Fordmods Logo

banarcus' ED Fairmont V8 wagon 

Page 10 of 18 [ 260 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next

Post subject: Re: banarcus' ED Fairmont V8 wagon
Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Banarcus, you have one sexy wagon mate!! 8-)

Love that colour, and the CSA prowlers suit it nicely. Sounds bloody mint too, nothing beats the sound of a worked V8. Im liking the idea of this in-car PC, ill be watching this build with interest :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

edited

Last edited by mystro on Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Cheers Ben, pm your number.

KWIKXR wrote:
Banarcus, you have one sexy wagon mate!!

Love that colour, and the CSA prowlers suit it nicely. Sounds bloody mint too, nothing beats the sound of a worked V8. Im liking the idea of this in-car PC, ill be watching this build with interest

Thanks kwik, I love nothing but the sound of an eight even if it gets smacked by smaller motors. It's a cruiser now, not a bruiser.

mystro wrote:
hey barnacus
i couldnt remember whether you said centrafuze was your operating system or not.
i was reading up on centrafuze and maybe i missed the point but i didnt notice an wifi plug in available. plus i want to use nextg
im thinkin get windows to kick centrafuze off in start up but run so its running in windows via cmd ,aka ghost operating environment .
so windows maintains full function.
there are free programmes around up to the task .

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 700m with a pentium M and has only 512mb ram. I have the PC set up so as soon as it boots up, it fires up Centrafuse straight away. From a fresh reboot it takes about 55secs to get into Centrafuse or about 15 secs out of hibernation. It runs pretty quick and has a small footprint on the ram. The pictures that I have posted are only some of the things available. Theres also a OBD2 bit there to show what your motor is doing too, bit like the new skylines. That wont work on a ED running EF-EL electrics though.

If you want a demo mate, give me a yell and I'll come over and give you a look and play.

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

i am a dumbass i t has a web browser ,i had the names mixed up with something else i was reading .
and i confused my self in the first conversation due to my not being a good listner lol

yer would like to see it in action mounted and installed of course /

Posted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

When it's all hooked up and done mystro, I'll give you a demo :)

Well, I completed another wiring job that will alow me to use EL thermo fans and a DL ECU with an EF wiring loom. Basically I have converted the thermo fan relay pack from four relays to three and the EL fans have one plug rather than the two on the EFs. Finally this allowed me to install the thermo fans and have full factory ECU control of them. Just another thing that the melted E series owners take for granted that the boxcar owners want for their cars. Fans courtesy of mystro.

And another piece of the EF/EL jigsaw puzzle courtesy of mystro, that will finally allow me to mount my EF front seats onto my ED floorpan like what racedirector did on his wagon.

Just waiting for a 12V DC plug for my Dell laptop before I then try out stage one of the car pc. Then I'll start with the double-DIN LCD screen.

EDIT: Just a quick heads up for those using Max Ellery's Workshop Manuals out there. They are garbage. The wiring diagrams, although quite clear in in their layout, are downright inaccurate in the wire colours and pinout reference numbers. Basically my RH thermo fan was running flat out so I checked all my wiring 3 times, replaced all the relays twice and still the same problem persisted. It wasn't until I had another good look at the EL-BA thermo fan logic table in my factory BA manual that I realised that good old Max has got the EL thermo fan diagram wrong. Be careful with inaccurate rubbish in his manuals.

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
EDIT: Just a quick heads up for those using Max Ellery's Workshop Manuals out there. They are garbage. The wiring diagrams, although quite clear in in their layout, are downright inaccurate in the wire colours and pinout reference numbers. Basically my RH thermo fan was running flat out so I checked all my wiring 3 times, replaced all the relays twice and still the same problem persisted. It wasn't until I had another good look at the EL-BA thermo fan logic table in my factory BA manual that I realised that good old Max has got the EL thermo fan diagram wrong. Be careful with inaccurate rubbish in his manuals.

It is a good thing Max does not make sex manuals, can you imagine the doctors flushing out ears and emergency services freeing sex organs out places they should not go.

Another good comedy read is Max's XD-XF manual, I often wonder if anyone has tried to sue them for damages caused by following instructions in them.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

What a stinker, damn warm here in the Hunter today but I've got a few days off so I got stuck into a job that I've been wanting to do for a long while. Basically the dash top that I scavenged out of a EF Fairmont was in very poor condition and no amount of shiney polish stuff was going to bring it back to life. It also had cracks in it and busted mounting lugs so it was time to go.

Dash out for the 3rd time:

Old dash top:

Then I replaced the old one with an EL Ghia. The plans is to eventually mount a atom sized PC behind the passenger airbag. It is stuck there for now:

While the dash was out, I decided to tackle the air con bypass system. New foam bits made from some spare carpet underlay on the heater box. I also did the bit on the fresh air thingo on the passenger side too:

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

OOOOO, pulling out dashes is one of my 'favourite' pastimes. LOL

Should look great when it is back together.

I did my foam bits when I put the EL dash in my Wagon. Well worth the time and effort.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks Ben, the dash is a pain to do but gets easier every time I do it. I knocked that complete job over in about 3 hours including the replacing the foam. Looking forward now to having a good blast of cold air streaming out of the vents this summer too. These photos are of the completed job although again, nothing out of the ordinary for the average e series owner......

The big job that I have in front of me now is converting a sedan back seat to fit a wagon. I might wait until the weather cools a bit though. Also bought some timber strips that I'll replacing the povo Ford fake wood with. Looking at a dark walnut/Sydney bluegum colour then coated in 2 pac polyurethane like I did to my timber floors in the house. The automatic selector plate will also be getting the same treatment.

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
The big job that I have in front of me now is converting a sedan back seat to fit a wagon.
If it's like mine Mark, not too hard.
Swap bolster coverings over, swap cushions and coverings over to the wagon top frame - need to drill a couple of extra holes for cable ties (use them instead of hog rings)use the sedan centre arm rest (you'll notice sedan and wagon ones are different sizes)bottom seat needs no change.
But you'll figure it all out.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
banarcus wrote:
The big job that I have in front of me now is converting a sedan back seat to fit a wagon.
If it's like mine Mark, not too hard.
Swap bolster coverings over, swap cushions and coverings over to the wagon top frame - need to drill a couple of extra holes for cable ties (use them instead of hog rings)use the sedan centre arm rest (you'll notice sedan and wagon ones are different sizes)bottom seat needs no change.
But you'll figure it all out.

I have a cunning plan here snap. Ford used common hinge mounts on the top frames of the rear seat. The beauty here is that they have three or four holes where the hinges pivot from. The plan I have is to drill out the rivets in the hinges and simply swap them over and use domed headed bolts and nylock nuts. I'll post up some photos to explain what I mean.

I've also ordered some LEDs too so I can then convert my old yellow interior lights to freshen it up a bit just like you did to Ben's wagon.

The 351 has been put on hold too. I've just burnt through $4k+ on this fireplace. At least we will be warm next winter. The joys of home ownership and family priorities and having little funds for playtoys:

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice fire place Mark. That was one of the things that drew me to the houses up your way. I love the period style interiors and have seen some wonderful fireplaces in the houses we looked at. Pity the wife didn't share my enthusiasm for old houses. :(
I'm sure you have a shield for the fire place, but I have a nice steel one here which I have no need for as this house has no fireplace and there are no plans in the near future to add one. I'll post up a pic if your interested, and I can bring it with me friday night. It's only heading off to Vinnie's if not!
Cheers,
Mick

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Bring it along please Mick, thats the final piece(nearly) of the puzzle.

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Done! I couldn't bring myself to throw it in the skip bin. Glad I can donate it to a worthwhile cause!

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:48 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
I have a cunning plan here snap. Ford used common hinge mounts on the top frames of the rear seat. The beauty here is that they have three or four holes where the hinges pivot from. The plan I have is to drill out the rivets in the hinges and simply swap them over and use domed headed bolts and nylock nuts. I'll post up some photos to explain what I mean.
Yeah Mate - still have the sedan frames out the back - IIRC I studied both and found I couldn't swap hinges and have them latch properly and/or line up. Been I while so I can't remember exactly. Obviously study both frames in detail before going ahead. At least if you need to go my method, you'll know there's not really any nasty surprises.

banarcus wrote:
I've also ordered some LEDs too so I can then convert my old yellow interior lights to freshen it up a bit just like you did to Ben's wagon.
Yeah, can't beat nice white 'fluoro' light - done both my cars ages ago. It dropped Benj's interior light power from around 50 watts to 2 watts. Making his doors lights independent of the others, i.e. come on when only that door is open, worked well also. Good thing is the lenses won't melt, and won't also scald the seat covering. Just have to look at some EL Ghia's or Fairlanes at the leather and the damage over time.

banarcus wrote:
I've just burnt through $4k+ on this fireplace. At least we will be warm next winter. The joys of home ownership and family priorities and having little funds for playtoys
Good idea to have a good shield and protection - seen too many times people lose everything in a house fire caused by the fireplace.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 10 of 18  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 18  Next