Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: Far to many cars
Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Gotta love cars and the curve balls they throw ya from time to time :lol:

Just checked those items you had on TM.. those ROH RT's are a very nice looking wheel, wish I had the money to take them off your hands lol.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:36 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Power: 120 rwkw

New Zealand

KWIKXR wrote:
Gotta love cars and the curve balls they throw ya from time to time :lol:

Just checked those items you had on TM.. those ROH RT's are a very nice looking wheel, wish I had the money to take them off your hands lol.

lol, don't let that stop you Nath, I can put it through paypal so you can pay with your credit card :wink:

Troy wrote:
so about another month.
is the trans prob with the v8?

Yip its the V8 that's testing my patience.

Post subject: EF Fairmont V8 - eating transmissions
Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:03 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Pulled down the auto for the second time and it's stripped all the lining off the C4 clutch pack again. Which points towards a fault with the S1 solenoid. I think the solenoid might be stuck "on" which stops the oil flow to the c4 cutch pack. The C4 clutch pack is an Overrun clutch . . . primary function is to provide engine braking in manual 1st, 2nd and 3rd. In 2nd and 3rd gears to prevent objectionable ‘freewheel coasting’.

We checked and cleaned the original valve body pretty carefully before reassembling the trans the first time and the solenoid was within the allowable resistance range when checked with a multimeter.

Before I pulled the trans out for the second time I tried a AU valve body and the car did drive better but I suspect the C4 clutch packs were already toasted by that stage.

I'm trying to work out if this is a physical problem with the S1 solenoid or is it to do with transmission control from the ECU? Or did I f**k up installing the wave washer in the clutch pack?

Does any one know what voltage the solenoids are so i can test them or are any auto trans experts watching???

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Hope to have the auto back in the V8 early to mid next week. Just have to wait for all the new parts to arrive so it can be reassembled.

I bought a digital fault code reader off Muzza and that should arrive early next week too.

Looking forward to having this car back on the road; it's been a glorified paper weight for a little bit to long and I'm sick of not having a car I can actually drive.

Had a look at the Green XE Turbo the other day and saw my brother has fitted a new alloy radiator and it looks like its actually left the garage for the first time in about a year.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:58 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Well back in Vancouver now.

Never did get the the V8 Fairmont going again before I left. Once the big quake hit a few essential parts ended up being stuck in town after the city centre was cordoned off. Got them all back now but didn't have the motivation to f**k round with the car.

I did manage to bolt up the ELGT extrators to the car so that was a bonus.

The 3.45 LSD diff from the XR6 is going in for a bit of a freshen up before being fitted too. The local ford dealership totally balls up my order for the speedo drive to suit the 16" wheels and 3.45 diff ratio so didn't get that before I left. The V8 will remain an on going project...

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:39 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Ash wrote:
Bit of a bugger you ran out of time. But you'll have to put up your new bed on wheels if you get one. You still on the hunt?

Yeah, just about to start for the hunt for the campervan, will get some quotes for insurance and other related costs over the next couple of days. I haven't even stepped inside one yet so I'm not sure what to look for. The camper in the link below is still the main contender; I want one with the 5.4L V8 rather than the bigger V10 engine.

http://www.cruisecanada.com/buy/modelDe ... odelNo=23A

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

I know the price is quite good. A similar sized unit in NZ was about $65k NZD. However most of the campers in NZ and Oz are built off Japanese 3-4 tonne truck and cab chassis with diesel engines so they are quite good on fuel.

We don't know what to expect with regards to fuel consumption from a lazy 5.4L V8 with a giant brick on the back; could range from 18.1L/100km to 33.6L/100km.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I drove something like that around the US for a few weeks. It was a supercharged V10 Chev. It went well when you put the foot down, but after the first gas stop I realised that you pay for putting your foot down ;)

Once out on the open roads, it did good speeds with reasonable economy.. cruised through Nevada at 80-85mph :)

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

do they come with the powerstroke to?

Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:04 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Troy wrote:
do they come with the powerstroke to?

I haven't seen one yet. You can get Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter based diesel campers but they are out of my price range.

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:39 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Been doing a lot of looking at motor homes. Still haven't found the one I want to buy yet here's a few of the contenders:

This '02 unit is the 6.8 L V10 and should be a 4 speed auto. Its sporting a fuel economy of about 9 mpg. It's the layout and size (24ft) i want and it ticks all the boxes but a dealer has it and want's about $5k CAD more than I want to pay for it. I does have an on-board generator and LPG oven which are on my must have list.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:50 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

This '01 unit is also a 6.8L V10 but only 22ft. It still only did about 9 mpg. A bonus of this one is it had a slide out for the dinette but the layout may not suit our needs. It's 10k cheaper that the unit above.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

Heres's a couple of units I looked at but had to reject to do their condition.

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

This puppy was interesting. a '94 with a 460ci V8 and 3 speed auto. Capable of an impressive 5 -7 mpg It was really cheap but need a full set of tires, a new exhaust, new mattresses and an owner that had shares in an oil refinery.

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:33 am 
Tyre Shredder

New Zealand

We decided that maybe we should look at smaller more fuel efficient units. I stumbled across this van conversion. Being a Mercedes Sprinter van it's good for about 20mpg. The missus liked the size as it would be easy to park. They wanted 39K for it so it was at the very upper limits of my budget. But it was 10k cheaper than the next cheapest Sprinter van converson.

It still had pretty much every in it but it was just a lot smaller, The dinette / couch in the back of the van folded down into the bed. It wasn't exactly what we wanted but we could make do and I could live with the fact I couldn't actually stand up fully in the back of it.

It was all looking good, looked tidy enough and everything worked; but then I went to pop the bonnet and saw the rust at the bottom of the windscreen. Rust bubbles along the entire length of of the windscreen. It would need the screen out and proper repair. I could have run the risk that I could hide the rust with a bit of bog but if I ever had to replace the windscreen the rust would need to be fixed properly before the windscreen could go in. A risk you can't afford to take on the road in-case it happens in a hicksville town miles from anywhere. Dam shame.

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 7  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next