Page 2 of 5 [ 71 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: 88 ea fairmont touch up
Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA toner, ea fairmont, eb xr8s

SA, Australia

Attachment:
20140111_150259.jpg

Got the engine out after a few hours stuffing around, now the fun begins of cleaning the old gear up, stripping most of it off and getting it all ready to go back together with cam, serpentine conversion, thermos and a heap of small bew partd to freshen it all up and have a little more poke and economy....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

So you already have the tickford engine (well, head..) or have you just painted the rocker cover red?

Is the car an XR6? Or tickford?

What's the 4 character code on the top of your current ECU?

Looking good. Progress :D

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

This head is off an eb xr6, my mate had it up in the barn and said I could grab it for free, apparently there werent many of these coded heads made, when I sent it to get reconditioned the guy said its the first time hes seen one of them.in about 5 years.... whether they are built pretty good or just not very common im not sure either way... havent pulled the computer out yet, thatll be one of the last jobs to do......

So this arvo I got the trans cleaned up, taken off and advertised to sell and started to clean the motor up ready to strip but haven't got any further because I was gonna put it on the engine stand and the bolts from the xt motor I had on there are to small.... and got burnt to a crisp so it now becomes tomorrows job when i move some stuff out of the carport....

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:58 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

This head is off an eb xr6, my mate had it up in the barn and said I could grab it for free, apparently there werent many of these coded heads made, when I sent it to get reconditioned the guy said its the first time hes seen one of them.in about 5 years.... whether they are built pretty good or just not very common im not sure either way... havent pulled the computer out yet, thatll be one of the last jobs to do......

So this arvo I got the trans cleaned up, taken off and advertised to sell and started to clean the motor up ready to strip but haven't got any further because I was gonna put it on the engine stand and the bolts from the xt motor I had on there are to small.... and got burnt to a crisp so it now becomes tomorrows job when i move some stuff out of the carport....

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

So it currently has (had) the 3 speed auto on it. Do you have a 4 speed lined up yet?

What's the code on it? Dose it have the T cast in the front too?

Also in the garage....

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:48 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

It had the three speed and im going to the four speed el trans, the head has the T on the front but cant find the code, it has a 5 digit number on the rear of the head plus a couple of random numbers as well, are the tickford codes under the intake manifold? I know the usual ones have 3.9 91aa and a 94ab? code on the front...

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Yeah the codes on the front are what I was wondering about.

Dose it have 3.9 on it and what's the "91ab" code on yours?

If its got 3.9 and the T cast thats probably why it was mentioned as uncommon.. Because most Tickford cars were all the 4.0 around the EB times, and don't have that cast on the head. (By this stage the 3.9 was not being used)

So if its a 3.9l Tickford head that interesting..

Maybe a more knowledgable Tickford fan can enlighten us.. Either way I'm off to do some research.

Also in the garage....

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
Yeah the codes on the front are what I was wondering about.

Dose it have 3.9 on it and what's the "91ab" code on yours?

If its got 3.9 and the T cast thats probably why it was mentioned as uncommon.. Because most Tickford cars were all the 4.0 around the EB times, and don't have that cast on the head. (By this stage the 3.9 was not being used)

So if its a 3.9l Tickford head that interesting..

Maybe a more knowledgable Tickford fan can enlighten us.. Either way I'm off to do some research.

I have the 3.9 head in the shed, they are a series 1 ea head that only last about 100, 000kms the eb ed had the 91aa and ef el had the 94ab.... from memory dont quote me..... the head I have has no numbers or markings on the front other than the T.... so now im off to do some research to find this other info out also.... cheers anyway lowlane

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

ford-4l-and-6-cylinder-f1/is-it-a-tickford-t94206.html

So went through the fordmods site and found the info in this link... the ef el au has a T and a code, the eb ed only has a T and does not have a code.... which means that eb xr head would be right... will be getting heaps of parts this week and hopefully getting the engine bay cleaned and ready to go.... whats the best way to clean burnt on oil grime out of an engine bay? I have bucket loads of degreaser and a pressure cleaner.... any other ideas?

Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Lol I was sposed to search for this but got distracted for the past hour searching for info on a BB gun....

Anyway...

I've heard the 100k fail part HEAPS, and mostly it was the gasket blowing out but the earlier heads were more prone to warping..

So a 91xx would be EB so it would probably be safe to say they are all heads off 4.0ls.

And I'm not sure why, but I've seen mentioned that 94xx is "the best", why? I don't know I would have thought they are all the same.
However I had a 94ab head and it has a drilled and tapped provision near number 6 plug with a brass pipe sticking out almost like an extra water jacket or somthing..

As for cleaning engine bay. One trick I used many moons ago on a white car was oven cleaner in a spray can.. I thought it was odd too but being white it came up like new!

Deep soaking with degreaser. Should get most. I always end up with some sort of marks left though..

Also in the garage....

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:
Lol I was sposed to search for this but got distracted for the pascomeur searching for info on a BB gun....

Anyway...

I've heard the 100k fail part HEAPS, and mostly it was the gasket blowing out but the earlier heads were more prone to warping..

So a 91xx would be EB so it would probably be safe to say they are all heads off 4.0ls.

And I'm not sure why, but I've seen mentioned that 94xx is "the best", why? I don't know I would have thought they are all the same.
However I had a 94ab head and it has a drilled and tapped provision near number 6 plug with a brass pipe sticking out almost like an extra water jacket or somthing..

As for cleaning engine bay. One trick I used many moons ago on a white car was oven cleaner in a spray can.. I thought it was odd too but being white it came up like new!

Deep soaking with degreaser. Should get most. I always end up with some sort of marks left though..

So after having an ask on facebook about cleaning the engne bay a couple of people come up with the oven cleaner in a can so sent the missus to get them... will suss the results in a couple days when its not so hot....

I have the brass pipe sticking out and it is actually what they all should have on them because a performance guy I was talking to said due to the design of the head a bubble of air can get caught in the back there and heat the head to a point where it will crack so this moves the bubble of air and you no longer have the problem....

Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

tuffba6 wrote:
I have the brass pipe sticking out and it is actually what they all should have on them because a performance guy I was talking to said due to the design of the head a bubble of air can get caught in the back there and heat the head to a point where it will crack so this moves the bubble of air and you no longer have the problem....

Yeah that would be it. I'm surprised they didn't do it earlier. Maybe they didnt start going off majorly untill 3-4 years later around EF times..

Interesting to hear others have the oven cleaner idea too..

Also in the garage....

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:20 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Spent a few hours here and there in this ridiculous heat, got it stripped to a long motor and a heap of parts soaking in degreaser, went and sussed what happening with the serpentine conversion parts and, theyll be here next week.... also got offered to have my head match ported for $150 so will get that done while its off... smart cheater is onits way thanks to lowlane7 which means motor could be back together in a week to two weeks time and start wiring being hidden and engine bay prepped for fresh paint.... got a mate with his ef 4l in the burnout comp tonight so will post a couple photos if I get them

Attachment:
20140115_142216.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:04 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

All parts are ready at the wreckers so will pick them up tomorrow or wednesday, the old motor has been stripped down, cleaned and put back together to a long motor (original engine out of the car with all 3.9l gear and three belt setup and accesories) will fit all accessories back on as theyre finished being cleaned and painted... the head, intake and exhaust will be taken in tomorrow to get its port matching done amd a couple threads tidied up that are a bit under the weather after being on a couple of different bottom ends. Next job is get the block prepped with fresh paint, gaskets, water pump, ac compressor..... getting f@$&ing keen to have this together and get the engine bay sorted and back on the road and im not even half way yet..... :D

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 5  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next