Fordmods Logo

DIY EF-EL GAS KIT 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: DIY EF-EL GAS KIT
Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:48 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: XHII ute

QLD, Australia

I have the following quote from a local gas supplier for what is in a straight gas underbonnet kit for an ef-el falcon supports 200rwKw.
I thought i would share this for anyone that is considering doing there own kit using assorted parts.

1 * LOCK GAS MED 131GS SERIES 21
2 * UNION 5/16 MFL X 1/8 MBSP
1 * ELBOW 5/16 MFL X 1/8 MBSP
4 * NUT FLARE 5/16
1 * NIPPLE HEX 1/8
1 * PLATE MOUNT FORD EF 80SE/S21
1 * BRC90-SX CONVERTOR 8 CYL
1 * FP30 GASTEC PROCESSOR
1 * HOSE VAPOUR CLOTH BRAID 18MM
1 * MIXER FORD AU EL
1 * SWITCH SAFETY CUT OUT APEXUS
1 * TEE BRASS 3/4 X 3/4 X 5/8 BARB
4.5* HOSE HEATER 5/8
14 * HOSE CLAMPS 14-27MM S/STEEL
1 * TEE 5/8 BARB X 3/8MNPT X 3/8 FN
1 * ELBOW 3/8 MFL X 3/8 MBSP
1 * NUT LOCK 1/4 BSP
1 * CAP RUBBER 10MM BREATHER PIPE
1 * RAM AIR FITTING PICK UP ONLY
1 * ELBOW BALANCE AIR 16mm BRC
1 * DIAGRAM WIRING FORD EL GASTECH
1 * STICKER KIT EFI
1 * FUSE HOLDER AND FUSE 5 AMP WAT

Info on the gastec computer can be found here: http://www.gastec.ws/productFP30.html

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB GLi 4.0L

SA, Australia

is that only to suit V8s or just that the converter is big enuf to support a V8? also, got some prices on the main bits (converter, mixer, computer). just after a rough guide...

cheers
Slabz

EBII 4.0L GLi | T5 | 3.27 Spool | POD | KKK K27 Turbo | 600x300x76 FMIC | 40mm Wastegate (dead) | RPD Stg1 Cam | B&M Launch Control | Thermos | 3" Dump | Twin 2.25" Zorst | 197kw@3500rpm, 7psi LEAN!

To Come: Hydraulic Handbrake | Coilover Springs | Fuel Pump | Microtech MT8 | 455cc Injectors

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:33 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

this is pretty much the standard ef-el kit except they said ill need a bigger converter, its supposed to flow more so 2 converters aren't required.
They said this converter is usually used on lexus v8's & landcruisers, 350 chevs & 351 clevelands.

the converter is about $258, mixer, $74 & computer $206.

Post subject: Re: DIY EF-EL GAS KIT
Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Trik'd up EFII XR6

WA, Australia

luke111 wrote:
I have the following quote from a local gas supplier for what is in a straight gas underbonnet kit for an ef-el falcon supports 200rwKw.
I thought i would share this for anyone that is considering doing there own kit using assorted parts.

1 * LOCK GAS MED 131GS SERIES 21
2 * UNION 5/16 MFL X 1/8 MBSP
1 * ELBOW 5/16 MFL X 1/8 MBSP
4 * NUT FLARE 5/16
1 * NIPPLE HEX 1/8
1 * PLATE MOUNT FORD EF 80SE/S21
1 * BRC90-SX CONVERTOR 8 CYL
1 * FP30 GASTEC PROCESSOR
1 * HOSE VAPOUR CLOTH BRAID 18MM
1 * MIXER FORD AU EL
1 * SWITCH SAFETY CUT OUT APEXUS
1 * TEE BRASS 3/4 X 3/4 X 5/8 BARB
4.5* HOSE HEATER 5/8
14 * HOSE CLAMPS 14-27MM S/STEEL
1 * TEE 5/8 BARB X 3/8MNPT X 3/8 FN
1 * ELBOW 3/8 MFL X 3/8 MBSP
1 * NUT LOCK 1/4 BSP
1 * CAP RUBBER 10MM BREATHER PIPE
1 * RAM AIR FITTING PICK UP ONLY
1 * ELBOW BALANCE AIR 16mm BRC
1 * DIAGRAM WIRING FORD EL GASTECH
1 * STICKER KIT EFI
1 * FUSE HOLDER AND FUSE 5 AMP WAT

Info on the gastec computer can be found here: http://www.gastec.ws/productFP30.html

how much were u lookin at having to pay for the components listed?

For Sale: 25 Farad Rockford Fosgate Competition Series Carbon Cap, more to come - pm me if interested

Posted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:34 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

$850 for everything. It would have been a little bit cheaper if I just wanted the normal 6 cylinder converter.
This was from Pro Gas in Woolloongabba. Really helpful guys there.

I havent purchased my kit from them yet I am still considering my options.

The main point of my inital post was to show pretty much all the fiddly s**t you need other than the main things eg. converter, mixer, computer.

Luke.

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

"Please note that it is illegal in all Australian states and NZ to fit a LPG system yourself, it has to be fitted by a licenced LPG mechanic and in a licenced LPG workshop." NZ and Australia use the same standards for fitting LPG systems

LPG is safe when fitted correctly but if fitted incorrectly it can be a danger to anyone in a very large area.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

Damage wrote:
"Please note that it is illegal in all Australian states and NZ to fit a LPG system yourself, it has to be fitted by a licenced LPG mechanic and in a licenced LPG workshop." NZ and Australia use the same standards for fitting LPG systems

LPG is safe when fitted correctly but if fitted incorrectly it can be a danger to anyone in a very large area.

i dont think thats really true - i did all my own work -fit & mount tank - got it tested & restamped for $75 /wiring /fitting convertor/mounting filler/installing mixer and plumbing

i got licenced gas fitter to install new service lines and complience test and plate $200 all up the complete setup with new omvl convertor was under $600 fitted

but saying all that why the fuk would you bother now with the govs $2000
rebate let them pay and get someone else to do the work 2 grand should cover it easy

Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

yeh I installed LPG into my car..
IE: Tank, mixer, convertor, lockoff's, guages, even added an earth lead (rare)

I'd then took the car to a licenced fitter to install a flex service line and filler line.

He gave me an AAFRB compliance plate and some paperwork to give to vic roads.

all in all as above, it cost me less than $200 for the legal issues and 400 for components.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:11 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

the main issue with diy seems to be the fuel lines themselves. all the other crap, tank, converter, wiring,etc is all straight forward with a few rules on mouting the tank. the gas guys usually want to do the fuel lines.

vote for pedro ? f**k pedro, f**k him up his stupid a***hole.

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

also you need to have the converter and lockoff's B4 the cyl no.1

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

Krytox wrote:
also you need to have the converter and lockoff's B4 the cyl no.1

thats a load of crap if you mean in front of #1 as that would offer no protection in a smash and would potentially be very dangerous

just about all convertors are mounted on the shocker hump and in my case i have it on the drivers side with a heat shield fitted to limit temperature from the extractors

Posted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

VIC, Australia

yes i mean behind cyl#1 as in towards the back of the car.
using the block as a means of protection.

Posted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

tiny56 wrote:
Damage wrote:

i dont think thats really true - i did all my own work -fit & mount tank - got it tested & restamped for $75 /wiring /fitting convertor/mounting filler/installing mixer and plumbing

i got licenced gas fitter to install new service lines and complience test and plate $200 all up the complete setup with new omvl convertor was under $600 fitted

but saying all that why the fuk would you bother now with the govs $2000
rebate let them pay and get someone else to do the work 2 grand should cover it easy

I know this happens all the time, but this is straight from the LPG standards 1425, I even done this before I had a licence.

6.5 INSPECTION
Prior to testing and commissioning an initial inspection of the LP Gas system and
components shall be carried out by, or under the supervision of, an authorized person, who
shall also carry out a complete examination to ensure that the installation complies with all
relevant Sections of this Standard.

Some reasons for this would be so things that are hard to see after fitting isnt missed, little things like vent hose size, filler hose etc.

Anyway your last point was the best one, why would you bother when the government is giving out a $2000 grant, even better if you live in WA.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

I have nearly finished putting the lpg on my EF, I should have it running this weekend hopefully.
What a contract, I've spent nearly 5 full days installing it, Ive gone way over budget it costs more than I first thought it it took longer to install than I first thought. Always the way I guess
Ive used a few different parts instead of just buying a kit.(wouldve been cheaper but not much) I used an Impco E converter and a LG Motorgas 225 mixer & a Gore Research IMP6 closed-loop computer.(This is similar to the Tickford Factory Gas on the EB/ED 4.0L falcons).
Ive done everything myself including all the brackets, hoses, fittings, etc except the tank bracket & filler neck I bought them out of the tradingpost.
I took out the old fuel tank, fuel lines, charcoal canister, injectors, fuel rail etc and put welsh plugs in the manifold where the injectors used to sit. I re-routed the injector & sensor wires that usually run over the manifold so now they are underneath, it looks a bit neater and I also changed the intake duct to the EL falcon type.
The air filter pod is only mounted to the mixer temporarily, I am going to put the pod down behind the front bumper for cooler intake temps.
I still have to refit the windscreen washer bottle since I put the converter where it usually lives. It was a real ***** trying to get that converter fitted where the washer bottle used to live too.
Next year Im going to put a turbo on it thats why I went with the IMPCO gear Ive been told it works better for blow through compared to the complex converter/simple mixer setup.
I also fitted a steel PCV valve, NGK BP6EY (gapped at .8mm) plugs & new ignition leads & a new 2-176ohm fuel sender unit in the tank.
I ended up just running a 5M long flexible 3/8" LPG hose, I got pirtek to make it up for me, it runs from front to back I used P clips every 30cm to hold it up in place. The hose cost me $153 which wasnt bad I thought.

I still haven't got it running yet I have the tank out getting retested and new service valve & pressure relief valve fitted hopefully should get it back in the next couple of days so I can fire it up and take it for a spin.

Im a qualified mechanic, this is my first lpg installation I still have to get it certified by someone yet, I just hope I have done most of it right. Im sure I'll have to change/modify something, no doubt.

I would be interested to hear what you other guys think about it. Im pretty happy with the way it turned out.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]