Fordmods Logo

Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build 

Page 13 of 20 [ 297 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Post subject: Re: Corbin's ef xr6 turbo build
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ef XR6t

QLD, Australia

Ah i feel like ive been raped, got it back from the exhaust shop today and $600 later....
He did the dump pipe and wastegate pipe and O2 sensor bung and cooler pipe from turbo to cooler.
He reckons it took 7 hrs labour so fair enough. But im feeling a little poor now after spending all this money at christmas time...

here are the pics of work done... wastegate is a tight fit next to turbo and strut tower.
Sounds louder now too for some reason. Didnt think it would be that different... can barely hear it flutter now over the exhaust note.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread
http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/ef-turbo-build-t103080.html

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yea when it comes to turboing money goes fast..lol
i just spent over 2g on exhaust, injectors. flash tuner and tuning on my au to have the car defected within a week meaning it all had to come off and returned to stock.. :roll:

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Your telling me!! This little stint with motor out cost me nearly 3g. Was only planning on fixing oil leaks and steering rack etc and was budgeting on around 500-600 haha.

But yeah would suck to have to pull all ur turbo gear off after putting it together...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t
Garrett gt3582r, 6 boost manifold, turbosmart 50mm gate, microtech ltx-12s, eboost, 044, 60lb siemens deka, 3.45 Tru Trac. 333.4rwhp@12psi Tuned by P.I.T.S

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Looking good there mate !! Certainly not the cheapest thing to be doing. My dump pipe work was going to be between 200 - 300. Then the middle part of the exhaust was rooted so got that replaced too. Just shy of 600 on it.

Need to get some pipe made up for the intercooler once it's on good to have a price on someone else who has had it done.

What pressure is that wastegate set to ? Also where is your vac line feeding to ? Isn't it meant to be as close the compression housing as possible ?

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Not exactly sure what the wastegate is set to just playing around with it now. It has a 7psi spring in it but just trying to figure out what to set it at with my boost controller cause my old spring was like a 5 psi spring. So just playing around with the settings now. Vac line from my wastegate goes to my boost control solenoid then there's one that vents to atmosphere and one that goes to a pressure source ie before the throttle body so that line comes from around my throttle body area on the pressure side not vac side. If that makes sense haha

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just took it for a drive and the quick connect fuel line came off and fuel pissing put everywhere and car would barely drive missing trying to get it back in the driveway. Clicked it back in and seems alright. Took it for another drive and I set my boost controller to what I think would be just above 7 psi. Got it to 8.1 psi but it seemed a little doughie for some reason.... Have to figure out what's going on... It's not idling properly either. I think cause the clips on my idle speed control plug are broken and nothing to hold it in position. Hmm might just wait till the weekend to work on it. Sick of working into the dark on weekdays after work.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
Not exactly sure what the wastegate is set to just playing around with it now. It has a 7psi spring in it but just trying to figure out what to set it at with my boost controller cause my old spring was like a 5 psi spring. So just playing around with the settings now. Vac line from my wastegate goes to my boost control solenoid then there's one that vents to atmosphere and one that goes to a pressure source ie before the throttle body so that line comes from around my throttle body area on the pressure side not vac side. If that makes sense haha

Yeah I think I know exactly what you are saying there, I went and purchased a turbosmart boost controller last night... Check out the picture in my thread and see if the setup is the same as yours.

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Is yours a manual boost controller or electronic? For manual ones you just Hook it up as per diagram in your thread. Mine is electronic so I have a solenoid that controls everything. And the pressure side can be hooked up anywhere between turbo outlet to throttle body. Doesn't have to be on the compressor
Housing on the turbo...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
Is yours a manual boost controller or electronic? For manual ones you just Hook it up as per diagram in your thread. Mine is electronic so I have a solenoid that controls everything. And the pressure side can be hooked up anywhere between turbo outlet to throttle body. Doesn't have to be on the compressor
Housing on the turbo...

Yeah it's the small manual one. Ahhh very cool, I remember seeing one of your posts ages back recommending an electronic one as it reduces the possibility of boost spike. I will just hook it up via the diagram and bolt to the left hand side of the car somewhere...

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

A good manual one shouldnt spike. Turbosmart are usually pretty good. The advantage of an electronic one is it keeps the wastegate shut longer until desired boost pressure is almost reached then it opens where as manual controllers the gate will start opening earlier and it will slow the amount of time it takes to reach full boost. If that makes sense haha. Or you can just run no boost controller and it will go off wastegate spring pressure. But same spool up characteristics as a manual controller.

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

xr6_corbin wrote:
A good manual one shouldnt spike. Turbosmart are usually pretty good. The advantage of an electronic one is it keeps the wastegate shut longer until desired boost pressure is almost reached then it opens where as manual controllers the gate will start opening earlier and it will slow the amount of time it takes to reach full boost. If that makes sense haha. Or you can just run no boost controller and it will go off wastegate spring pressure. But same spool up characteristics as a manual controller.

Yep makes sense :D I decided why not have one installed now that the intercooler is going in. The wastegate spring is set to about 5 or 6 psi. Decided best to install it now before a tune so at least we can play around with boost whilst on the dyno.

Build Thread:

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

if your after a good manual boost controler, this is what i had..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbotech-ma ... 335e98a59b

never had a boost problem, always held the boost that it was set to..

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

f**k just realized the idiots at the exhaust shop put gasket sealant around my manifold to head and turbo to manifold and both ends of dump pipe. Hope it doesn't f**k my cat. Had metal gaskets all round shouldn't of needed sealant. Hmm

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
if your after a good manual boost controler, this is what i had..
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbotech-ma ... 335e98a59b

never had a boost problem, always held the boost that it was set to..

Damn shame I didn't see this before I bought the turbosmart boost controller. Oh well I'm sure it's just as good.y

Build Thread:

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Update:
pulled my wastegate off this morning to find the exhaust shop did not install the valve seat and exhaust gas has been leaking past grr. So i went and seen them today and they cant find it so i have ordered a new one and got the exhaust shop to pay. This explains why it wasnt coming on boost as hard as before. Should see a big difference once i put the missing peice of the puzzle in...

Just Falcon Around.
EF xr6t

Build Thread

Sort by  
 Page 13 of 20  [ 297 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next