Fordmods Logo

I6 coil pack location 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: I6 coil pack location
Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I think my coil pack is about to s**t it's self for the second time. This has happened to a couple of mates of mine too. Coils don't like heat & vibration so why did ford put them in such a bad spot on the I6. They get all the heat & vibration from the motor, & are too far away from the plugs, loosing valuable voltage!

I was wondering if anyone has moved thier coil pack to a better spot & if so, can they tell me whats involved. Or has anyone got any ideas of multiple coil setups that go strait on to the plugs, Like from newer cars?

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

I think you must be having a bit of bad luck as my AU has clocked 630,000ks on the original coil.Can not understand what the problem is.

AU series1 Futura Duel Fuel,ceramic coated Pacemaker Headers,Hi-Flow cat.2.5in. exhaust,T-series snorkel,K&N panel filter,D.B.A.Slotted Rotors

Post subject: Re: I6 coil pack location
Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: ALTED XR6 - ALTED EA - EF TAXI

QLD, Australia

e-falcon wrote:
I think my coil pack is about to s**t it's self for the second time. This has happened to a couple of mates of mine too. Coils don't like heat & vibration so why did ford put them in such a bad spot on the I6. They get all the heat & vibration from the motor, & are too far away from the plugs, loosing valuable voltage!

I was wondering if anyone has moved thier coil pack to a better spot & if so, can they tell me whats involved. Or has anyone got any ideas of multiple coil setups that go strait on to the plugs, Like from newer cars?

i got a spare coil pack here if your interested, can fit too if needed..

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

If its the coil that mounts horizontaly on the block, all i did was make a diiferent bracket the has it mounted vertically (hanging) taking the stress off the mounting holes on the coil. have no probs now. the holden vt's use the same Bosch coil.

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:55 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

joolz wrote:
If its the coil that mounts horizontaly on the block, all i did was make a diiferent bracket the has it mounted vertically (hanging) taking the stress off the mounting holes on the coil. have no probs now. the holden vt's use the same Bosch coil.

these coils die if you get them wet, its not the vibration its water

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

yeah of course the water kills them, its the same with all HV components. but water alone doesnt make them crack. its a mixture of stress, fatigue, heat and vibration. They mount horizontaly and ive had no problems with cracks since its been mounted vertical (hanging)

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:46 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB 5Spd

QLD, Australia

i have remounted my old coil in my old ea, moved it to the pasenger side just behind the headlight, but where no water could get it to. it was the same distance away as it was in its orig configuration, the only reason why i moved it cause it was a b**ch to get to :)

cheers

chrisc

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

DrE wrote:
i have remounted my old coil in my old ea, moved it to the pasenger side just behind the headlight, but where no water could get it to. it was the same distance away as it was in its orig configuration, the only reason why i moved it cause it was a b**ch to get to :)

cheers

chrisc

Did you cut into your original wiring loom, or did you extend it using another set of the original plugs? If so, can you tell me where to get the plugs & what size wires to use. I want to mount mine up near the drivers side tower, so there will be no vibration & the leads can be really short. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]