Fordmods Logo

88 ea fairmont touch up 

Page 1 of 5 [ 71 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: 88 ea fairmont touch up
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:04 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: BA toner, ea fairmont, eb xr8s

SA, Australia

This is my current project which im about to strip the driveline out of and freshen it all up.. (photo isnt loading,will do so at a later date)

Replacing the lsd as it shagged a centre bearing towing the car trailer, got a 4 speed btr and el hybrid computer to run it rather than just going to an eb/ed computer. I will be running an au block, eb xr head, full gasket set top to bottom, lifters, cam, timing chain, serpentine conversion and thermos.

While the motors out will be painting the engine bay and a wiring hide and also doing the body as I slid off the road and swiped a tree so the rear quarter needs a new one, plus a few scratches on the drivers side from my chair. Not sure if im gonna go as far as shaving door handles and putting poppers in this time but will see

Post subject: Re: 88 ea fairmont touch up
Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:38 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF 2 Fairmont. AU 5 Litre ute

VIC, Australia

Looking forward to seeing the pictures and progress

Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

The state it was in before the incident with the tree
Attachment:
Screenshot_2013-03-28-14-41-39-1-1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Attachment:
20140102_185654-1.jpg

Spent some of the arvo removing the engine and trans, almost done, just got the trans mount, tailshaft and engine mount then engine will be put on the engine stand ready for a clean and strip down... the frame im in is because im actually in a wheel chair, I built the frame myself to do what I wanted to cars and not let the chair stop me...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:26 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

tuffba6 wrote:
Attachment:
20140102_185654-1.jpg

Spent some of the arvo removing the engine and trans, almost done, just got the trans mount, tailshaft and engine mount then engine will be put on the engine stand ready for a clean and strip down... the frame im in is because im actually in a wheel chair, I built the frame myself to do what I wanted to cars and not let the chair stop me...

Good on you mate. Glad to see that you have been able to overcome some of the restrictions that a wheel chair puts on you.

Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:05 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

+1 yeah good on ya mate - one little thing tho ... are ya gunna change the diff ratio??

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:10 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Cheers guys, yeah, have thought about a change if diff gears but bought a 2.77 lsd disk to disk before I planned on changing basically everything in the car driveline wise.... will stick with the 2.77 for now as I already have it and get some 3.45 or 3.23 later on... its only a couple hours to change a diff so arent to worried about putting it in and changing my mind down the track

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:54 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

yeah my EA will end up with eitha a 3.23 lsd or a 3.27 lsd [currently the 3.27 isnt a lsd] as i want some speed of the line lol :wink: :roll: - think the wagoon will use the 2.92 lsd :?: or change it to a 3.23 :lol:

keep up the good work :D

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Neat car dude. Looks very tidy..

Are you doing the EF/EL intake manifold too?

If you haven't already got hold of one, do you need a smart lock bypass module? I have a spare.

Dose yours have a flat key or the round type with a plastic head?
Being an 88 I'm guessing flat key, which means its pre smart lock, so wiring the module to the ecu to bypass it is pretty simple.

I've got a few mates from Murray bridge. How long have you been there?

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Lowlane7 wrote:

If you haven't already got hold of one, do you need a smart lock bypass module? I have a spare.

Being an 88 I'm guessing flat key, which means its pre smart lock, so wiring the module to the ecu to bypass it is pretty simple.

Cheers mate and leaving the manifold standard, like the look of it better than the bbm... and have a flat key and havent got the smartlock bypass yet, have had a look at one on shiftkit.com as well as the adjustable shift kit as a possibility also, how much you want for it? Ive been here three and a half years now, who you know down this way?

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:49 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Mad2 wrote:
yeah my EA will end up with eitha a 3.23 lsd or a 3.27 lsd [currently the 3.27 isnt a lsd] as i want some speed of the line lol :wink: :roll: - think the wagoon will use the 2.92 lsd :?: or change it to a 3.23 :lol:

Cheers mate, had the thought of a 2.92 but aint much of a difference to the 2.77 so minimum of 3.23 or 3.45 if I can find one later

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

tuffba6 wrote:
Mad2 wrote:

Cheers mate, had the thought of a 2.92 but aint much of a difference to the 2.77 so minimum of 3.23 or 3.45 if I can find one later

trust me .... there's a LOT of differance between the two!

3.23 are easy ta find ...... at least thats how it appears :lol:

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

tuffba6 wrote:
Lowlane7 wrote:

Cheers mate and leaving the manifold standard, like the look of it better than the bbm... and have a flat key and havent got the smartlock bypass yet, have had a look at one on shiftkit.com as well as the adjustable shift kit as a possibility also, how much you want for it? Ive been here three and a half years now, who you know down this way?

I'm pretty sure that the EL ECU won't like running without a BBM because of the different tunes. I've heard it will run but not happily. So you may need a different ECU..

I have one out of a NA fairlane that had a 4 speed and was pre Smartlock. I'll get the code today and let you know. It may be just what you need...

If your into doing things yourself there's a tech doco about making a shift kit somewhere on here. Might be something you can get to do.

I'll PM you about the rest.

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Im gonna have a go with the el ecu, if it doesnt work my mates at the wreckers are happy to swap it straight over... will also have a go at the shift kit d.i.y as I love doing that sort of thing...

Went to the wreckers and got all my parts on the go for a serpentine conversion, will have a 100k el block, el alternator and power steering pump, ef trans and el thermos. The brand new water pump turned up today, will order the xh auto tensioner and belt next week when I get paid and then have the motor out of the car and on the stand ready for a degrease and get the motor stripped down so that I can see any extra bits and peices and start the long and arduous task of sand an paint...

Has anyone played with torque converters or can link me to something on here, Im sure that anything in new technology has better power tranfer than the 20 odd year old one thats in there....

Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

Im gonna have a go with the el ecu, if it doesnt work my mates at the wreckers are happy to swap it straight over... will also have a go at the shift kit d.i.y as I love doing that sort of thing...

Went to the wreckers and got all my parts on the go for a serpentine conversion, will have a 100k el block, el alternator and power steering pump, ef trans and el thermos. The brand new water pump turned up today, will order the xh auto tensioner and belt next week when I get paid and then have the motor out of the car and on the stand ready for a degrease and get the motor stripped down so that I can see any extra bits and peices and start the long and arduous task of sand an paint...

Has anyone played with torque converters or can link me to something on here, Im sure that anything in new technology has better power tranfer than the 20 odd year old one thats in there....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 5  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next