Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 9 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: My 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Love the polished bits. The rocker cover looks f**k awesome too.

Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

SLO247 wrote:
Love the polished bits. The rocker cover looks f**k awesome too.

Cheers dude, yeah the rocker cover aint too bad i guess, could be a touch darker.

But it might just come off soon, in favour of an AU one i got sitting in the garage lol, will probably get the same candy red with metal flake base treatment with polished stripes and lettering

As for the BBM, not a lot of progress today, got stuck into it for about an hour and cleaned up the ports on the other side. Will finish that tomorrow morning, then get the compressor and air grinder out with some flapper wheels and start attacking the casting marks on the outside

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Finally got the top half of the BBM all polished up with the ports cleaned up a bit and chucked it all back in today. The BBM looks a heap better than it did before, nice and smooth and shiny :mrgreen:

A few pics..
Ports cleaned up a bit..

Polished up..

A before and after of the BBM..

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Okay then. You've got me sold. I'll send you one of the spare BBM's and you can sort it for me...

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
Okay then. You've got me sold. I'll send you one of the spare BBM's and you can sort it for me...

:lol: :lol:

If i had the right kind of tools to do the job properly i might consider it lol. What a job, i dont think i'll ever do it again, took so long to get the first runner anywhere near smooth. Kinda gave up after getting the first 3 smooth, so did a half a** job on the last 3 lol even flapper wheels couldnt get some of the pitting and gouges out of the bloody thing so the last three runner still have quite a bit of pitting still there while the first three arent too bad. Still couldnt get the shine i wanted though.

You still got that BBM which you sanded back then sandblasted?

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

nice work, engine looks mint

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks man, yeah its coming along well. Just need to start working the motor now to make it go as well as it looks :lol:

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

KWIKXR wrote:
:lol: :lol:
You still got that BBM which you sanded back then sandblasted?

Yeah, I hit it with an angle grinder to take some hunks of alloy off that I figured weren't required, then a great big rasp (casting marks were bad) and then started on the sanding and polishing. Got really fed up and sand blasting was the answer.

I put a clear coat over it which makes the whole thing look like primer gray! Ah well, all good, still looks clean all the time, which is better than the bloody originals did!

Damn, would love some stainless extractors and a whole damn exhaust made out of the stuff that's for sure... Ah well... Budgets, being what they are...! Hmmm... I need to get out of this depressed "do nothing apart from waste time" mood and go do something to make some money... Then I wouldn't care about making $100 off the cam, XR6 reg and stuff, and just send the lot to you if you kindly forget your "never again am I polishing a BBM top" comment and do it again...!!

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

True, is it smooth though after the sandblasting or has it brought out even more pitting? If its near smooth it shouldnt be too big a job to polish up. I started at 150 grit dry and went up to 1200 wet then polished it a few times so if its still pretty smooth it should come up good after a few different grades and then some autosol. You really only need to polish the first three runners properly and just do a quick polish on the last three as the BA intake piping hides the rest quite well.

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Fair enough. It isn't really pitted at all after sand blasting... But now it has a layer of clear on it - Well.... Eeek... Anyways, I suppose I could do it myself... Bloody hell...

Posted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I could possibly do it again if the next BBM isnt as bad as this one was. I'd just need a whole lot of time, took me around 5 days work to get it half decent lol. Took up my "week off" pretty well.

If i could get my hands on a good bench grinder and some of those scotchbrite wheels, i might just go get a few BBM plenums from pick a part, polish 'em up and sell 'em off lol..

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

s**t, even though i am an 8 man, those 6's look f**k sexy when they are all cleaned up and shinny like yours, that reddy orange colour looks awesome, really nice job you have done there mate.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

XFWAGON wrote:
s**t, even though i am an 8 man, those 6's look f**k sexy when they are all cleaned up and shinny like yours, that reddy orange colour looks awesome, really nice job you have done there mate.

Cheers XFWAGON, yeah the i6's do clean up quite well, only need to do a couple of things to get them looking pretty under the bonnet. Right now the combo of black plastics, polished alloy items, burnt chrome extractors and the orangy red rocker cover are really doing it for me :mrgreen:

Now to bring the rest of the car up to scratch :lol:

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Little update, ditched the original steering wheel in favour of an leather XR6 wheel out of an AU2 XR6, got it cheap so i cant complain, sprayed the airbag black to match..

Also got round to tinting my tail lights over the weekend, couldnt find any of that VHT niteshade stuff so used some purple glass stain from bunnings, works to a similar affect so im happy, didnt go too dark, just enough to make the red look deeper and suit the car a bit better. Just so happens that after a whole weekend of hunting around for VHT and giving up i find a place who sells it and has it stock for me :roll: .. Also did the orange repeaters which turned them a weird dark orange red colour, looks a bit better than orange though, so they'll stay until some a pair of clear's go on.. Will take better pics on the weekend after a good clean and polish..

Before
After

Hopefully have a few goodies coming my way this week, a woodgrain ashtray stereo surround and a woodgrain centre console rear vent surround, some more LTD woodgrain goodness to add to the mix until i can afford the LTD door trims :lol:

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF11 Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Little update, ditched the original steering wheel in favour of an leather XR6 wheel out of an AU2 XR6, got it cheap so i cant complain, sprayed the airbag black to match..

Also got round to tinting my tail lights over the weekend, couldnt find any of that VHT niteshade stuff so used some purple glass stain from bunnings, works to a similar affect so im happy, didnt go too dark, just enough to make the red look deeper and suit the car a bit better. Just so happens that after a whole weekend of hunting around for VHT and giving up i find a place who sells it and has it stock for me :roll: .. Also did the orange repeaters which turned them a weird dark orange red colour, looks a bit better than orange though, so they'll stay until some a pair of clear's go on.. Will take better pics on the weekend after a good clean and polish..

Before
After

Hopefully have a few goodies coming my way this week, a woodgrain ashtray stereo surround and a woodgrain centre console rear vent surround, some more LTD woodgrain goodness to add to the mix until i can afford the LTD door trims :lol:

copied me on the side repeaters ay :lol:

that candy red kinda shade looks mint!!!!
would really suit a red car..
nice car btw. really neat.
need to get rid of the spolier though...

It really is true you can sell anything....just look at holden, selling s**t with a badge on it.

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 110  Next