Fordmods Logo

banarcus' ED Fairmont V8 wagon 

Page 11 of 18 [ 260 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next

Post subject: Re: banarcus' ED Fairmont V8 wagon
Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
Bring it along please Mick, thats the final piece(nearly) of the puzzle.

Bloody LPG tank! It doesn't fit mate. I don't have the luxry of a wagon :P but I'm working on it :wink:
I will have a couple of kids tagging along for the ride tonight, so I can't put it in back either. We'll have to work something else out, but it's still yours :mrgreen:

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: BA Ford Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Finally got the rear leather lounge seat in the wagon. Like I said earlier, I swapped the sedan hinges on the leater seats for the wagon hinges on my ED Fairmont rear. They have rivets in the hinges from the factory so I drilled them out and used bolts and nylock nuts. All done in half a day.

The difference between the hinges. Sedan on top and wagon on the bottom:

The different mounting holes that Ford used. All the seat backs were the same, they just used the different holes to suit the chassis:

This was the second hardest bit. I had to remove the centre foldout armrest. It wasn't all that hard, just time consuming.

The stuff I used to fit the hinges back to the frames:

Righto, now for a trial fit. Easy peasy, just like the factory intended:

Now for the other side:

The hardest part of the job? Trying to squash the seat base so it will clip in. Took me ages :evil:

I reused the sedan side bolsters because there was simply not enough leather to go around the chunkier wagon bolster. It didn't matter anyway because they fit in easy enough, just need to use a longer bolt for the bottom(I'm using E series cable ties for the time being). The problem is mainly from the rear:

Which has got me thinking. I'll being filling this gap up with an AU - BA stationwagon rear speaker setup. I'll have to visit the wreckers and take a few photos and pull them apart and see what I come up with....

Interested in a fair go for the Hunter-New England area of NSW?

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Very nicely done.

You could source the EL carpeted wagon side panels, which should fill that space nicely too.

I am interested in seeing how the AU/BA speaker boxes fit, as I wouldn't mind doing that myself.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Looking good there banarcus, nice work :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

The speaker boxes will be custom made but based the BA setup. I've been thinking about the EL rear carpet bits too Ben, they wouldn't rattle around like the older model plastic bits I'm sure. I'll suss out the EL Fututa wagon rear at my local wreckers.

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Got an important upgrade done today. The racedirector way of doing things. The main reason is better mounting of the seat rails and another is the lack of cold air to the rear seat air-con vents. All done in about 3 hours. Tomorrow, got to replace a window regulator and remove/paint/refit the door handles as mine are missing bits and pieces of clear coat. Might do the mirrors too.

Also going to revisit my original handbrake mod as the angle is too radical for the cable running off the handbrake handle to the hole in the floor. If I didn't just buy new pads and rotors for the rear, I'd go the whole hog and just buy a EF/EL wagon rear axle housing. :cry:

Posted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EDL Fairmont Wagon/AU XR8 Ghia

NSW, Australia

Brilliant stuff there matey, well done. For a little work, the wide world of modern seat options open up. Then again I am still waiting for the right set to come along, have had 2 "almost's" over the last 6 months but still no seats :(

The EL handbrake is actually easy if you have the EL style handbrake on the rear. I cheated and did the whole EL thing so don't know the heartache of getting it working with ED style rears.

=1994 ED Wagon GLi body/EL Fairmont spec with *ALL* EL running gear.=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=65695
=1998 EL Futura Sedan - The EF Fairmonts Replacement=
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=106588

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Have just been checking out more of your thread since I last looked. Well done on the dash stuff matey, I hate that job! And real interested in this car PC thing, I am very tempted to ditch all the airbag stuff and use the pass one as a hidey hole.....

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

racedirector wrote:
Have just been checking out more of your thread since I last looked. Well done on the dash stuff matey, I hate that job! And real interested in this car PC thing, I am very tempted to ditch all the airbag stuff and use the pass one as a hidey hole.....

I opened the passenger side airbag door today to suss out how much room I have in there. Lets just say that there are two different air ducts behind the dash that run to the passenger side air vents. Obviously there is a small and normal with small being used on airbag equipped cars. I used the normal sized duct from the EF dash and it consumes too much of my hidey hole area where the airbag once sat. There is enough room there for a Atom sized motherboard PC in there but still, its very squashy....

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
racedirector wrote:

I opened the passenger side airbag door today to suss out how much room I have in there. Lets just say that there are two different air ducts behind the dash that run to the passenger side air vents. Obviously there is a small and normal with small being used on airbag equipped cars. I used the normal sized duct from the EF dash and it consumes too much of my hidey hole area where the airbag once sat. There is enough room there for a Atom sized motherboard PC in there but still, its very squashy....

Ah, I must have the small one then as mine still has an airbag in it. Will check it out when I debag the thing...

BTW, I forgot to ask about your seat transformation. Why did you have to stuff around with the center rear armrest? Are they that different between car & wagon? The rest looks simple enough so I can widen my search to car seats now as well as wagon......

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Nice work Mark. Its coming along well.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:16 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

banarcus wrote:
You should be able to hit the ducting with a hot air gun in situ, and reshape it - use a wet rag to cool and 'set' it.
racedirector wrote:
BTW, I forgot to ask about your seat transformation. Why did you have to stuff around with the center rear armrest? Are they that different between car & wagon? The rest looks simple enough so I can widen my search to car seats now as well as wagon......
They are different lengths - you can have a look at mine when I see you - the back seat is sedan, I still have the original wagon one sitting in the cargo area.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
racedirector wrote:
They are different lengths - you can have a look at mine when I see you - the back seat is sedan, I still have the original wagon one sitting in the cargo area.

Aha, you learn something new every day. While having a wagon is cool, the seat options are driving me nuts! :)

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Get sedan seats, pull the covers/cushions off and put them on the wagon Frame.
problem solved.

I've got EF Ghia Cuppa Leather in my wagon.

Only thing to keep in mind, depending on what seats you get etc, the headrests may be in a slightly different location :P

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:19 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
Only thing to keep in mind, depending on what seats you get etc, the headrests may be in a slightly different location :P
Yeah, this is a good point - the holes for the rear headrests are slightly out, you will need to cut the fabric slightly, but the headrests cover it anyway.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 11 of 18  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next