Fordmods Logo

Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build 

Page 12 of 20 [ 297 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Re: Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Yeah true, mine is warped too. Well the new manifold I'm getting from 6 boost are made just from steam pipe... just wondering whether my snort waste gate will fit on the new manifold without hitting anything. They are rather large... the turbosmart wastegates ive seen fitted with 6 boost manifolds seem to be pretty tight fit and they are a smaller waste gate too. Hmm

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Is it the same flange ? You'll just have to see if it fits. Or ask someone that's used that setup

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Manifold doesn't come with a flange ill have to weld my old one on. I meant like where the wastegate pipe sits it looks like the wastegate would be pretty close to the back of the header tank/strut tower. It will probably fit just need to put more heat shielding around that area.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Nice work mate ! Good to see that the work is still continuing. Shame about the manifold, was it a snort second hand ?

With the catch can did you run both rocker cover breathers to the can ? Then block up the BBM part ?

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

B Bear wrote:
Nice work mate ! Good to see that the work is still continuing. Shame about the manifold, was it a snort second hand ?

With the catch can did you run both rocker cover breathers to the can ? Then block up the BBM part ?

Yeah manifold was second hand. It came with the car I salvaged the motor out of. I'm kinda glad in a way cause I wanted to upgrade my manifold and it gave me a reason to. Haha.

Yeh catch can has both rear breather and pcv plumbed to it with external filter. And yeh bbm hose is blocked off.

Cheers,
Corbin

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
B Bear wrote:

Yeah manifold was second hand. It came with the car I salvaged the motor out of. I'm kinda glad in a way cause I wanted to upgrade my manifold and it gave me a reason to. Haha.

Yeh catch can has both rear breather and pcv plumbed to it with external filter. And yeh bbm hose is blocked off.

Cheers,
Corbin

Haha don't you love how that works out, when you want to replace something but just don't have a good enough excuse to do it :P

Cheers for that, I thought that was the way most people ran the lines. Also going to have the PCV there but gutted out the inner part of it because there will be no vac on the line.

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

QLD, Australia

Hey corbin,

Nice to see you still working on it! I will be down on the coast around xmas time so might have to drop over and show you my new toy!!! PM me your number and ill give you a yell when im down that way.

99 AU Fairlane Ghia V8 Black Leather, 19" ANZ 5+5's with 245/35 rubber
Full sound system. Extractors, Dual 2.25" exhaust.
Lowered on Tickford XR8 springs and shocks!!

Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

So i received the new manifold in the mail today, spent the afternoon after work dummy fitting it to my engine and checking clearances and oil and water lines and rotated housings to suit new manifold. Had to trim the thread on the drivers side engine mount to clear one of the runners but it was no big deal took me 5 mins with an angle grinder and loosened engine bracket and it dropped 3mm. So just fitted a low profile nut to the grinded off stud. Works a treat! Also Kyle from 6 boost was really helpful he said that if i couldnt get it to clear he would pay for freight to send back and modify the runner. But fortunatly that was not necessary! He is a top bloke and would recommend him to anyone. Also manifold is an awesome fit disregarding the engine mount. Doesnt hit heater pipe and holes all line up perfectly with supplied exhaust studs. Couldnt be happier. All that needs modifying is my oil drain hose, needs to be lenghtened 150mm. All other oil and waterlines still fitted up good.

Going to enzed tomorrow and getting a fitting welded to my sump for speedflow connection to oil drain hose and getting my heater pipe fitting re brazed as it was weeping coolant.

Here are some pics:

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Loving the look of the new manifold Corbin ! How are you going to fit up the waste gate to it ?

Build Thread:

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

B Bear wrote:
Loving the look of the new manifold Corbin ! How are you going to fit up the waste gate to it ?

I don't know :/ hahahaha. My snort wastegate is hugeee. Thinking about ordering a turbo smart pro gate 50mm they look like a pretty compact unit and is what most people use who run these manifolds. Ill see how I go but that's the most likely solution....

The manifold comes with a 50mm wastegate pipe on a 90 degree bend and they supply it
Separate so you can cut and weld it on the exact angle required.

Cheers,
Corbin

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
B Bear wrote:

I don't know :/ hahahaha. My snort wastegate is hugeee. Thinking about ordering a turbo smart pro gate 50mm they look like a pretty compact unit and is what most people use who run these manifolds. Ill see how I go but that's the most likely solution....

The manifold comes with a 50mm wastegate pipe on a 90 degree bend and they supply it
Separate so you can cut and weld it on the exact angle required.

Cheers,
Corbin

Haha just have to wait and see huh ? Should be interesting trying to work out what part to use, so much research.
Yeah I saw the extra bit of pipe, lucky they add it in otherwise you would be stuff with whatever is attached on the manifold.

Always fun looking at other peoples turbo work, cannot wait to have mine up and running.

Build Thread:

Posted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I think I will most likely get the 50mm turbosmart gate, I have emailed Justin at tuff car parts just waiting on a reply...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Finally got the motor ready to drop in, did the timing chain today and replaced the timing cover with a painted black one i had sitting around, replaced the tensioner and seals and front crank seal. Also put the sump on and used about half a tube of toyota black on it. I had an old one peice rubber sump gasket of one of my old motors still in good condition so i used that instead of the 4 piece one i got from autopro, the half moons looked dodgy and the sealing surface wasnt grooved like the rubber one. Also fitted my bbm with a new gasket and my exhaust manifold with a new acl double layered steel gasket.

Also went to enzed yesterday arvo and got them to re braze my heater pipe for coolant feed for turbo and they also supplied me with a longer braided drain hose for my oil return to sump. Didnt end up getting a threaded fitting welded to sump because the fittings they had were too big and looked kinda silly. Instead i used the same method as last time and this time i have a hydraulic hose clamp which has a wider surface area and can clamp alot harder than the worm drive ones. Should do the trick nicely. All other coolant feed and return and oil feed didnt need to be modified as they fitted straight up with the new manifold.

Dropping engine in first thing tomorrow morning, and as soon as new wastegate arrives it will be towed to exhaust shop for new dump pipe etc.

Pro gate 50 is ordered and payed for thanks to Justin at tuff car parts. Should hopefully be here around mid next week :D

here are some pics from today

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Motor is in!
didnt do much this morning just put my new rear main seal in and then dropped engine in and put tail shaft in. Still gotta connect everything up and stuff but dont have time today. Really loving the new position of the turbo with the new manifold!

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Pulled my front bumper off yesterday and fitted my A/C line and car got towed to exhaust shop this morning. Also received my new wastegate in the mail today from Justin at tuff car parts :D
took it to the exhaust shop this afternoon and hopefully they will have it ready by tomorrow afternoon.
They are fabbing up a new dump pipe and welding my wastegate flanges on. And mating up my intercooler pipe to my turbo outlet. Looks like its going to be a really tight fit near the clutch cable/ brake master cylinder. Wonder how much its going to cost.... Anyone know the going rate for custom made dump pipes with wastegate pipe merged and O2 sensor bung? hopefully its not much more than 300ish kinda hard up at the moment with all this spending and still need to do chrissy shopping :(

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 12 of 20  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 20  Next