Fordmods Logo

Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build 

Page 9 of 20 [ 297 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Re: Ef turbo build
Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Im not really liking this automatic locker....... when on decelleration around corners. E.g small roundabouts i have to coast around it because if i keep it in gear and try apply light throttle when its unlocked it jerks and clanks. I would seriously prefer a spool at the moment.

Its also suffering from some axle tramp but i think its due to my rear shock absorbers when i try put power down at low speeds, either that or a combination of that and my rear bushes may be flogged out.

What worries me is the clanking and jerking when it trys to lock/unlock at low speed in tighter turns.

This would be perfect for drag racing and track work but for every day driving its just a little too rough for my liking.

Im thinking about putting my standard lsd back in and selling the locker..... dont know yet

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

It's gotten quieter, kinda getting used to driving it now. I think I'll keep it :D I like traction!

Ok so just an update:
Car wouldn't start yesterday morning, I have been having trouble with my ignition switch for the past year. Need to wriggle the key while car is running to get the accessories to come on. Also it blew the 60a ignition fuse after it short circuited. The end where the wires come out had actually popped out of the lock housing :O so I went to the wreckers and picked up a whole switch/ignition barrel from the wreckers for 45 bucks and put that in. One thing that was annoying was they used shear bolts from factory to mount the ignition switch/lock onto the steering column. So had to get the chisel and hammer out to undo them and replaced with 2 spare Allen key bolts I had laying around. I also swapped my barrel over so that I didn't have to use 2 keys. There was a trick to getting the barrel out of the lock housing too, had to switch key to Acc then push pin in side of housing while pushing key in and it pops out.... Anyways re fitted everything then reconnected battery and hey accessories and ignition came on! Presto. Before nothing came on only interior light and smartlock flashing on dash. Had to leave ignition on for 3/4 of an hour for the bcm to reset itself before it would actually start though.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

so the locker is wearing in now, or are you just getting used to the way it acts when driving around corners?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
so the locker is wearing in now, or are you just getting used to the way it acts when driving around corners?

Yeah has gotten quieter, still noisy in carparks when cornering with foot on clutch. But when casually going around bends and roundabouts isn't so bad when it's under load, almost goes silent. But its a little jerky when your cornering tight at low speeds on light throttle cause the diff tries to lock then unlock. You basically have to foot on clutch if your going on full steering lock unless your putting power down and skidding it haha.

The sound it makes is like a ratcheting or clicking sound when it's unlocked. It locks with about 30 percent or more throttle.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

does it work properly or does it lock up sometimes for no reason or stay unlocked when you bury the boot etc?

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:06 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i got my locker diff during the week aswell..
i havnt fitted it to the car yet as its a ef housing and i need to make some custom brackets to fit my custom hand brake set up to suit the ed..

anyway with the mechanical lockers they lock on forward load and reverse load, so in a manual car they lock the centre on decelleration aswell, so on the transition from deceleration to acceleration they unlock and relock making alot of clunks and clicks,
once you get use to how it works.
as you have found if you turn with minimum to no load its pretty smooth, or it keeps bouncing back and forward like taking up the lash they kind of hop and pig root..lol

Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
i got my locker diff during the week aswell..
i havnt fitted it to the car yet as its a ef housing and i need to make some custom brackets to fit my custom hand brake set up to suit the ed..

anyway with the mechanical lockers they lock on forward load and reverse load, so in a manual car they lock the centre on decelleration aswell, so on the transition from deceleration to acceleration they unlock and relock making alot of clunks and clicks,
once you get use to how it works.
as you have found if you turn with minimum to no load its pretty smooth, or it keeps bouncing back and forward like taking up the lash they kind of hop and pig root..lol

Yep pretty much it, if you drive it like its still got an open centre or LSD then it will clunk and whatnot. Once your used to it, it's not so bad. I usually just give it a little bit of throttle then just coast with foot on clutch when in carparks to avoid clunking/jerking. When your at higher speeds it's not so bad though.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
does it work properly or does it lock up sometimes for no reason or stay unlocked when you bury the boot etc?

Sorry for late reply, umm yeah works properly. Locks Everytime
You put the boot into it. Just a couple times it had made quite a large bang as if it
Momentarily locked while on light throttle around corners. I think it was because it had just enough torque to lock up then I must of backed off a touch and that's what caused it to bang then unlock. Just gotta get used to driving it. I'm used to it now.

Anyways another thing that happened the other day was when I was driving to tafe the last 2 weeks down the Bruce highway i had cruise control on and it was jerking forward and back in a straight line, I thought it was odd and when I accelerated it pulled to the right then when I backed off it tried going left. Anyways I thought it had something to do with the locker but stupid me realizes my right hand rear tyres was flat yesterday. Don't know how long it had been like that but the problems I mentioned above was a combination of the locker and the flat tyre. When it was going down the highway the rh-r wheels rolling diameter was obviously smaller so it was trying to ratchet the locker causing it to jerk. This also accounts for it pulling to the right on acceleration as the left wheel would wanna cover more ground than the rh one when it's locked causing it to pull to the right. And I only realized it was flat yesterday.... Had a nail in the tyre. Wonder how long it's been like that? Hahah gonna take the wheel into work tomoz and pull the tyre off and repair it.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Getting rid of the locker now.... It's coming out and being replaced with a full spool for now and hopefully get a diff built down the track with a tru track centre would be ideal :D

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Took it down to test n tune at willowbank last night and ran a PB of 13.48 @ 106MPH still gotta work on my launches tho as its my first time racing. Had a bit of axle tramp problems and it was running only 9 psi. Usually gets up to 10.8 nearly 11 but for some reason I think the warm air is the reason for the under boosting. Kept turning it up a little bit on each run but my launches were rubbish and was only gettin 13.6 - 13.7 on my last 2 runs for the night.

Also scrapped the idea of the full spool and going straight for a tru trac centre which is being ordered on monday :D

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just another update:

I somehow managed to be bothered to pull the dash out today to replace my heater unit/evaporator.

here are a few pics

Just started...

Messy wiring:

Stains from my old heater unit where the coolant was leaking

Different BCM's

Was going to replace my bcm too but the one i got was out of a futura and i thought they would be the same (mid series) but they were different sizes and plugs. Although this one was out of a 1996 ef... dont know if they are any different to a 95?? or maybe its just the xr's that have these ones. Ive installed the new heater unit and checked all the vaccum actuators to make sure they were working. Had to chop and change a few around so i had all the best bits on my new unit. (few leaky diaphgrams and broken door swivels)

Dash is still out though as i couldnt be bothered doing anymore, going to wait and try and source a bcm this week so i can finish it off next saturday.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

how longs it take to pull the dash out? im not looking forward to mine, its stuck half on hot and the recirulation/vent flap doesnt open/ close.
almost keen to just leave it as is lol

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

It's easy mate just a bit time consuming. Pretty surprised tho I had it out in about 3 hrs. If you have a Gregory's manual it shows you where all the bolts and connectors are hiding and tells you what to pull off first. So didn't really stuff around just got it done. Just gotta be careful when you pull the air intake housing on the left side there's 3 nuts that's you have to take off and the left one is behind an actuator arm just gotta watch the arm that you don't break them.

And yeh mine used to stay stuck on windscreen vent. It's because the vacuum diaphragms leak and the vents don't stay open/closed.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

so chances are my problem is just vacuum, its all good on the engine bay side so im just looking at the dash board side

BF XR6

Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yep. Easiest way to test them is push the diaphragm arm all the way in and with the vacuum line disconnected put your finger over the port to seal it off. If the arm stays its ok. If it slowly returns to its normal position then your diaphragm is leaking hence why it won't hold open/close or is leaking just enough to hold the blend door half open (as there is constant vacuum when activated). But if I recall correctly the temperature adjustment is a cable/pushrod which can be adjusted with glovebox removed. The recirculate vent is vaccum activated though.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 20  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next