip with your new mods. I'd be wanting that anyway, as all the "name" cams/packages come from down south, so I'd be mail ordering them anyhow.

We all know falcons run rich, especially when you plant it, so if the chip can keep the mixture at a better ratio, I figure I'm in front already. I need to raise the rev limiter, and to even out the bottom end with a cam for my auto. If the chip simply does these two things, I'll be happy.

How can a computer chip really enhance the physical characteristics of a pump ( engine ) other than keeping the air/fuel ratio & timing optimal?

I am planning a street fighter "mild" type cam, very very mild head work, raise of compression, exhaust to match cam, and a 3.73 LSD. I'm after a jump in 0-100, not top end, or peak KW. Sure a manual would achieve this, but I drive around the city all day for work, and the auto is nice for that.

I also think the inlet air temp, and overall length/volume of the intake has quite an effect on torque, which is what we are all after. That said, most road cars are tuned for maximum torque, as this makes for an easy drive. Then again, they are also designed to be quiet.........so I think there's a bit to be had yet. The search continues.......

The older I get the better I was.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]