Fordmods Logo

ED XR6 Wagon 5 Speed Resto (Attempt) 

Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: ED XR6 Wagon 5 Speed Resto (Attempt)
Posted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Nice wagon i never knew they made XR ED wagons till now

Hopefully she shall be nice and resprayed some time :) and restod :)

Posted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:37 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8/ED XR6 Wagon

SA, Australia

oze-ford wrote:
Hey man what wreckers do you go to?

Went to Dry Creek Wreckers in Wingfield, First time going there, decent amount of E series there, most in poor condition but there are a lot of good panels and parts still there. My uncle has told me the ford wrecker in Salisbury is good for everything and the prices are sweet but the word shady comes to mind? No idea what he means since I haven't dealt with him myself.

Oh pics. Was dark and raining but I found an SD card and braved the weather for you all. Enjoy. Will get some better pics at some time..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Tue May 14, 2013 7:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Boxcar Wagons Rule!

Nice pick up mate.

Hopefully you will be able to fix up the body and keep another one on the road.

Then you can start modding it.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Nicko93 wrote:
oze-ford wrote:
Hey man what wreckers do you go to?

Went to Dry Creek Wreckers in Wingfield, First time going there, decent amount of E series there, most in poor condition but there are a lot of good panels and parts still there. My uncle has told me the ford wrecker in Salisbury is good for everything and the prices are sweet but the word shady comes to mind? No idea what he means since I haven't dealt with him myself.

Oh pics. Was dark and raining but I found an SD card and braved the weather for you all. Enjoy. Will get some better pics at some time..

Regarding the wreckers

The dry creek one is a more tell them what you like

Regarding salisbury ya they are shady as hell offered to dispose of my EF for me haha

But they have changed now and walking in to it is like walking into a clean cafe no dust no dirt etc sit down and tell them what you like to posh for us E series owners

Then you got the actual falcon spare joint not naming names owned by a single man who is a loser and sold me a AU motor which leaked more oil then it burnt fuel and just didn't seem to have any compression

He couldn't even fit a 2.5" tail pipe to a 2.25" stock system centre dumb!!!

Then there is anther actual good ford joint but way to posh for us E series people but they have almost anything and everything in ghia/XR parts you could want and are australian workers a forum member works there and owns a wagon but i haven't had the balls to say im from fordmods like him

I sadly know of most of the wreckers in S.A almost so ask away if needed :)

p.s sorry for hi jacking the thread maybe i should make a sticky haha

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
He couldn't even fit a 2.5" tail pipe to a 2.25" stock system centre dumb!!!

Then there is anther actual good ford joint but way to posh for us E series people but they have almost anything and everything in ghia/XR parts you could want and are australian workers a forum member works there and owns a wagon but i haven't had the balls to say im from fordmods like him

I sadly know of most of the wreckers in S.A almost so ask away if needed :)

p.s sorry for hi jacking the thread maybe i should make a sticky haha

Haha all good man. That's very helpful for future visits. Where's the too posh ford place?

Update on progress. - Dry Consumables purchased for sanding. Trade School gave away old stock, picked up some primer for free (Like 1.5L of 1k HOW GOOD IS THAT) Work bench set up and ready to go. Soon it shall start. (hopefully..)

Posted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

grand junction road athol park near your tafe lol and the one in salisbury

Nice nice but are you going to respray the wagon in 2pac or single 1k ?

Posted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:33 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

EF_wanabe wrote:
Nice nice but are you going to respray the wagon in 2pac or single 1k ?

To be honest I'm not realllllly sure at this point. Will most likely be using spies hecker waterbourne as I'm used to it and can get it at a decent price. Respray of the roof, bonnet, tailgate and rear quarters and maybe blend the doors at this stage. Eventually I will redo the interior and strip the rear as there is a tiny bit of surface rust around the spare wheel well etc. Won't be doing the spraying at home, don't have a suitable area and to be honest I'm not a huge fan of anyone who thinks it's a good idea to spray 2 pac paints in their backyard in open air. Will hire a booth or something hopefully somewhere. May even wet on wet primer the roof when I'm painting it for peace of mind.

So probably yeah 2k over 1k, Carefully though haha, if I can find some money I'll invest in 2k primer/filler and save some possible headaches

Posted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Update on progress. Materials have been acquired to start preperation. Spray Booth has been found for painting. Rego papers/inspection papers filled out and will get inspected hopefully in a week or two if I can get time off work.

Gave the bonnet a quick rub with P800 to see how it's holding up, paint came off way to easy. Tried on the headlight surround and went right through to some sort of primer or filler. Interesting stuff. Looks like all the clear and most of the basecoat will come straight off, this is both a good and bad thing.

Oil is leaking from somewhere, pretty sure it's the cap and was overfilled before as I have traced it back to the cap itself, go figure. Not sure what kind of exhaust it's got but after revving it up a tad I've realised that it's LOUD like almost annoyingly loud. Not sure if it will pass inspection but we shall seeeee

Posted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Nicko93 wrote:
Gave the bonnet a quick rub with P800 to see how it's holding up, paint came off way to easy. Tried on the headlight surround and went right through to some sort of primer or filler. Interesting stuff. Looks like all the clear and most of the basecoat will come straight off, this is both a good and bad thing.
Sounds not good - if the colour come off that easy. When I did my bonnet with P240, the colour held up quite well, fair sanding needed to reach undercoats - especially considering the clearcoat had long gone.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Sounds not good - if the colour come off that easy. When I did my bonnet with P240, the colour held up quite well, fair sanding needed to reach undercoats - especially considering the clearcoat had long gone.

Interesting. I'm thinking the quality of paint ford were using in 1993 was not the best. I've seen a lot of green ED's with s**t paint/clear going around. I think it's the clear that's the problem.

Also, Car is now registered in SA. yesssssssss

Posted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:10 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I think this is the case - I think Ford were already using 2k for a few years by the time 1993 come along.
The clear on my roof was deteriorating - came off reasonably easy with 80 grit, very crumbly.

Although I've seen a fair few japanese cars only a few years old with the clear deteriorating - not enough UV protection I suppose.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:53 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Some of the jap cars I've worked on have shocking clear coats. Not even 5 year old bumper bars are cracking back down to the plastic. I had the misfortune of working on a Great Wall, those cars are the biggest piece of dog S*** I've ever seen.

Not 100% sure when I'll start on the wagon, Since it's registered I'm going to zoom around in it for s**t and gigs, the exhaust note is stupidly fun.

I'm also looking at getting new interior parts, such as the missing tailgate trim and to refresh the warn out door handles. I had a pretty good look around the inside and it's actually near mint for the majority of the carpet and trims. Some sort of custom sound system will be on the cards, Oh I found a 10 stacker CD player under the passenger seat. This car just keeps on giving!

Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:15 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Haven't had too much going on. Been busy with work and the like also I've been having way to much fun driving it around to work on it 8-)

Bascially this is what I'm hoping to do.

Rust removal, close door respray
Fix interior trims and decent sound system upgrade (already have amp sub and headunit ready to go)
Suspension lowered and upgrade brakes
14' Aunger Hotwires or some old school mags. (it should kinda work with the car?)
Venetians, if I can score some for under the crazy retail prices they go for
Fix/replace exhaust while still retaining the sweet note
Possible engine rebuild or refresh
Fix all the niggly things like the fuel issue, headlights, dashmat, rear window trim that leaks water into the sills, drivers seat retrimmed, get rid of that un holy skull shifter, EB GT steering wheel and yeah.

I've had a month to think about it and that's where I'm heading, nothing too special or out there just a few tweaks to hopefully bring it out.

Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:49 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Nicko93 wrote:
rear window trim that leaks water into the sills
Pretty rare to see an E series wagon that hasn't got rust in the dog leg in front of the rear wheels. AU/B series wagons went to a flush mount quarter window - no rust.
The weatherstrip foam rings disintegrate, so water runs down those trim fasteners pretty easily.
I have made inner tube ring seals, but I think waterproof foam might compress and seal better.

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Pretty rare to see an E series wagon that hasn't got rust in the dog leg in front of the rear wheels. AU/B series wagons went to a flush mount quarter window - no rust.
The weatherstrip foam rings disintegrate, so water runs down those trim fasteners pretty easily.
I have made inner tube ring seals, but I think waterproof foam might compress and seal better.

I was thinking waterproof foam, Mine's got a little bit of rust around the dog leg but on the surface it doesn't look THAT bad, could be a s***storm though lurking beneath.

Here's a good qualityish picture of the wagon

Attachment:
xr6.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next