Fordmods Logo

04 Territory TX - It's a good old girl 

Page 9 of 15 [ 215 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

Post subject: Re: 04 Territory TX - takes the kids to the snow
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

you're lucky lpg is still so cheap there! over here i think it actually costs more to run lpg.
nice territory btw

Post subject: Re: 04 Territory TX - takes the kids to the snow
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:31 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: V8 LTD DC

VIC, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I ran mine on petrol for about 2-3 weeks and have been on LPG ever since. It costs about a third to what petrol costs.

Your right though, around town it was shocking on fuel. But LPG cost me about $30-$35 for close to 400km's. Only problem is mine is a 7 seater and I have no where to put the spare wheel.

Good fuel economy on gas. Do you have LPG injection there (as it is 2004 year model it should be)?
In my case I don’t really care about petrol as it is company car with fuel card.
You can remove seats in the boot, but there is not too much room left anyway.

BA XT Wagon 2004 -daily driver
LTD DCII V8 1993
NC-1 1991
NA-II Sportsman 1990- budget project going very slow: full respray is in progress, XR6 engine, rebuild auto, lowered, 3.45 LSD, extractors, LTD leather electric seats, thermofans, NF door trims, NF door handles, complete NCII wiring.

Post subject: Re: 04 Territory TX - does a family Melbourne trip
Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ash, I am so glad that you had a safe and eventful journey to Victoria but it is good to see you back.
The exhaust noise, coming from the Front pipe? did you know that Ford Sells that pipe separately so you don't have to buy the whole cat? about $140.00. :)

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
I'm yet to stick my head under there for a good look. You know I don't hear very well so I didn't bother trying to guess. But I did lift the bonnet to check but its not from that end. I do think it is the mid muffler but am not 100%.
How does the front pipe join? Do you have an exploded view I could have a look at?

My plan at the moment is to possibly make up my own. I just picked up a 99 AU XR6 sedan with a new 2.5 inch system. So I may be able to cut and shut that into the Territory. I thought I may as well use what I have if I can.

The pipe is the front part and has to be welded on, don't have a pic sorry :(

Ash, what month in 1999 is your XR? Hopefully before 06/1999 as I need a new BCM. :)

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It is Olive Drab colour and is $620.00 retail :shock: :shock: :shock:

I will have to keep looking, would love to have the Chip key system. :(

Posted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ashcook wrote:
Driving the Territory today and the exhaust broke off in front of the cat. Had to drive another 80km's like that before I was able to park it up. I guess we now know the source of the exhaust leak :roll:
And P.S. George, sorry no luck on an Olive BEM. :cry:

That's ok Ash, I will keep looking. I have also decided to take Lucifa to an Auto Elect and let them tackle it, the left mirror no longer works either, bloody cars :evil:

The front part of the pipe is the part Ford decided to sell separately as there was trouble like you are having with them. The pipe is available part number 8R7Z 5E228 AA $128.00 retail, I know we have them at work, you just need a welder and patience :mrgreen:

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

That is the problem Im tipping Ash.
I know the Mav gets extractor leaks pretty much everytime it does a submarine impersination.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nah my flanges on the extractors warp and the bolts come loose.
Thats the weak point in my system. Obviously around the cat is yours. If it has cracked already there would be a lot of metal fatigue in the area so would not take much for it to go again.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

Great to hear you love the Terry so much as do I. I have absolutely no inclination to finish the project car as It will never be anything like the Terry. I am looking for another one for a second car or possibly a BA wagon. I had a Parnel Gas injection system fitted 12 months ago now and we typically get about 350-400km a tank (63L). I have not tried a long trip without a trailer as we are usually towing the dogs. This seems to use more fuel esp as I keep the speed up to the 110 limit on the freeways. incidentally we have a persistent leaky exhaust noise which has not been picked up by the Ford service guys and it is out of Warranty in a few months. There was some repairs done to the rear suspension rubbers at the last service under warranty? Nothing I was aware of before they picked up some issue there?

Oh yes and for reference the FG Factory gas ute i drive for work uses a great deal more gas. I typically get the same 350-400 km from the 84L tank. It has a big cargo box on the back which is a wind drag.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

We are off for a trip to Gorong Gorong next weekend. The Terry has just over 76000Km on the clock. We have not done much off road work at all and It was a Ford company car before we got it 2 years ago.
I will have a good look underneath soon. The only drawback I can find is the load space is much smaller than the wagon which is cavernous. The Terry is at least 20cm shorter overall. My wife actually chose the car and got a 5 seater. A choice I have cursed ever since and have been on the hunt for a factory 3rd row seat. We have 3 kids but this means no spare seats for kids friends etc. I have a tyre fix it kit in the glovebox and a small compressor in the back. I have not had a flat for 2 years in this car and have removed and repaired one screw not long after we got it. I was thinking of putting the off-road self-sealing goop in the tyres when we get a new set very soon. The original tyres are up to 76k and due for replacements. Long highway trips are very kind on tyres compared to the daily city grind and I manage to stretch their life without being unsafe.
I have the original full size spare mounted onto the dog trailer drawbar so we will not be stuck on a trip. I was thinking of making some sort of swing up bracket for the towbar. I really wanted to get 2 scuba style tanks each side but my calculations for the space available was only about 50L which is too small and annoying to live with. i know there has to be a better way to fit gas tanks to the Terry. We have the APA manifold tanks which is a tidy set up but still only 63L usable.

I also curse myself for not getting a sump guard from Bayford when they were clearing them out for $50

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Is everything working on the dash? there must be something matching for that to plug in to?

I have to make a decision now what i am going to do. I have two weeks off as of next week.
I was going to try and finish the majority of fitting up the EF Wagon with 'mont parts. So far the engine and trans are in, brake lines and ABS is in. The front suspension is all back together and I am part way through the electric windows and wiring looms. Part of the interior is done. The next big one is the diff, 1 ton springs and tailshaft. That means running gear sorted. A good week's work and It should be running and ready for a roadworthy.

The Classic is dying, the head is cracked and it is backfiring and using coolant at a massive rate. the headlining all fell off two weeks ago. I only use it for the kids run to school etc and I need at least 2 litres of water a week. It is not worth spending any $$ on what is arguably a worn out car.

My dilemma Is thus..... it will still need, shocks, tyres, aircon gas up and I needs LPG fitted. Is it worth spending another $1000 to get this thing on the road or not? I mean the engine is currently sound but I expect a head gasket to go a few weeks after getting it on the road knowing my luck. I was hoping to get a wagon from work instead of the ute. If I got a work wagon then I would have no hesitation in a fire sale for both the the wagons and all spares. My garage is an Aladin's cave full of crap everywhere and it is driving me and the Mrs nuts as the terry should have a parking space indoors.

OR I can get a BA wagon for about $6k at auction.

Or if we redraw from the homeloan I get a second Terry for under $15k. We are planning on selling up and moving to property in the country in the next 12 months. It is very likely we will live on a dirt road. It makes sense to get another AWD.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

That's my thinking exactly. When I started the project, I spent about $2500. I have spent hundreds of hours working on it ( scratching head mostly) and then we bought the Territory Ghia. I also spent hundreds on tools to do the work. I lost all motivation as I was trying to keep the budget really low and then we spent $50k on an 8 month old car. 4 years ago, an E series mont was worth 5 grand still, worth the effort to repair. Now they are worth squat and a B series is becoming cheap for a shopping trolley.

This will be our second car so it doesn't need to be flash but reliable and comfortable is a key requirement. I am also big on safety for the family which is why I went for the Terry AWD in the first place. I also like that it was designed and built in Victoria. I know a few guys who work at the Ford plants. I like driving past the factory and telling my son that "our car's were built in that factory."

I do want something that will give me similar service to the EF. It was 4 years old when we got it and we have done about 240000km with only a head gasket and a cracked head as major problems. It's time for retirement.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

2 pin connector with what looks like serious tight fitting and weather-sealing. Its not a light or something? We have the 6 speed so i think it's different underneath.

The spare wheel is pretty big so trying to lift it is hard for a small woman. My wife is at least as strong as me so she could do it if she wanted too. having a lift up tailgate restricts the spare wheel location somewhat. Esp if you don't want a 4WD style swinging bracket like on a landcrusher or similar.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I wonder about the rear suspension rubbers that were replaced? The car had only been on gas for a few months at the time. You can get raised springs for pretty cheap. I have seen a set on Ebay for about 300 four corners. Hows thoses shocks though! They are pretty big. I am sure I have seen that plug under the EF of all things.

The six speed is pretty impressive. So smooth you hardly feel the gears change at all!

That car is perfect for my needs..... a clean garage may be on the horizon! just bite the bullet and spend $12500. I have a few grand of goodies to move of course.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon

Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:02 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Shockwave BA XR6

Power: 152 rwkw

VIC, Australia

that is the speedo loom but it doesnt connect anywhere as your speedo is picked up from elsewhere in the abs system ,only ba utes that dont have abs and use a speedo gear on the output shaft use that plug as it connects to the speedo transducer

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 15  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next