Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 21 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

One of the purchases I made by using RACE DIRECTORS PAY PAL account was for a clutch pedal --- The lady owns an EF FAIRMONT with a 351 (might be a W) and still has yet to get it through he Muncie to the rear wheels. It's a C4 auto at present.

Goes quite good mind you... She's old school - Got big a*** Cragers and everything standard EF Monty, bar the engine and some basic suspension work. Showed her a few pictures off this site (like my clutch pin conversion for pedal box) and she's got the motivation to get into it.

Since she works at the wreckers, she is also good for the odd heads up when something nice arrives... That's where the second Tickford head came from (as I was pulling it out, two other "real" mechanics came along with their tools to pull the head off and spewed that I was there already doing it...)

Anyways, the reason for this post is dubious at best. I am merely stating that a 351 of whatever persuasion in a EF monty ain't a bad choice of weapon.

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

ashcook wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:
Cheers for the kind words Ash, mate a 351C in an EF would be wicked :twisted:, hmm come to think of it, my old man is considering rebuilding his mates 302C in his mates garage, he's been talking of buying it after he builds it as the guy just wants to hear it running and doesnt have a body for it. Maybe i can convince him to retrofit it into mine later on, or maybe chuck it in my mum's Ford Laser, ultimate sleeper :lol: :lol:

Now that would be an ultimate sleeper!! :lol: Get him to do the rebuild and hold onto it for sure. Even if you don't put it in your car, find another nice little project to start. I've got a 289W in my Dad's shed we bought for an XP that didn't really take off. It has a BOSS 302 top end on it so it is way to good to give up. I'm holding on for that mustang to come along and drop it into.

Again well done mate. Sounds like you've had some great results! Might have a tinker with mine now. But I have a bloody LPG mixer to sort out as well.

Yeah i'll have a word to him about it, would be good to have a v8 motor sitting in our garage as my old man is always on about how he wants to rebuild just one more :lol:. IIRC he said something about it needing a few parts, everything is in pieces and most of the parts have either been already machined or renewed.. Will have to go around some day and check it out for myself and maybe take a few snaps of it all

He's got a 6cyl XF Fairmont at his workplace that could be a good project.. He's an automotive mechanic tutor and is using the car for practical lessons, lucky bugger even has a good sized workshop and a hoist which gets used a fair bit by me :lol:

The XF is fairly straight, but the rust is letting it down big time, the straight 6 needs to be tossed though, has been running LPG most of its life but unfortunately the owner removed the entire setup prior to selling it, not a bad buy for $150. Since then though its just been parked up, entire exhaust was removed and now its just running extractors with no exhaust :twisted:

Would need to have a whole heap of rusted areas repaired though (all the usual areas where XF's rust lol) and would then need to be rego'd, warranted, certed etc. All part of being a project though i suppose hey :)

fiend wrote:
One of the purchases I made by using RACE DIRECTORS PAY PAL account was for a clutch pedal --- The lady owns an EF FAIRMONT with a 351 (might be a W) and still has yet to get it through he Muncie to the rear wheels. It's a C4 auto at present.

Goes quite good mind you... She's old school - Got big a*** Cragers and everything standard EF Monty, bar the engine and some basic suspension work. Showed her a few pictures off this site (like my clutch pin conversion for pedal box) and she's got the motivation to get into it.

Since she works at the wreckers, she is also good for the odd heads up when something nice arrives... That's where the second Tickford head came from (as I was pulling it out, two other "real" mechanics came along with their tools to pull the head off and spewed that I was there already doing it...)

Anyways, the reason for this post is dubious at best. I am merely stating that a 351 of whatever persuasion in a EF monty ain't a bad choice of weapon.

Mate that sounds like it would be a bit of a beast aye. Its funny you dont see a lot of people doing these kinds of conversions, they would make an awesome project.

On the topic of old school V8's in e-series... I remember seeing a grey EF Fairmont or maybe Falcon a long while ago on Trade Me, running a 9 inch diff, C4 auto and a either a 302 or 351, slips my mind now but, had a bit of work done to the motor, and had a bug catcher type scoop popping out of the bonnet. Looked a bit different, but it sure as hell looked tough :twisted:

Cant beat the sound of the old 351 clevo, nothing else comes close.

Anyways, my Dad's cousin brought around a 94AB head of his NF Fairlane today. Brings back memories of what my head looked like when it was first removed - wasnt as bad as this one though, so black you can barely see the valves :lol:

We took it to get machined as the car overheated, cooked the head and warped it. The gasket had definately seen better days, and now the sump is completely full of what looks to be mud :lol: the joys of mixing oil and coolant together

While i had i had it back from the head place i took a few snaps comparing it to the 91AA head ive got sitting in the garage. Obviously its not very easy to compare them when one is complete with valves and is still carbon'd up and one is not but it sort of shows the minor difference in chamber shape after deshrouding. The chambers came up quite well after polishing them with a wire wheel attachment, no need for any polishing compound when you can get a finish like this. Still have a fair bit of work to do on the head, but will hopefully try and make some more progress on it once i find myself a suitably sized air die grinder which i can get into the ports with.

Also noticed that the oil galleries on the 94AB are smaller than the ones on the 91AA, weird.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Okay, thanks to a little help from XR-Lane, the throttlebody mod has been added to the Technical Documents forum (not the Technical Documents section under Resources), which i did not even know existed until an hour or so ago :lol:

Posted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Okay, thanks to a little help from XR-Lane, the throttlebody mod has been added to the Technical Documents forum (not the Technical Documents section under Resources), which i did not even know existed until an hour or so ago :lol:

Heaps of good info in the Tech Docs area.

That should keep you entertained for a few hours.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:41 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Hey Nathan. I have been meaning to read your thread and catch up on what you have done with your throttle body since you sent me a PM. Its a good write up mate, and with the results you have got from yours, I am keen to have a go at it with my spare throttle body.

This may be all that is needed to achieve the same results as the 68mm throttle bodys? the gradual tapered angle to the butterfly and the way you have given it less restriction looks as though you would get much better air flow

Good work mate.

Posted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks mate, yeah id say that the 68mm one would be better suited to highly worked engines which require the extra flow at higher rpm. For mildly worked enegines i reckon a little modding of the stock T/B is all thats needed for that extra response. Would be good to see how you get on with your spare one, id like to see a few others try it out and see how they find it

Well, the last 2 days have been spent working on the AU rocker cover getting it perfect. Right now its about 90% finished. Was finished earlier today, but when it got to block sanding the lines and lettering, i carelessly scuffed the paint and somehow chipped a bit on a corner, so i sanded it back smooth, masked up around the lines and lettering and block sanded that back to metal. VHT High Temp paint is good s**t, but it is a b**ch to sand back especially when doing little things like lettering. Tomorrow's job is to mask up the lines and lettering so i wont have to block sand again, one more coat of the VHT gloss black, then i'll have to get a hole tapped for the cruise control cable that mounts to the rocker cover..

Also picked up some heat wrap for my extractors today at half price, its good having mates that work for auto parts places, especially performance parts places :twisted:. The heat given off by the chrome coated extractors is terrible and heat wrap will be my temp fix for now, cant afford or justify the $250 odd that id have to fork out to get them HPC'd just yet. Should also receive a new o2 sensor soon too which will go in once the extractors are wrapped, then she'll be booked in for a power run and AFR reading on the dyno, will be interesting to see what the old Mont pulls on the rollers :D

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

You could try going to an art shop for "MASKING FLUID" - a sort of paint that sets like latex in minutes which you can then peel off...

Or you could try getting some wax onto the surfaces or some other form of what have you...? Vaseline maybe?

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Good thinking there Fiend, might give the vaseline a go on the lettering and see how it turns out. Thanks for the tip :wink:

The lines/stripes can be masked up easily, since it already had the top coat finished prior to me stuffing it up, the paint between the lines has been untouched so it still looks mint. Therefore i can just mask the entire set of lines and just paint around it if that makes sense.

Well i'll see if i can get that done later on today, need another can of the VHT Gloss Black

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Just finished this about half an hour ago :D.

Should be going on tomorrow maybe, as long as i can get the paint to cure properly before then be because i dont want to chip the thing, so it will be getting a blasting with the heat gun for a while. Also went to supercheap and picked up a CPC billet oil cap in anodized red, should go well with the red motorcraft leads and red EEC-V lettering on the airbox. Removed the centre sticker and sprayed it gloss black to go with the rocker cover so it should all tie in nicely when fitted. More pics up tomorrow when it goes on

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Love the Rocker Cover there KwikXR, I have an AU XR6, maybe a black cover would look nicer than the red :?: :roll:

I think I might show this to MiniSmurf, methinks he will JUMP at this.

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

yeah looks good mate, how long will this one stay on for :P

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

It may be an optical illusion or my eyes are stuffed :shock:
Are the lines and the intech 4.0 in Gold? it sure looks like it to me :shock: :roll:

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Papa Smurf wrote:
Love the Rocker Cover there KwikXR, I have an AU XR6, maybe a black cover would look nicer than the red :?: :roll:

I think I might show this to MiniSmurf, methinks he will JUMP at this.

Thanks PapaSmurf :wink:

Tough choice mate, red looks bloody good, the very reason i did have a red one on the Fairmont right now, but i dunno, ever since i saw a AU cover in black, i was hooked and just had to grab an AU cover and give it go. So far im over the moon with how it turned out, gloss black with the smooth bare metal lines and lettering really does look awesome.

Maybe get yourself a spare AU cover, paint it up black, and see how it looks on the XR. Keep whichever suits it better an give the other one to MiniSmurf :P

XR-Lane wrote:
yeah looks good mate, how long will this one stay on for :P

Cheers Josh

LOL i change so many things on this car so many times its not funny, grills, rocker covers, throttlebodies etc. I think this one will stay for a long long time though, im loving the look of it, and will go well with all the polished bits i have in the engine bay. Ive also got a few things like the engine lifting brackets and T/B to head bracket that i am going to get chromed so it should go together a lot better with the black rocker cover than it would of with the candy red one - but time will tell :)

ashcook wrote:
That look bloody great!! I've seen that on another guys car before too and thought it was heaps better than the red. Good work! :wink:

Thanks Ash, lol i also saw it on another members EF and i was hooked, think it was PIMP_LTD's EB. I agree with ya mate, the black does look a lot better than the red IMO. Looks a whole lot sexier :lol:

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Papa Smurf wrote:
It may be an optical illusion or my eyes are stuffed :shock:
Are the lines and the intech 4.0 in Gold? it sure looks like it to me :shock: :roll:

Nah mate, they are silver, well just bare metal to be exact. But gee now that you mention it, they do kind of look goldy in the picture hey, i think it may have been the garage light giving it that effect. Glad that you mentioned that though mate, i think you have given me an idea that may come in handy if i ever get this repainted, gold lines and lettering would look mint against gloss black :D

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

ashcook wrote:
Ha, I actually saw it on another members AU ute. One like mine I think but white.

I was thinking about mine the other day when I was under the bonnet but there are too many other things that have to come first. But now I'd just be copying you too, ha. Just kidding.:lol:

I've got matt black rockers on my 351 with polished metal edges on the top fins/lines, whatever they are called. I scored them of an old guy out of the states. Said he had them for quite few years stored in his barn and they were still new in plastic. I love old s**t like that that looks quite classy. I have an old V8 badged gear shifter knob as well out of a 52 Ford V8 ute in my 351 ute as well. Couldn't resist that one.

Mate i know what you mean about grabbing old stuff that looks the goods, similar story with me getting the concorde rims, not very old i know but they are real classy rims :)

Thats the word i was looking for "fins", couldnt think of the bloody word they use so just called them lines :lol:. Gee, you dont see many of those rocker covers getting around these days, most of the v8 guys run the tall polished/chrome covers. I actually like the black with polished fins look better. Better hold onto those ones Ash, they're keepers :mrgreen:

Hahaha you should do the cover on the AU man, i reckon silver (same colour as the ute) with black fins could be the go. When i layed down the groundcoat (metallic silver) on mine, it looked bloody mint, then the black went on and i was like "f**k yeah" :lol:

Heres a pic that Fiend altered for me to take the goldiness away from the fins and 4.0 intec lettering.. Thanks Fiend :wink:

Sort by  
 Page 21 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 110  Next