Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 17 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: My 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:20 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Hey mate the grill looks great. Did you get it re chromed yourself? I just picked up 2 of those grills today for nothing, but they are color coded. I like that grill in chrome.

Cheers

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Thanks mate, yeah i had it lying aound in the garage in a half polished state from an attempt at polishing it like how FordFairmont did his a while back. It once was coloured when i picked it up at pick a part, completely stipped it, sanded it back smooth etc so it was in pretty much mint condition for chroming. Took it into a chrome plating mob and they sorted it or me. Pretty thourough in their process too, it gets fully cleaned, copper plated, polished, nickel plated, polished then chromed :shock:. Came out mint though, and has a brilliant shine :mrgreen:

The grill is actually cast alloy so they said thre was no guarantees of how it would turn out, something to do with it oxidizing?? but he said if its usually in good condition in which it was it will be fine..

Good pick up with the 2 grills for free there Josh, i paid $20 for mine, and then a huge amount for chroming :lol:. The grill actually does look good in chrome, i wish the EF Faimonts came out the factory with a chrome grill option as well as the colour coded.

I reckon a chrome EF grill on your Lane would look bloody gorgeous hey 8-)

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:33 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

KWIKXR wrote:
Thanks mate, yeah i had it lying aound in the garage in a half polished state from an attempt at polishing it like how FordFairmont did his a while back. It once was coloured when i picked it up at pick a part, completely stipped it, sanded it back smooth etc so it was in pretty much mint condition for chroming. Took it into a chrome plating mob and they sorted it or me. Pretty thourough in their process too, it gets fully cleaned, copper plated, polished, nickel plated, polished then chromed :shock:. Came out mint though, and has a brilliant shine :mrgreen:

The grill is actually cast alloy so they said thre was no guarantees of how it would turn out, something to do with it oxidizing?? but he said if its usually in good condition in which it was it will be fine..

Good pick up with the 2 grills for free there Josh, i paid $20 for mine, and then a huge amount for chroming :lol:. The grill actually does look good in chrome, i wish the EF Faimonts came out the factory with a chrome grill option as well as the colour coded.

I reckon a chrome EF grill on your Lane would look bloody gorgeous hey 8-)

Yeah I will look into it, looks mint aye. I have pulled my NF grill off because the black paint inside the vents has been peeling. I was going to get some scotch bright on to it and make the whole thing chrome, but some of the chrome has peeled also. f**k plastic generation, Much rather use the alloy one.

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

XR-Lane wrote:
Yeah I will look into it, looks mint aye. I have pulled my NF grill off because the black paint inside the vents has been peeling. I was going to get some scotch bright on to it and make the whole thing chrome, but some of the chrome has peeled also. f**k plastic generation, Much rather use the alloy one.

Lol exact same reason why i took my NF Fairlane one off, the black paint between the fins in the grill just flaked right off, appears to be chrome under that aye?? I did mask up all the chrome, prepped the black areas of the grill and sprayed them in gloss black but it just flaked off again so i took it off and went back to fairmont spec, plus its got a couple of big gouges in the chrome since its plastic.. Wonder how much it would cost to get the plastic grill chromed :roll:

Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

KWIKXR wrote:
XR-Lane wrote:

Lol exact same reason why i took my NF Fairlane one off, the black paint between the fins in the grill just flaked right off, appears to be chrome under that aye?? I did mask up all the chrome, prepped the black areas of the grill and sprayed them in gloss black but it just flaked off again so i took it off and went back to fairmont spec, plus its got a couple of big gouges in the chrome since its plastic.. Wonder how much it would cost to get the plastic grill chromed :roll:

Yeah, it is chrome under the back paint. f**k you must have been keen to mask it all up and redo the black paint. I was not all that keen, thats why I attempted to rub the remainder of the paint off :lol:.

But at the end of the day the fairmont one looks very nice when chromed, almost better than the fairlane ones.

I was thinking of buying some grill mesh for the inside to replace the plastic and buy a slightly larger ford badge for the middle.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

These landed on my doorstep today :mrgreen:

A full set of Concordes 8-)

Only set i've ever seen in NZ so far, so im a hold on to them. Will get them re-lipped in the next few weeks, chuck some tyres on them get them balanced up and on they will go. Will save my ROH's for future track/drag duties :twisted:

And a quick snap of my interior, just to fill the page..

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Nice work with the concordes :D

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Hey you got a set :D You got some before I did, mind you I haven't been looking hard :lol:

Should look sweet.

Posted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

SLO247 wrote:
Nice work with the concordes :D

Cheers mate, yeah i think it was a good decision to buy them. Simple rims but look good on the right car aye.

XR-Lane wrote:
Hey you got a set :D You got some before I did, mind you I haven't been looking hard :lol:

Should look sweet.

Lol i didnt even think id ever own a set to be honest, until they came up and i thought i better snap them up before someone else does lol, they pretty rare over in NZ, first set ive ever seen in person and now i own them :lol:

Yeah they should look pretty nice on the Fairmont, still thinking about whether i should get them resprayed a different colour, either the champagne colour as seen on the EL GT's or a lighter shade of grey. We'll see, for now they will stay this colour.

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Might attempt going spoilerless this weekend if the weather is any good, took it off this morning and i like it a lot. After buying these concordes i will need them to suit the car, and with the spoiler there it will be doing just that, spoiling the rest of the car :lol:

Will have to decide how im gonna fill the holes cause i dont have a welder or any fibreglass so will sort that out tomorrow and get cracking on the weekend

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: DL LTD - AU LTD Limousine

NSW, Australia

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers fella's, will have to get round to doing it sometime. Have decided to get the holes welded inside of trying to fibreglass as its gonna be a b**ch to do. Will just weld, grind, fill, sand, high fill, sand agin, and then maybe just touch it up for until i can afford to get the boot resprayed :lol:

Still needs to get the superlows in the rear before it will look anywhere near decent. Sucks being a broke a**

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well despite having one of the s**t weekends ever with it raining on and off every half hour i managed to de-spoiler, patch up the holes and get it touched up. Didnt turn out too bad seeing as i am a complete noob when it comes to anything to do with bodywork - now i kinda see why panelbeaters charge so much to do these things.

Decided to fibreglass the holes instead of welding after looking around for someone to weld the holes i found there wasnt a lot of places willing to do just that for me so i got stuck into it myself, bought a fibreglassing kit and had a crack at it - first time ever using fibreglass so it was a good experience for me.

This is how it turned out..
Filled after sanding down the fibreglass
Masked up ready for the touch up spray
Finished result, night-time really does do this thing more justice than it deserves :lol:

All in all im happy with it, from a distance it look pretty much perfect. You can only see how s**t it is when you really get close up to it and observe. I havent really blended the touch up paint to the rest of the bootlid, so you can see where it was masked with slight lines around the work where it joins the rest of the paint, the colour match is near spot on though so its not all bad - nothing a spoilerless bootlid in good condition from pick a part wont fix though :P. Just have to keep an eye out and pick one up as soon as a heritage green fairmont comes into the yard

Other thing i worked on this weekend was the Concordes. I purchased them with quite a large amount of curbing/gutter rash around the lip. Had to get them looking respectable again before putting them on so i decided to have a go at repairing it myself.

A before shot of one rim with a bit of curbing, this ones not so bad, the other a bit worse than this but are still repairable, will just require a bit more attention with the air grinder

And an after shot after a bit of filing, grinding, and a few grades of sandpaper to bring the finish back to being smooth

So far have done 2 rims, so 3 more to go. Hopefully will get to take these in on Saturday morning, get the tyres removed from my ROH's, fitted to the Concordes, balanced up and away she goes :P

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Nice job with the boot lid mate. should do the job till you find a replacement.

Rims have come up good, a new coat of paint will bring em up like new. I would paint em in the gold tint but thats just me, it may not suit the colour of your car.

Something to think about anyway :lol:

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:47 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: DL LTD - AU LTD Limousine

NSW, Australia

Well done on both counts.. i reckon keep the silver for the wheels personally.... :mrgreen:

Sort by  
 Page 17 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 110  Next