Fordmods Logo

BenJ's EB DOHC T5 Ghia Wagon 

Page 166 of 201 [ 3004 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 201  Next

Post subject: Re: BenJ's EB T5 Ghia Wagon + DOHC Install Progress
Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

That coolant bottle is good value for money, and any excuse for a road trip with a mate is a good one! Looks like eBay FTW again! Also that's pretty good fuel economy too!

I can totally appreciate your work area being outdoors, you just have to play it by the weather as to when you get to do the work on the car. Keep at it man!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Let us know how the coolant bottle goes. I'm keen for one at that price, just hesitant. Everybody who ever had an aftermarket one had it split or leak within weeks! Hopefully yours goes better.

That was a win on the lpg tank too!

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:34 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
Let us know how the coolant bottle goes. I'm keen for one at that price, just hesitant. Everybody who ever had an aftermarket one had it split or leak within weeks! Hopefully yours goes better.

yes, i also got an aftermarket one and it ended up leaking from around the cap neck.
it lasted 3 months.. so it ended up in the bin and i re fitted the old genuine one..

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
SLO247 wrote:

yes, i also got an aftermarket one and it ended up leaking from around the cap neck.
it lasted 3 months.. so it ended up in the bin and i re fitted the old genuine one..

Same here, but mine lasted 3 days, although they were dyno tuning days.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Hmmmmm. Time will tell re the coolant bottle.

I will advise how it goes and keep a close eye on it and the temp gauge.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mine popped around the caop. Seems to be a floor.

I hit George up for one, and it wasnt that much more.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:
SLO247 wrote:

Same here, but mine lasted 3 days, although they were dyno tuning days.

Brett

The dyno tunning days shouldn't make a difference, other than you got it hot enough that the radiator to release pressure, the good thing you had this happen in a controlled environment instead of on the track on a hot day etc.

The old saying is you get what you paid for, unless it had fallen off the back of a truck or someone else's misfortune, when I read Ben had got one for $45 I wondered about its quality, lets hope this does not cause Ben a failure late at night a long way from home, at least Ben has a coolant level sensor fitted.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL FAIRLANE BA TURBO POWERED

VIC, Australia

Had mine for over a year now no dramas whatsoever.

Steve

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fezlane wrote:

Steve

I must say I have lost a lot of faith in Chinese products when quality should be improving it isn't, if it was Taiwanese made I may however have more faith, whether it be a $10 t-shirt (probably cost more to post it than produce) or a $500 stereo I haven't seen anything that would last.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

Macca wrote:
fezlane wrote:

Steve

I must say I have lost a lot of faith in Chinese products when quality should be improving it isn't, if it was Taiwanese made I may however have more faith, whether it be a $10 t-shirt (probably cost more to post it than produce) or a $500 stereo I haven't seen anything that would last.

At my work, a couple of years ago, we were buying little diesel engines direct from China to power our fire pumps that we build. Yang Dong brand. The quality was appalling. These brand new engines were already rusting, little wonder we quote the lifespan at 5 -7 years. The better quality engines like Daewoo, John Deere, Lister-Petter, Cummins and Perkins get quoted at 15 - 20 years. That should give you an idea of their quality.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

evxr6 wrote:
Macca wrote:
fezlane wrote:

Steve

At my work, a couple of years ago, we were buying little diesel engines direct from China to power our fire pumps that we build. Yang Dong brand. The quality was appalling. These brand new engines were already rusting, little wonder we quote the lifespan at 5 -7 years. The better quality engines like Daewoo, John Deere, Lister-Petter, Cummins and Perkins get quoted at 15 - 20 years. That should give you an idea of their quality.

I think much of the poor quality is due to the middle man, the worker and company get paid a few dollars for a product then the middle man exports it and charges 900% mark up, I may sound ludicrous but if you purchase a plastic bottle for $5 and charge $45 (which is cheaper than most) what is the mark up?
Example:
Now if someone was to pay them say $60 to build and supply a quality item and then charge $100, same profit but $55 more which means the J**S won't look at the fact that it may save them an engine or tow cost, just the $55 they have right now, so Ebay makes more profits from more Paypal sales. Man I wish I had shares in Fleabay!!!!

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

BA DOHC 18 - Throttle Pedal

Some of you may not know this, but the BA onwards models use an electronic throttle pedal and throttle body.

This of course means that any conversion needs to have the throttle pedal included.

I acquired one early on.

It is a funny looking bit of gear and of course is very different to the E Series throttle pedal.

Here is a pic of the two items with the pedals held together.

As you can see the body of the BA Pedal is in an entirely different location compared to the EL Pedal mount.

I trial fitted the BA Pedal in the Wagon to work out where the motor body would fit and what obstacles there would be behind the dash.

The main issue is the rather large loom coming out of the firewal, but there is adequate room above there in the Wagon for the BA Pedal body to fit.

My solution is to build a bracket that bolts to the E Series Pedal mount and supports the BA Pedal in the required location. I had some bits and pieces in the garage that I thought would be useful.

Starting out with the piece of metal and multiple trial fits I was able to come up with a usable bracket.

During the process when trying to fit the pedal setup into the ED Ghia, I found there was less room behind the dash and the top of the BA Pedal kept hitting something above it that wasn't there in the EB Wagon. Further inspection found the ED had the ABS computer mounted up there, and after it was removed all was well. While this is OK for me as my Wagon does not have ABS, for those of you wanting to do a similar thing in the future in an EB or ED with ABS, you may have to move the ABS computer to allow clearance for the BA Pedal.

The finished item.

Mounted in the ED Ghia test car.

The wiring loom for the BA Pedal will be connected to the PCM via a 7 Core Trailer loom which will run through the original throttle cable hole. It will be wired up in a temp fashion for testing purposes, but once in the Wagon will be soldered up properly.

The bracket will be cleaned up and painted later on.

Cheers
BenJ

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Nice work!

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Good work onthe bracket but I would like to see a strengthening rib welded in the longest part at the rear to stop the twisting and flex that will happen in everyday use.
It would be easy to weld one in.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EVL098 wrote:
Good work onthe bracket but I would like to see a strengthening rib welded in the longest part at the rear to stop the twisting and flex that will happen in everyday use.
It would be easy to weld one in.

I am happy to get something done, but I am doubtful it is needed.

The steel is 3mm thick and I had to use a lot of force and a baby sledge hammer to bend it into the shape it is in now.

I wouldn't have thought the forces acting on the throttle pedal from daily use would cause any twisting and flexing.

I will however acknowledge that I have now where near your experience when it comes to fabricating things.

Cheers
BenJ

Sort by  
 Page 166 of 201  [ 3004 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169 ... 201  Next