Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 100 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's EF Fairmont
Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Such a clean car mate ! Everything is obviously done with care.

Loving the bling of that catch can ! But what pipe have you connected up to it ? Looks like the PCV pipe is still connected to BBM, is it just the rear pipe of the rocker cover connected ?

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Thanks mate :wink:

Yeah, at the moment it's just hooked up the rear rocker cover breather; the catch can is fitted so it runs 'inline' with how it is from factory, i.e. rear breather to catch can, catch can to inlet barb on the bottom of the throttlebody.

PCV still is hooked up as per normal. Was going to hook both the rear breather and PCV straight to both inlets on the catch can, and then block off the inlet barbs under the throttlebody and on the intake manifold. But then I thought that by doing this it bypasses intake manifold vacuum so it won't have any vacuum to draw vapours out to the can.

I'm not 100% on how all this s**t works, so no idea if my theory is valid or not lol, I just don't like the idea of oil vapours being recycled back into the intake.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

I see where you are coming from with that idea. I attempted something with the PCV and it ran like a dog.

Took off the PCV and put a filter in it's place, that was a real bad idea as it just didn't have the vacuum any more.
But if you were to run both lines to the catch can with the PCV still in place I don't see the issue, provided the BBM hole is blocked up too.

Saw some catch cans on ebay with only one line into it and a filter so that could also be useful if people didn't want to play around with the PCV pipe.

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: ED Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Love this car man tastefully modded they could have released them from ford like this like your catch can idea was thinking about doing same thing to my EL oil intake can cause ping too. How does this beast go?

ED Fairmont, Ghia mock DOHC-T 11.6 @ 118 Trying to get back to the 1/4!

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Oh and good work with keeping auto. Im putting 3500 stall and 4.10s in my EL that will crap on T5 anyday :P

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks dude! :wink:

It goes okay for the time being, has about 150rwkw at the moment (peaked at 152rwkw on the dyno when it was on there not long ago). Still running a pretty conservative timing map and AFR's were still in the 11:1 range at WOT so hopefully some more power to be revealed once I sort the tune out.

Haha yeah man, auto FTW, don't have to worry about no s**t 3rd gear committing suicide with the T5's :lol:. I need a stall of around 3000rpm to match when the cam comes on song. Still got my 3.89:1 gears sitting in the garage, just waiting on a decent LSD centre to come up so I can get it fitted all at the same time. 3.23:1 gears, stock stall and a decent cam isn't a very good combo unless you're on the open road lol..

Your's will be a fkn animal with a 3500rpm stall and those 4.10 gears lol. Saw what happened to your 4.11's over on Boosted, kinda puts me off going with these ex-r31 skyline gears I've got here :|

Posted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

No worries,

I guess yours probably starts boogying when you hit about 40ks :P If I were you i'd sell the skyline gears, its not so much a problem but if you shift kit, they just Die lol but I hate how noisy they are too.

What sort of cam/engine do you have? We make roughly the same power. I have a stock au motor and a camtech its weird the rated range is 1800 - 5200 but it works more from like 2600-6000 so the 3500 stall should be plenty sufficient :mrgreen: probably will need slightly fatter rubber if i wanna be able to stamp on the gas lol

funny you mention seeing my broken gears, thats the third set of 4.11s ive smashed lol my current 4.10 rebuilt is setting me back $1200 but thats full rebuild bearings and Reco LSD stupid tight lol :D
gonna soften my trans shifts just to be sure not to kill these gears although they shouldn't brake.

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah man, it's quite a slug off the mark lol. Sometimes struggles to spin up off the line just stomping on it even with cheap s**t 255's on the back, but once it gets a bit of wheelspin, it'll bounce off the limiter pretty happily :P

Still has the original EF bottom end, done around 250,000kms so far still untouched. Head is an EB tickford one I did a home port job on and had it fully reco'd before going on, upgraded valve springs and had it shaved 25thou + MLS gasket which should be somewhere close to 10:1 comp at a guess. My current cam is a regrind so isn't too wild really (.508 valve lift, 216/217 deg duration @ 50thou, 114LSA) - supposedly makes power from 2200-6000rpm, but it feels like it starts making power from like 2800rpm. Was going to try a vernier cam gear to advance the cam timing to get it to come on a little earlier, but I like the top end pull, so would rather get the diff gears and stall done to suit. Might just try adding more timing in the lower range of the map and see if it wakes it up a bit.

Thats awesome power you're getting out of the stock AU motor dude, well done! 8-)

Did the 4.11's whine quite bad? I heard that the 3.89's were just as bad so that puts me off even more now, my EF is shiftkitted too, lol. I've got a mint set of 3.45's out of a Ghia, but they aren't short enough :P. Might have to start saving for a set of 3.91's or 4.1's :)

Posted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Cool cool man it will be a weapon with gears and yeah dnt go a vernier it sounds like its working great how it is just add timing down low. I found skyline/pintara gears noisy even noticeable with windows down. And shift kit is a no no lol
I was stoked with the power mine made for the mods. I like Camtech cams they also work well for me
Similar spec to urs but 480 lift 220 duration @ 50 114 lsa billet

Def go some good gears keen to see more updates! ill let ya know how mine goes soon.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Finally got something done today that was WELL overdue..

Before.. :cry:

After.. :D

Tinted windows done courtesy of Navin @ A1 Tinting - did a top job, great service and best of all, I didn't even have to leave the house; which is a bit of a mission right now with a broken foot :evil:

Extremely happy with how it turned out, finishes off the exterior nicely. Only went for darkest legal/35% all round, didn't want the hassle of it being too dark and getting hit up about it during a WOF or police inspection. Nothing worse than having to pay for a job twice, so decided to play it safe.

That is all for now ;)

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Looks great bud!

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Whats the point? Sun never shines there!

Just joking, looks nice. Never noticed you hadn't had it done. Need some better photos when you can.

I wrecked that NF. If you want any of the chrome bits let me know. Got the front bar moulds, window surrounds etc.

Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

galapogos01 wrote:
Looks great bud!

Thanks Jase, it's slowly getting there haha :wink:

SLO247 wrote:
Whats the point? Sun never shines there!

Just joking, looks nice. Never noticed you hadn't had it done. Need some better photos when you can.

I wrecked that NF. If you want any of the chrome bits let me know. Got the front bar moulds, window surrounds etc.

Haha! Thanks mate, I've been meaning to get them done for a long long time, just never get around to it. I've got 3-4 weeks off work due to that broken foot so I've got no excuse to not have them done now lol.

Will try get some better photo's of it later this week, possibly even the weekend as I may be taking it to a car show on Sunday, still undecided yet.

You wrecked the NF? What the hell happened? I'll have a think of what I may need and I'll possibly PM you if anything springs to mind. Thanks for letting me know dude, appreciate that :wink:

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Went outside to get a quick snap. Really need to go find some nice new scenery to use as a backdrop :lol:

Should have some new rear springs in a couple of weeks time, hopefully something that will bring it down a bit more level with the front.

Posted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 98 EL Fairmont GHIA

New Zealand

KWIKXR wrote:
Should have some new rear springs in a couple of weeks time, hopefully something that will bring it down a bit more level with the front.

^^Like, she will be looking fine then

98 Fairmont Ghia, T5, 6 Puk Clutch, Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust System, J3 Chip, Dobi Superlows, 17's, B&M Line-Loc.

Sort by  
 Page 100 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 110  Next