Straight Gas 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Straight Gas
Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Hi,

I was just wondering if someone could tell me what exactly is involved in changing a duel fuel car to staight lpg? If it matters it is a 4ltr Eb2

Thanks in advance

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:47 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

umm stop running it on petrol would be the easyest way!

other wise it s**t i have no idea about LOL

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:02 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Fairmont + EF gli

QLD, Australia

I have An EA Fairmont Ghia that has only run on gas for the last 9 years i.
its done 440000 Km with no major problems ...the wife is driving the EA now ... so that might change :wink:

Photos Here :)
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jewie/index.htm

Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:53 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

The problem is it has starting and running problems in petrol at the moment, and with my lpg system (OMVL) it always starts in petrol then when the car hits a certian rev range it switches over to gas.
I have been told that for some reason on my car this rev range is higher than normal around 3000rpm, and that car does not like having to do this in petrol.
So what i really wanted to know is how do you always make it start in lpg? Is it a computer thing?
Also dont want to have to compromise the cars tuning by running both fuels as we cant seem to find a happy medium between petrol and gas.
Thanks
Steven

Post subject: Starting on LPG
Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EA S2 Wagon

VIC, Australia

newbie wrote:
The problem is it has starting and running problems in petrol at the moment, and with my lpg system (OMVL) it always starts in petrol then when the car hits a certian rev range it switches over to gas.
I have been told that for some reason on my car this rev range is higher than normal around 3000rpm, and that car does not like having to do this in petrol.
So what i really wanted to know is how do you always make it start in lpg? Is it a computer thing?
Also dont want to have to compromise the cars tuning by running both fuels as we cant seem to find a happy medium between petrol and gas.
Thanks
Steven
This post is probably a bit stale now but it may help you Steve
Your car would have a petrol start assist (PSA) component fitted.
Some gas equipment doesn’t allow the car start all that easily on gas alone, especially when cold.
The PSA could be by-passed to start the engine on gas and not use petrol at all, but I suspect you may end up with long cranking times with OMVL when the engine is cold.
I use Impco equipment, which I’d recommend for straight gas or starting an engine on gas alone.

Someone more familiar with OMVL may have clues about the best way to over ride it.

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:12 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

newbie wrote:
Thanks
Steven

ahh well it sounds liek you may havea petrol problem. . . if the car is having dramas on petrol
check out your fuel pump and filter also a common problem with dual fuel cars is that the injectors can gum up due to lack of uses, also the fuel can actually go off it is not used
maybe drain the tank add a new fuel filter and some injector cleaner and see how u go!

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

OK thanks rawlinna, thanks for that info, unfortually i cant afford to change my gas system if i could.... i wouldnt use gas at all :?

Discofrank, thats exactly what my mechanic said, however the car starts instantly on petrol mode and runs good, however it just when i have been running in lpg when the engine is turned off or just before i turn it off (tried switching to ptrol then turning engine off) it just sits there turning over for ages.

I noticed recently that the converter is actually frezzing up.... so i read a previous thread on fordmods about this, whilest i definatly have coolant in my car, the converter doesnt have any thing running through it.... makes me think when my coolant pipes went in toomooba they did fit the lpg system into it :evil:

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:46 am 
Fordmods Junkie

WA, Australia

ok if the car runs on gas it means there is coolant flowing into the convertor
you have said the car runs rough on petrol and gas??

also with the convertor freezing up take out the thermostat and see if that helps..... hard to explain but depending on the thermostat u have u may need to chop some of it off
some companies take the convertor coolant lines from the heater lines
with summer the thermo stat opens more blockign flow to the heater lines hence blockign flow to the convertor

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ok thanks Discofrank

I will have a look into the thermostat

Thanks alot
Steven

Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:15 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NCII Ghia

VIC, Australia

I have a OMVL system in my Fairlane. Newbie, do you have the gas petrol switch that is a little black box and has the LPG fuel guage built into it? If you do to start it on gas you simply switch it to the middle. Also if you want it to start on petrol and switch to gas at a lower RPM then there is a variable resistor on the back of that box that adjusts the RPM it switches at.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]