Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 103 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's EF Fairmont
Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

SLO247 wrote:
Nice update. $52 for an LSD is pretty good. I can just picture you at the payment point. "Just a diff from an old Falcon mate". Nicely done.

I wouldn't worry about the times as long as you enjoy it on the street.

Cheers bro :wink:. Lol, that's pretty much how it went down! :lol:. I had no intention of mentioning it was a LSD either or else it probably would have cost more, lol.

Funny thing was I left the upper arms and basically brand new brake rotors on and still only got charged for the diff. At the end of the day, it's a diff assembly, so whatever is bolted to it when I get to the counter is how it's assembled :lol:

I'm not too fussed about times down the quarter, but would like to run a 15 something just so I'm out of the 16 second bracket. 1/4 mile action is bloody addictive, even with a slow tank of a car, lol.

It's got a 15 in it for sure (would probably get there easily without all the extra weight with the audio gear, sound deadening etc), hopefully with better traction and a slightly change in gearing, it'll achieve it with the same weight it had when it ran a 16.2. The Ford Muscle Car Club drag day is on this Sunday, so that's when it's time to see what it can do with the new diff :)

fiend wrote:
How the hell did you get a diff for $52?!!! Sorry, missed that bit. That is friggen extreme.

EDIT

HOLY CRAP. Is that the basic price for a whole diff assembly at Pick-A-Part now?!
Phuck me. I feel light in the head..... Pick-A-Part is on. Loving it.

Haha, that's the one bro! Get in before they realise they are ripping themselves off and bump the prices up big time lol.

Weird how everytime I go to Pick-a-part, the LSD's are always one of the first things to disappear. Then I go find this one under a XR6 and pull it out quick smart. Couple of days later, a NF Fairlane Ghia V8 enters the yard and that still has a 3.23 LSD under it as of Saturday just gone (although, it's probably gone now lol).

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

s**t!! That's a mean deal on the diff, Wish we had a pick a part down here.

Ford drag days?! You guys up north get all the fun!

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Haha, sure was! :)

The Ford drag day should be good fun, although it has turned into an "all brands welcome" sort of affair, with Powercruise Taupo being on the same weekend, I bet a lot of the tough Fords will be heading down for that instead.

Hopefully it should get a decent turn out though. Will make sure to get photo's etc on the day :)

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2006 BF XR8 Boss 260

New Zealand

Score on the diff bro, this car is quickly becoming god like!

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers Deff :wink:

It's still far from god like haha, need to dump about 20 to 30k more into it at least for it to be well on it's way there. Wish I had the money for a stalled C4 and a built motor for big boost, that'll be the day! :lol:

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

KWIKXR wrote:
Cheers Deff :wink:

It's still far from god like haha, need to dump about 20 to 30k more into it at least for it to be well on it's way there. Wish I had the money for a stalled C4 and a built motor for big boost, that'll be the day! :lol:

Yeh I looked at every option to boost the stock I6 but it just didn't add up so I done the next best thing, 330ci low compression V8! hehe

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Took it to the drag day at Meremere today held by the Tauranga Ford Muscle Car Club. Had a ball of a time there, got to meet and catch up with new and old which was great!

I went there with the intention (or hope) of breaking into the 15's after doing a best of 16.2 a few weeks back. Since changing over to LSD with 3.45 gears up from 3.23 single spinner, I thought it should be able to do at least a 15.9 something. Everything bar the diff has been left as it was since the last time at the drags, still running full weight as it is when driven daily.

Did a couple of practice runs. All times were recorded manually without the board at the end of the track functioning so they were a bit all over the show. First run was recorded as a 16.09 which was promising, followed up by some oddball runs where the times were obviously wrong (ranging from 14.76 up to 16.7). They were only practice runs to give an idea of what time to put forward as the DYO time so I didn't read into them too much. From those runs I thought a 15.8 DYO would be reasonable.

Then we switched over to DYO elimination with the time board functioning as per proper drag racing. My first run down in elimination and I got a new PB, but broke out by almost .2 of a second, so parked it up and waited for grudge racing later on haha. Was pretty happy with the 15.645 pass @ 90.76mph. We then moved onto grudge racing once DYO elimination was finsihed. I let the car cool down for a bit as the temp got up quite a bit after a decent skid with some 6k limiter bashing.

Then went back onto the track against the 'stang that took my spot in elimination, pulled a new PB of 15.49 @ 91.37mph or 147kmh, was pretty stoked with that. Almost a full second improvement just from the change to LSD and 3.45 gears compared to last time at the drags which was on a cool night. Was going to go back for another run to see if I could better it, but we all decided to call it a day.

Couple of snaps..

Queuing up next to my mate's pimp-lane on 20's haha..

Lining up next to my mate's boosted Fairmont Ghia, what a beast! (ran back to back 13.7's @ 103-104mph with traction issues off the line and on boost for a good quarter of the track)

Quick skid before running my PB..

Both of the Fairmont's repping the T.I Performance brand across the ditch in NZ :mrgreen:

Now hoping to play around with the tune a little bit more, get the AFR's spot on (still running around 12.2 - 12.3 through the midrange) and maybe see if a little more advance can be added in the midrange too. Some better tyres with better grip so I can launch a bit harder and hopefully I can get into the low 15's, I'll be happy, until that comes and I want a 14 :lol:

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Looks like a fun day bro, my day consisted of removing motor and trans from the AU Fairmont ready for the 'Metal Man' to rid me of the rust pile, lol.

I'd love to run the boss down the strip, has crazy power off the line (i.e take off from the lights and the rears just melt into oblivion!) hehe

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Haha, nice! Should definitely come along to the next drag day whenever that is man, they are planning to do another one next year, so I'll keep ya posted :wink:. Best part is there isn't too many cars so you can get quite a few runs done without having to wait in queues all day, unlike Nightspeed Drag Wars which is currently on at this time of year.

Here's a video of me getting smoked by my mate in his turbo'd EF Fairmont 4.0, haha, that thing hauled once it got traction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCZXA3_Ha8

Posted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Nice, looks like a fun day alright, need to drag myself out to one of these things real soon.

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Courtesy of Cameron Lee @ 180Photography 8-)

Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

God damn. Yours outshines mine, and mine is pretty damn shiny. 8-)

EL Ghia

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Get it framed mate, looks real nice :)

Current...
XY Faker Project...
EL XR6 Work Hack...

Posted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TyLeR3397 wrote:
God damn. Yours outshines mine, and mine is pretty damn shiny. 8-)

Haha, it probably looks better in the photo's than it does in real life to be honest. It's not bad for 17 year old paint that hasn't had any polish or wax touch it for at least 4 months now :P. Luckily I managed to wash the Fairmont that morning to get it clean, didn't realise there was going to be a pro photographer there.

Gotta love the darker colours the e-series came in, they have an awesome shine and depth when kept in good nick. Your's looks mint mate! 8-)

Deff wrote:
Get it framed mate, looks real nice :)

Cheers mate, definitely going to get it printed out and framed :wink:. Be the first time I've got a decent action shot of the Fairmont and it turned out well. Should give me a bit of motivation everytime I see it :lol:

Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford EF Fairmont 1996

NSW, Australia

Hey Mate
I just bought a steering wheel exactly the same, pretty much the same condition. How did you repair it?? How did you stain the blue part because its worn on the right hand side.

KWIKXR wrote:
Got home from work today and stripped the head down. Spent about 15mins or so filing down the nasty casting dags all around the outside of the head just so it's a little nicer to handle lol, the 91AA head carved my hands up quite well so I'm not going through that again.

So far everything looks all good :P. I'll drop it down to the cyl head shop tomorrow morning if he's open and get him to wash the head down and blast the chambers and ports to get rid of the epic amount of carbon build up so I can see what needs to be done.

Also received my AU momo wheel. It's a little rough, but nothing a decent leather repair/restoration kit won't fix up. I'll probably have the blue grips re-dyed black and then I'm definitely putting this wheel in the Fairmont - it's 11ty million more times nicer to hold than the B-series wheel and feels much more chunky around the blue grips.. plus it has MOMO on it so it's just better aye :lol:

I'de rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it

Sort by  
 Page 103 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106 ... 110  Next