Fordmods Logo

302 Top End Rebuild - yep, another one! 

Page 31 of 38 [ 562 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next

Posted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Oops, I haven't been back here in a while...

Sorry Steve, I didn't see any improvement in figures really due to the fact it's running so rich. I can say that it goes a hell of a lot better though. I won't be putting it back on the dyno until the next round of tuning though. Hopefully after then will I see some real improvement. It feels as though it keeps on getting better though, which seems odd, but it could be because now when I'm driving around normally I take it pretty easy and when I open it up I really notice it.

I've been having a bit more of a problem with traction too. I got new tyres on the other day and when having a bit of a play with one of the guys from work in his XR6t, 1st and 2nd didn't want to know about it but when I hit 3rd I pulled away hard. Previously it felt like it wanted to break traction but always just held on as Jeff's witnessed once or twice. These are the same tyres I've been running for over a year now, which I've been extremely happy with. Maybe it's the cooler weather?

Also, hopefully I should have my order here by the end of the week for my 1.7:1 rockers and upgraded springs and studs. This should hopefully extract a bit more and contribute to keeping me happy for a little while. With any luck, next week the cam timing will be checked and the new gear installed and not too long after that a new tune.

That will then be the end of the line for some time to come. I hope :P

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I'm looking around for a wideband lambda set-up and have found a bit of info on the Innovative Motorsports products. They look to be really good. Is anyone using any of their stuff for wideband lambda or data logging?

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: 1999 XHII XR8, 2002 AU Fairmont

Power: 236 rwkw

WA, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
I'm looking around for a wideband lambda set-up and have found a bit of info on the Innovative Motorsports products. They look to be really good. Is anyone using any of their stuff for wideband lambda or data logging?

As you know im just using the AEM one and my mate has also just purchased the AEM. Very happy with the product and it also has the feature of data logging etc. Might be worth a look.

Jeff

STREETBUILT RACING
1999 XHII Falcon XR8 Ute 5.0L, TKO600 5spd, KB 2.1L Blower, 6.5psi, 12.2@113mph!!

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have an innovate LC1 on the EMS. good product, looking at getting a 2nd so that i can live tune and get the closed loop function working
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

I couldn't remember the brand of yours Jeff. Cheers, will look it up.

I've been looking at the LM1 Brett. Their website has a lot of info on it and there looks to be a hell of a lot of development and back-up with them too.

Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Another bit of an update.

I'm away for work for 4 weeks and left the car in the workshop whilst I'm away. They'll be fitting the 1.7:1 Trick Flow roller rockers as well as the upgraded Trick Flow valve springs and 7/16 studs. They'll be checking the valve timing whilst it's all apart as well.

One other thing I'll be getting done is the tailshaft. They'll be pulling it out and running it down to VEEM where a 3.5" tailshaft will be made up and thrown back in. No need to worry about exploding shafts over 180km/h!

I hope to get the suspension tricked up a bit at some stage, ready to hit the track when the weather begins to clear up.

I'm still waiting to be able to get a spot for the tune. That may have to wait a bit longer still...

Finally, I have an Innovate Motorsports LC-1 wideband lambda and data-logger on order. As well as AFRs I'll be able to data-log rpm, tps, egt and a number of other properties.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Good stuff Chad.

Just out of curiosity, whats wrong with the rockers you have in it now? Different ratio?

It'll be good to see it down the track again, I think im already crawling up the wall waiting to get back at the plex. :P

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: '03 BA-LTD.

VIC, Australia

scaffy
how did ya go with the "speedo" correction now your got the 3.7's in the diff? all sorted?

steve.

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yeah schnoods, it's currently got 1.6s in there at the moment. I'm looking forward to the 'plex again but also want to get it on Barbagallos and AHG when I can.

Steve, I ended up getting a joint over here to do the speedo correction electronically.

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Spoke to the mechanic yesterday and all the gear is in. He checked the cam timing as well and it was spot on. I'm glad that it was and now needn't worry about it any longer. He reckons the surging idle isn't as bad now, but still running very rich.

The Veem 3.5" tailshaft should be in today as well. Now I won't have to worry about that puppy blowing up on me.

For the Perth guys, the mechanic whose done the work used to own the green VP that was always down the drags with half an engine popping out the bonnet. He's just taken over Prestige Automotives in the Welshpool trade centre.

Posted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon XR8

VIC, Australia

what an awesome build thread...just read the whole thing form start to finish...now Im back where I started...My original plan was to get this kit, but then I got hold of an AU top end real cheap and that should actually get here tomorow. Now im thinking I get red of the AU gear and go with my original plan....but well done on the results and awesome car!!!

ELXR8 series 1.
White
full tickford bodykit
full exahust
dvd/whitedial cluster
Rebuilt auto
Shift kit

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef xr8

Power: 229 rwkw

WA, Australia

Good stuff.

So they were pretty good eh?

Because of Beer, Thirst is a Beautiful Thing!

'95 EF XR8 auto, Advance headers, 3" exhaust, Cobra manifold, BBK 75mm throttle body , 80MM Marauder MAF, Vortech V2 T Trim , 307 rwhp, 405 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105 MPH

Now N/A (permanent Lag) - AFR 165's, Comp XE270 cam, 1.6 RR - 269 rwhp 14.1 @ 102mph.

Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

It's been a while...

I haven't been doing much with the big girl of late. The tune is super crapola which I'm slowly working on getting my head around. I've installed the wideband lambda kit and data logger that I got from innovate motorsports. I'm only datalogging afr, throttle position and rpm at the moment cos that's all I had the patience to hook up.

At wot, the afrs are going as low as 9.1:1 and at idle they are extremely lean, seeing over 22:1. When cruising along normally it's sitting at around 15:1. When I gradually accelerate it leans out to around 17:1 and when I gradually decelerate it fattens up to around 12.5:1. It's going to take a bit of time to get this mess sorted out.

On a brighter note, I picked up a new car for the missus a couple of Fridays ago. '08 Mondeo XR5 in ink blue. I bought it off a bird who won it in a raffle for considerably less than brand new with only 180km on it. The missus is stoked and so am I. It's not going to be breaking any speed records, but is a fantastic car to drive. All the bells and whistles. Who knows, it may have to have its own build thread one of these days.

Sorry Jase and Nicko... I only saw your posts tonight.

Yeah, the guys at Prestige are really good and thorough. They're the kind of guys who won't let anything out of their shop until they know everything is spot-on. They take pride in the work they do and run through everything they've done with you.

Thanks NickosELXR, I'm happy with this combo. Once I've finally got the tune sorted, then I'll be very happy and it'll stay as it is for a while... I hope!

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:49 am 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

Very interesting reading scaffy, its pretty bad about the egr plugs being missed. Could you put up pics of them.

Im thinking of putting the same kit in my EB. Overall do you think the kit is worth it??

How is the car now with the 1.7 rockers. Have you had it retuned??

Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Nah mate, I haven't retuned it yet. It is running like a pig at the moment. I'm away for work at the moment for the next 3 and a half weeks so I'm reading and learning as much as I can so I can work on the tune myself, with the assistance of a few others who have a pretty good understanding of it all themselves.

I sourced the plugs off BOTTLEDUP who works at A1 Hi Performance here in Perth. I don't have any pics as they are at the back of the heads, but I'm pretty sure he has them in stock and I can't imagine they'd be too costly to post.

I do think the kit is worth it, but you need to get everything else to go with the kit. That is TB, injectors, MAF and whatever else you come across. As I'm sure I've said before, once the tune is where I want it then I'll be very happy.

Sort by  
 Page 31 of 38  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 38  Next