Fordmods Logo

kenay's Fairmont Ghia *New Motor + pics of custom seats pg25 

Page 25 of 35 [ 512 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next

Post subject: Re: kenay's Nightmare For your own sake please READ
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: BA MKII Fairlane GHIA

VIC, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
Kenay wrote:
yeah no need for engine builders when clearly have a very skilled mechanic doing all the work for me
He's a mate ?? No disrespect to your mechanic and his skills and education levels, but as an outsider reading this, I'd like to see an independent assessment before assigning blame.
arm79 wrote:
And if you'd like, I can provide a a step by step list of work that was performed when that cam was put in.
So why haven't you taken Adrian up on this ??
EDIT: I see Adrian has done that for you - you should've hit him up first.
Kenay wrote:
ok im just going to point it out with instructions kara could do a headgasket change and have it outlive the life of the car..but was your saying is you actually believe 12 springs can just disappear? as for maintenance ive only just done its first service because its been 12 months but only 8,000klm there have been a select few times Ive actually revved the engine to 5k but the noise was frighting
You've run with the ticking issue without fix for 5 mths ???
You need to give us a bit more respect in your replies - we haven't treated you like a twit, so why try it on us ?? We're simply asking questions.
Kenay wrote:
go ahead make your post's sound logical and turn a swarm of other backyard mechanics against me just because you have your spelling and grammer down to a tee for once can't you just admit that you may have made a mistake rather than loling at me to try and save your pride
So we're all 'backyard mechanics' ?
I'm not against you - I'm simply an outsider reading this thread.
You've locked and loaded on Adrian, without any reasonable evidence - we've had to prompt you for that, and for you to fill in the dots for us, to get some understanding on this issue.

snap as adrian said i did try to call i then waited till this morning and made a post about what i had found the at whatever time it was tonight my mechanic had enough waiting and mage a post..
adrian you had told me 18 months ago what the cam was but i needed to clarify other things such as the lack of spring strength

the ticking issue did go away i had actually forgotten i tried changing oil and running lifter free up what i didnt mention was after 20 mins of driving the noise was back ive lived with it until now becuase no other mechanic was able to find the problem

btw personal attacks can be avoided from here on now that i have the information i wanted in the first place i will proceed to find the cause to the springs being faulty as this has always been the problem

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Well we'd all like to see you get it sorted, but in the correct manner.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

unfortunatly with high lift, high performance cams there is always going to be extra load on the valve train..
ive seen these h/d valve springs loose spring tension and break...
imo once you start using high performance parts the reliability goes out the window.

watching your vid clips.
the valve moving in the guide is just wear and tear, another down fall with high lift cams, especially if its been reved, as you would do with that kind of cam.. i know i would!
but without knowing what or if anything has been done to the head before the cam and springs as in recondition, type of valve guides ect..we can only speculate.
otherwise you would expect that kind of valve guide wear for an engine with a big cam,that i would assume has a couple of hundred thousand kms??

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
unfortunatly with high lift, high performance cams there is always going to be extra load on the valve train..
ive seen these h/d valve springs loose spring tension and break...
imo once you start using high performance parts the reliability goes out the window.

watching your vid clips.
the valve moving in the guide is just wear and tear, another down fall with high lift cams, especially if its been reved, as you would do with that kind of cam.. i know i would!
but without knowing what or if anything has been done to the head before the cam and springs as in recondition, type of valve guides ect..we can only speculate.
otherwise you would expect that kind of valve guide wear for an engine with a big cam,that i would assume has a couple of hundred thousand kms??

this motor would only have 20-30,000 klms
this is not wear and tear this is excessive movement the motor didnt even hold compression the cups of the valves are all uneven and burned due to not fully closing
not every spring has a bottom plate that protects the head...

im in some confusion atm with head bolts is there ment to be a washer so it doesn't bight into the aly

Post subject: Re: kenay's fairmont Ghia *new Update*
Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:37 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ed

VIC, Australia

Kenay wrote:
hi guys not much has been happening with the car ,
the rear seats are being built atm and thats about it.
previosly in this thread i had been asking about the ticking of the motor everyone sugested that it is the chain.. well i found that 2 of the lifters had collapsed, so i repplaced them and 5 mins later the ticking was back,
for the last 5 months its just been an anoyying tick and ive never been able to take it past 4k rpm due to the sound of airhacksaws going down the car, but all of a sudden the dreadful noise started making it way down the rev range to the point that i was shifting into 5th gear @ 60 klm..

So last night i decided it was time to have another look at the lifters, out they came all 12 where collapsed i found this extremly weird, another look at the motor showed all 12 valve stem seals where crushed *WTF*, at this time my mate was helping me to find the problem as he was looking around i noticed he had his hand resting on the valve assemble , but some how the spring was being compressed by his weight(yes thats right *insert fustration here*) ok so i thought the springs where heavy duty nope in fact they are the standard out spring and have had the inner spring removed..

so where does this leave me .
1. the cam is f**k from all the chattering
2. the rocker assembly is cracked
3. the roller's have massive pepering through them aswell as huge chuncks been taken out from the chattering
4. 8 valves are bent
5. need new springs
6. need a new head or find someone to fix the valve seating and guide channels

needless to say im f**k p****d off at the stupidity of some people not using there brains this is a major mechanical component in a motor and can not be breezed by.

well more updates and pics tonight as i will be pulling the head out and inspecting the piston heads
just to add all chambers except for 5th is full of oil

kenay u cant really have a go at anyone.

you have waited 12months to change the oil
you drove with a tick for 5 months
the car is 15 years old. with 15 year old reco'ed parts.

whenever you buy a car off anyone u buy wat u buy. if u buy a dud then thats what you get.

ide be thinking a lack of maintanice would be a bigger issue.

for example the new motor in my car has done round 60,000km since my mechanic (with over 35 years of experiance) rebuilt it. now i treat my car hard BUT i jusp on any issues asap. not 5 MONTHS later. i change the oil and filter at 5000km even if its only been a month or 2.

calm down kenay.

how bout spending more time getting cruises happening reather than saying that u were ripped off.

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.
soon to get: AU diff, upc 330mm brakes, Vapor LPG injection.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:37 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

no washers are used under the head bolts...

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU2 Ute

VIC, Australia

Valve springs wear out too.

Change the head in an afternoon or the motor over a weekend and get on with life.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ausedwagon wrote:
Kenay wrote:
hi guys not much has been happening with the car ,
the rear seats are being built atm and thats about it.
previosly in this thread i had been asking about the ticking of the motor everyone sugested that it is the chain.. well i found that 2 of the lifters had collapsed, so i repplaced them and 5 mins later the ticking was back,
for the last 5 months its just been an anoyying tick and ive never been able to take it past 4k rpm due to the sound of airhacksaws going down the car, but all of a sudden the dreadful noise started making it way down the rev range to the point that i was shifting into 5th gear @ 60 klm..

So last night i decided it was time to have another look at the lifters, out they came all 12 where collapsed i found this extremly weird, another look at the motor showed all 12 valve stem seals where crushed *WTF*, at this time my mate was helping me to find the problem as he was looking around i noticed he had his hand resting on the valve assemble , but some how the spring was being compressed by his weight(yes thats right *insert fustration here*) ok so i thought the springs where heavy duty nope in fact they are the standard out spring and have had the inner spring removed..

so where does this leave me .
1. the cam is f**k from all the chattering
2. the rocker assembly is cracked
3. the roller's have massive pepering through them aswell as huge chuncks been taken out from the chattering
4. 8 valves are bent
5. need new springs
6. need a new head or find someone to fix the valve seating and guide channels

needless to say im f**k p****d off at the stupidity of some people not using there brains this is a major mechanical component in a motor and can not be breezed by.

well more updates and pics tonight as i will be pulling the head out and inspecting the piston heads
just to add all chambers except for 5th is full of oil

kenay u cant really have a go at anyone.

you have waited 12months to change the oil
you drove with a tick for 5 months
the car is 15 years old. with 15 year old reco'ed parts.

whenever you buy a car off anyone u buy wat u buy. if u buy a dud then thats what you get.

ide be thinking a lack of maintanice would be a bigger issue.

for example the new motor in my car has done round 60,000km since my mechanic (with over 35 years of experiance) rebuilt it. now i treat my car hard BUT i jusp on any issues asap. not 5 MONTHS later. i change the oil and filter at 5000km even if its only been a month or 2.

calm down kenay.

how bout spending more time getting cruises happening reather than saying that u were ripped off.

i took five months to find the problem i don't understand what you are trying to get at

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:49 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

VIC, Australia

Quote:
i took five months to find the problem i don't understand what you are trying to get at

u said u changed 2 lifters and the noise was back. at that point u take it to someone who knows something not just drive it.

and you cant honestly say that u think changing your oil every 12months is ok..... even if its only 8000km

94 White ED Wagon
eaton M112 supercharger, lowered a tad, extractors, 2.5" exhaust, T5 , custom SureCam supercharger cam, 3.45 lokka, 2 piece tailshaft, poyair bags in the back, TSS front Skirt, Sprint skirts, XR wagon spoiler.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ausedwagon wrote:
Quote:

u said u changed 2 lifters and the noise was back. at that point u take it to someone who knows something not just drive it.

and you cant honestly say that u think changing your oil every 12months is ok..... even if its only 8000km

changed 1 lifter which was done by a mechanic at the same time he sent the remaining 11 off to an egnine builder and had the seals replaced ..
might i add in the 18 months i have owned this car it has been to 10 different mechanic's

and yes i can honestly say that about the oil in my engine under the circumstances

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:
See, this is why I lol'd.

No home mechanic has the kind of equipment you are talking about (been googling a little have you) in their garage at their disposal.

this has proved my mechanic's point if you didnt have the equiptment you had no way of taking the correct measurments

at the end of the day the springs that are in it are incorrect and you have said you have taken advise, but somewhere you have misheard information or interpreted it incorrectly, there is no reputable company such as Crane, RPD or JMM that would have advised you do the install exactly how you have done it as these company's are proffesionals and would have calculated to the empths degree and somewhere you have changed there instructions

so now the motor is with the race engineer being fixed

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:23 am 
VIC Cruise Moderator

VIC, Australia

no ofence to you mate. my experiance with race mechanics have not been good.

hopefully u get it back and its all good.

94 White ED Wagon

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 92 EB s

NSW, Australia

In any modern car you should really change the oil at max 10,000ks or at max 8 months.
Just cos you are not using the car dosnt mean the oil isn't degrading and loseing its ability to protect the engine.
I do my oil every 5000ks.
If you had performance engine work done to your car and got it back running worse then before you would take it back again and again untill it was fixed. Not drive around for 5 months not revving over 5k because it sounds like airsaws in your engine.
Haha.
All dammage done in my oppinion is you're fault. If you had taken the vehicle back when you noticed the problem and ensured it was rectified im positive all extra work to fix it would have been free of charge.

If you know so much you shoulda done it yourself.

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:04 pm 
VIC Cruise Moderator

VIC, Australia

87SIlude wrote:
In any modern car you should really change the oil at max 10,000ks or at max 8 months.
Just cos you are not using the car dosnt mean the oil isn't degrading and loseing its ability to protect the engine.
I do my oil every 5000ks.
If you had performance engine work done to your car and got it back running worse then before you would take it back again and again untill it was fixed. Not drive around for 5 months not revving over 5k because it sounds like airsaws in your engine.
Haha.
All dammage done in my oppinion is you're fault. If you had taken the vehicle back when you noticed the problem and ensured it was rectified im positive all extra work to fix it would have been free of charge.

+1

94 White ED Wagon

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

87SIlude wrote:

+1

Sort by  
 Page 25 of 35  [ 512 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 35  Next