Fordmods Logo

kenay's Fairmont Ghia *New Motor + pics of custom seats pg25 

Page 24 of 35 [ 512 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 35  Next

Post subject: Re: kenay's Nightmare For your own sake please READ
Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

who built the motor?

time for a exchange one and start over..or do that v8 conversion as u were planning?

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

You might have read the book but you failed to interpret it, as the fundamental mistakes you have made, a first year apprentice would not make.
How do you honestly think a high lift cam would work when you have fitted softer than the standard valve springs that require at least 450 lbs break torque, the ones you fitted were under 10lbs due to the fact you failed to refit the second stage spring and the loading shims, did you even measure deck heights, crush limits and spring load heights and limits then calculate the shimming required so as to match each valve? Or as I suspect I have lost you already as you do not have a clue what I am talking about and you probably don't have the thousands of dollars worth of equipment required to do the job properly. No professional engine builder would ever forget these components or make these mistakes, what did you do when you finished the job and looked on the bench to find these extra bits sitting there did this not ring alarm bells to you. I am very sorry but its people like you with that poor attitude that give real mechanics bad names if you had any decency and cared at all for your fellow club members you would cease from ripping people off and putting peoples lives in danger.

You might think you have your pride at stake, Adrian, however please put that aside and have respect for the safety of all those people you have EVER done car modifications for. Do you really want to put their lives at risk for the sake of your dignity?

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Do your best to make me look bad, I don't mind, nor do I care. :D I'm sure I did the right thing as best as possible, so my conscience is clear.
I'm a bit troubled he's blaming you for everything, but he's not told us what has happened to that engine during the time he got it to now - i.e. maintenance, treatment, use etc.
For example, Maybe there's been a faulty component, and continued driving has made the condition worse, etc.
Bit hard for a thread reader to make a judgement when the full story is not known, particularly with he said, she said, etc.

I'd be getting an engine reco place to make assessment, before posting conclusions here.
And of course post pics.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Do your best to make me look bad, I don't mind, nor do I care. :D I'm sure I did the right thing as best as possible, so my conscience is clear.
I'm a bit troubled he's blaming you for everything, but he's not told us what has happened to that engine during the time he got it to now - i.e. maintenance, treatment, use etc.
For example, Maybe there's been a faulty component, and continued driving has made the condition worse, etc.
Bit hard for a thread reader to make a judgement when the full story is not known.

I'd be getting an engine reco place to make assessment, before posting conclusions here.
And of course post pics.

yeah no need for engine builders when clearly have a very skilled mechanic doing all the work for me

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Kenay wrote:
You might have read the book but you failed to interpret it, as the fundamental mistakes you have made, a first year apprentice would not make.
How do you honestly think a high lift cam would work when you have fitted softer than the standard valve springs that require at least 450 lbs break torque, the ones you fitted were under 10lbs due to the fact you failed to refit the second stage spring and the loading shims, did you even measure deck heights, crush limits and spring load heights and limits then calculate the shimming required so as to match each valve? Or as I suspect I have lost you already as you do not have a clue what I am talking about and you probably don't have the thousands of dollars worth of equipment required to do the job properly. No professional engine builder would ever forget these components or make these mistakes, what did you do when you finished the job and looked on the bench to find these extra bits sitting there did this not ring alarm bells to you. I am very sorry but its people like you with that poor attitude that give real mechanics bad names if you had any decency and cared at all for your fellow club members you would cease from ripping people off and putting peoples lives in danger.

You might think you have your pride at stake, Adrian, however please put that aside and have respect for the safety of all those people you have EVER done car modifications for. Do you really want to put their lives at risk for the sake of your dignity?

I beg to differ. I have listened and gotten the help from members off this forum, especially off Adrian. For a first time attempt at doing a head gasket at time, running full throttle after a disastrous coolant dump on the track and giving it stick when I felt appropriate, the engine is still running today after 3 years. So the information that was given to me and the help I had gotten was by no means farce.

As mentioned by snap0964...we don't know the treatment of the engine post sale. From what I remember, pre-sale the car was still running strong.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:
Kenay wrote:

I beg to differ. I have listened and gotten the help from members off this forum, especially off Adrian. For a first time attempt at doing a head gasket at time, running full throttle after a disastrous coolant dump on the track and giving it stick when I felt appropriate, the engine is still running today after 3 years. So the information that was given to me and the help I had gotten was by no means farce.

As mentioned by snap0964...we don't know the treatment of the engine post sale. From what I remember, pre-sale the car was still running strong.

ok im just going to point it out with instructions kara could do a headgasket change and have it outlive the life of the car..
but was your saying is you actually believe 12 springs can just disappear? as for maintenance ive only just done its first service because its been 12 months but only 8,000klm

there have been a select few times Ive actually revved the engine to 5k but the noise was frighting

im just uploading some videos i took with my mechanic today to show the damage to the guides and how small force on the valve springs can make them compress

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

video's are uploaded there are 3, 2 of them show valve movement and the other shows my mechanic
compressing the spring with his bare hand(thats right just one)
LINK TO ALBUM

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 1993 Ford Fairlane

VIC, Australia

since the other thread is locked :D

Kenay wrote:
cjh wrote:
How do you have 17 years of experience at the said age of 21....?????...... :| .....and some engineering tickets too....... :?

well my name would be kent so why would i say im helping myself?

in an attempt to make people believe your story more perhaps, just a thought though.
you could spend all this time that your spending pointing fingers on fixing the engine instead, just another thought. I wish i had your passion, but i wouldnt put it into playing the "blame game"

1993 NCII Fairlane
Mods to come:
V8 - SLs - exhaust - DC LTD leather - LTD grill and garnish - LTD wood grain - body colour trim - wheels - tinted windows

1991 NCI Fairlane
Mods to come:
4.0L - lows - exhaust - NCII seats - NCII door trims - LTD grill - body colour trim - wheels - window tint

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

See, this is why I lol'd.

No home mechanic has the kind of equipment you are talking about (been googling a little have you) in their garage at their disposal.

You know the cam was a JMM Dev 5 cam. They dont work with factory springs, as the lift is too high and they bind.

So I sourced the same springs that RPD used with all their cams. Which are a Crane double V8 spring (cant remember the part number now, and I only recently threw out the box and the original springs from that engine) and you are required to remove the centre spring as the pressure is too high. Coincidentally, these are the same springs Mr Mock uses when selling these cams. In this case I trusted the people that had used these before and followed their direction.

The Crane spring is taller and thinner than the factory spring, so required no extra shimming to load it. And it did not bind at full lift... I know, I checked. You will note that factory springs aren't double springs, they are a single spring with a small dampner on the inside that does nothing. There is a hardened spring seat shim to protect the head, but none on the top. They just rest on the retainer.

A number of shims were added to each rocker depending on what was required upon measuring the base circle clearance. I used the shims provided by JMM and RPD (I had plenty left over from a previous cam) as they gave me a collection of 0.8 and 1.0mm thickness', to get the clearance between .4mm and 1.1mm... I usually aim for .8mm clearance. I certainly did not use bits and pieces of a chopped up f**k aluminium can.

Cam timing was then set on the cam gear to 0.05" (or 1.27mm) lift at TDC as dictated by JMM. I checked to make sure piston did not meet valve. But since the head was virginal (yes, I do know that cause a mate reco'd the head for me) and was only shaved the once, i had no doubts it would be OK.

This is not some magic custom grind. Its an off the shelf cam that takes standard parts, and just works.

So tell me where I went wrong???

Is it possible I was sold the wrong springs... Yes... It is possible they have gone soft for some reason... Yes...

You have neglected to mention it has been 2 years since that engine was put together, not yesterday. Drove perfectly fine for me before I sold it.

Right now, I'm completely perplexed how you are lecturing me on how to do these things... When I remember a cam change saga on a certain EF SVO that after 2 days you couldnt do, and I was asked to intervene... Which I wisely declined to. Never once did I say I was a professional engine builder, thats your words... You know everything down to a detail I did to that car before I sold it, so you had your opportunity to talk about then, not near 2 years down the track.

snap0964 wrote:
arm79 wrote:

I don't mind he's blaming me for everything, as its par for course so far. To my face Kenay has always been nice as pie, car is fantasic... But I know behind my back to other ears its a completely different story... Ripping shreds off me, I know most of the stories. So thats what I've come to expect.

In fact, this is the first time he's commented to my face (or publicly as it were) there is a problem. He may say he's treated the car like gold, but to my understanding from other sources, its been treated like s**t. Revved hard and given a hard time... Which really shouldnt be a problem. But I know when we are on a cruise and he's attempting to keep up with my car from a set of lights, its not being treated nicely.

My thoughts is that the engine hes been redlined so often that the cam gear has possibly moved and things have hit.

You might disagree and have problems with that. Fair enough. But the car as been in your possession for on 18 months now, anything could have happened.

Well, thatas the story, take from it what you will. And good luck with the fix.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

dylby1 wrote:
since the other thread is locked :D

Kenay wrote:
cjh wrote:
How do you have 17 years of experience at the said age of 21....?????...... :| .....and some engineering tickets too....... :?

well my name would be kent so why would i say im helping myself?

in an attempt to make people believe your story more perhaps, just a thought though.
you could spend all this time that your spending pointing fingers on fixing the engine instead, just another thought. I wish i had your passion, but i wouldnt put it into playing the "blame game"

engine wont be fixed for some time because i cant afford it after all christmas has only just passed
what my mechanic said was aimed at every backyard mechanic because i now have to once again spend my hjard hard earned to fix s**t that i havnt even touched if i hadnt been lol'd at i we would have just left that comment

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:16 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Kenay wrote:
if i hadnt been lol'd at i we would have just left that comment

No it wouldn't... I know you were fishing, so I thought I'd make it easy for you and bite.

If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have been trying to chase me on my phone yesterday.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Adrian,
as stated many times now my mechanic has replied to this thread and im only going off what he has said i shall get him to contact you tomorrow but i can definitely tell you they are not a double spring and this problem has been mentioned since i brought the car with your only reply being that it is the chain rubbing "It's what all dev 5 cam do"

go ahead make your post's sound logical and turn a swarm of other backyard mechanics against me just because you have your spelling and grammer down to a tee for once can't you just admit that you may have made a mistake rather than loling at me to try and save your pride

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
Kenay wrote:

No it wouldn't... I know you were fishing, so I thought I'd make it easy for you and bite.

If it didn't bother you, you wouldn't have been trying to chase me on my phone yesterday.

Well until your last post i've still been waiting on a call to find out exactly what cam was installed but i now know don't I

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:42 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Kenay wrote:
Adrian,
as stated many times now my mechanic has replied to this thread and im only going off what he has said i shall get him to contact you tomorrow but i can definitely tell you they are not a double spring and this problem has been mentioned since i brought the car with your only reply being that it is the chain rubbing "It's what all dev 5 cam do"

go ahead make your post's sound logical and turn a swarm of other backyard mechanics against me just because you have your spelling and grammer down to a tee for once can't you just admit that you may have made a mistake rather than loling at me to try and save your pride

Well... Your mechanic has made certain accusations that were untrue.

I was simply refuting them. Because you wanted to know how things were done, so I spelled them out for you. I would have thought logic and clear dictation was essential.

As I said, the springs were part of a double, but the centre spring is removed before installation.

Feel free to sit there and cry. I'm not trying to turn anyone against you. Just putting out my side so others can form their opinions. You've seen fit to attack me, with everyone knowing who was the previous owner of the car... Spelling and grammar, please. WTF has that got to do with this?

If I've made a mistake, then I'll cop to it. I've made plenty of mistakes before learning how to do things and i've copped to them. I'm just waiting for you to tell me what mistake I've made, as so far I'm just a C**k backyard know nothing f**k pretend mechanic.

Whom should I be possibly expecting a call from tomorrow?

Kenay wrote:
arm79 wrote:
Kenay wrote:

Well until your last post i've still been waiting on a call to find out exactly what cam was installed but i now know don't I

Well, going by your above post, you already knew it was a Dev 5. As you have always known.

And I personally don't know of any Dev 5 cams that don't make some sort of chain rattle. They are a high lift/high ramp cam that put excessive stresses on the chain and tensioner. I know of 3 others that had been through my garage (2 of them that I had NO part of their installation) that all had chain noise of some sort. Do a search on here looking for posts about curing chain noise on a Dev 5. It's a fairly common problem.

Until then, I have a cold to get rid of, so I'm off to bed.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:45 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Kenay wrote:
yeah no need for engine builders when clearly have a very skilled mechanic doing all the work for me
He's a mate ?? No disrespect to your mechanic and his skills and education levels, but as an outsider reading this, I'd like to see an independent assessment before assigning blame.
arm79 wrote:
And if you'd like, I can provide a a step by step list of work that was performed when that cam was put in.
So why haven't you taken Adrian up on this ??
EDIT: I see Adrian has done that for you - you should've hit him up first.
Kenay wrote:
ok im just going to point it out with instructions kara could do a headgasket change and have it outlive the life of the car..but was your saying is you actually believe 12 springs can just disappear? as for maintenance ive only just done its first service because its been 12 months but only 8,000klm there have been a select few times Ive actually revved the engine to 5k but the noise was frighting
You've run with the ticking issue without fix for 5 mths ???
You need to give us a bit more respect in your replies - we haven't treated you like a twit, so why try it on us ?? We're simply asking questions.
Kenay wrote:
So we're all 'backyard mechanics' ?
I'm not against you - I'm simply an outsider reading this thread.
You've locked and loaded on Adrian, without any reasonable evidence - we've had to prompt you for that, and for you to fill in the dots for us, to get some understanding on this issue.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 24 of 35  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 35  Next