Fordmods Logo

Daniels EL XR6 build 

Page 33 of 40 [ 588 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Post subject: Re: Daniels EL XR6 build
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Jonathan Kakousidis wrote:
hey just a quick question.
if someone had the EL gt uprights would they beable to use AU twin pistons as a brake upgrade.
instead of trying to find a full set of GT brakes.

Yes you can use au 2 twin pot calipers on el gt up rights, and au te50 calipers and vn ss group a caliper , and I think corvette calipers
Calipers are cheap , brake pads are cheap . It's getting the uprights modified and buying the rotors which is expensive .

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
if someone had the EL gt uprights would they beable to use AU twin pistons as a brake upgrade.

Yes you can use au 2 twin pot calipers on el gt up rights, and au te50 calipers and vn ss group a caliper , and I think corvette calipers
Calipers are cheap , brake pads are cheap . It's getting the uprights modified and buying the rotors which is expensive .

hang on if someone had a set of EL gt uprights why would they need to modifie them?
didnt the EL gt have the same offset as the rest of the e series?
as for the disc's surely you can still buy replacement EL gt disc new or after market equivalent?

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:

hang on if someone had a set of EL gt uprights why would they need to modifie them?
didnt the EL gt have the same offset as the rest of the e series?
as for the disc's surely you can still buy replacement EL gt disc new or after market equivalent?

I mean getting standard uprights modified to fit a twin pot caliper .
And you can buy a el gt rotor from DBA or race brakes Sydney but they are $300ea

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

Hahaha johno we're talking about modifying standard el upright arms to be able to fit different calipers on man.

Corey what's a set of rotors worth? And you don't have to change the rears do ya?

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Sorry corey phones taking too long to load your answer bet mine lmaoo

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Nah leave rears , it's the front that do all the work , American spares had el gt rotors listed for $175 ea but I rang them up and they no longer stock them, could of had big brakes for under $700 I reckon

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

wild-el wrote:
Hahaha johno we're talking about modifying standard el upright arms to be able to fit different calipers on man.

Corey what's a set of rotors worth? And you don't have to change the rears do ya?

haha lost me there lol

instaed of have the std ones moded what about haveing a bracket made to take different calipers (say AU twins) then wouldnt that be cheaper and easier?

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well that's what we are talking about, modifying the STD arms with some brackets to fit after market bigger calipers and rotors. Do you get what I'm saying now?

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

As Daniel is saying you have to machine , cut or grind down the "ears" that the factory calipers sit on so the 330mm rotor will fit on, look at the pic of the uprights again,

I just had a thought , seeing a au, ba rotors and discs ate cheap , what about if I took el uprights to a machine shop and got them to machine the spindle to fit a au2 hub,

I just need a au and el stub axle to get measurements , I know it's been done before in a few brake kits but not sure it it will keep pre au offset ?

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I found on eBay au t series 329 mm rotors for $137 a pair . Now we just need to get them on our stub axles

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Are our stub axles smaller are they?? We'd probably get away with cutting out upright arm and welding our top half onto an Au2 bottom half?

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I wouldn't weld it as its cast iron and wouldn't be very strong lol not to mention if police found it welded or when you get it checked for rego it would fail lol

Out stub axles are bigger afaik so we just need to machine them to fit a au hub, then we can use the te50 330mm rotor and get the pointy things machined down and make an adaptor plate to fit a au2 caliper .

But then I have no idea what the offset would be ?? It would be some where inbetween au and e-series lol

Theres no easy way to get big brakes unfortunately , except a kit but thats not nice to the bank account lol

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
I wouldn't weld it as its cast iron and wouldn't be very strong lol not to mention if police found it welded or when you get it checked for rego it would fail lol

Out stub axles are bigger afaik so we just need to machine them to fit a au hub, then we can use the te50 330mm rotor and get the pointy things machined down and make an adaptor plate to fit a au2 caliper .

But then I have no idea what the offset would be ?? It would be some where inbetween au and e-series lol

Theres no easy way to get big brakes unfortunately , except a kit but thats not nice to the bank account lol

some guy tryed to make a hybrid e series/auonwards upright on boosted, had problems and the car steered like s**t or something, i read it about a year ago, he payed alot of money to design it and fit it to his car, people donated money, he was going to sell them off as a cheaper race brake option but it failed so the idea got scrapped, i dare say theres a reason no body has machined down an e series hub to fit au gear, but then again if you can get 2 side by side and take some measurements it could be worth a look into.

welding cast for a car part is dodge as. as for a bracket to fit the caliper, they use these on the early commodore brake kits to fit the vt onwards gear, theres a bolt on braket, when i was into the commodores i watched a brake upgrade video on street commodores dvd

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

UPC machine a e-series stub axle to fit there own hub, so it's possible to do the same with au , or any hub as long as its smaller .

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

so let me get this straight.... machine down the stub axle and modify the upright arm to fit au2 breaks or modify the upright arm on its own and run el gt rotors? but in doing one or the other the gt rotors are more expensive?

Sort by  
 Page 33 of 40  [ 588 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next