Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 23 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

facer01 wrote:
Yep the bonnet lining has been removed/binned a while ago. The bloody thing had worn itself a set of gills after rubbing against the BA intake hose for so long no to mention it started fading and looking like s**t. Ended up just spraying the underside of the bonnet with touch up paint and it came up a treat - funny how they never paint the underside of a bonnet properly when a lining goes over it, it was bloody half primered, half light green and a few bits of heritage green here and there :roll:[/quote]

removing the bonnet lining doesnt do anything does it? i think i might just do that because i have pipes that like to rub on it aswell[/quote]
Nah mate the bonnet lining doesnt do a damn thing IMO :lol: except cover up a half finished paint job and maybe reduce a bit of engine noise, but im not bothered by it as you can barely notice any difference. Removing it actually made things look a lot cleaner as my one was completely stuffed really. No harm in removing it if it looks ugly :P

fiend wrote:
Reason for asking about removing lining was due to the fact your BA pipe still looked so perfect... Mine has tell tale signs - Abrasions and the like.

I know exactly what you mean there mate, my BA pipe has a few slight battle scars, especially that extra tube that hangs off the pipe which has a few little scratches and scuffs but nothing a bit of tyre shine wont cover up :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:54 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

yeh i might remove mine, how hard was it?
my dads hilux has no bonnet lining so cant be too much harm done by removing it

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

facer01 wrote:
yeh i might remove mine, how hard was it?
my dads hilux has no bonnet lining so cant be too much harm done by removing it

Eaaaasssy as mate, just remove all the button type clips holding it in and it comes straight out. The clips can be a pain in the a** to remove so just lever them up a bit with a screw driver or something then rip the bastards out :P

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

And that "little bit of plastic that hangs off the front of the BA pipe" is actually a harmonic reducing thing...

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
And that "little bit of plastic that hangs off the front of the BA pipe" is actually a harmonic reducing thing...

Ahh that would explain it, always wondered why the hell they would put that ugly looking thing there. So the donut looking thing you see on the e-series V8's would be a harmonic reducer too, interesting.

Im actually very close to removing the BA intake altogether and making up something in alloy bends with silicon joiners. The BA intake doesnt like fitting onto the T/B very easily now that the AU rocker cover is there. The AU rocker cover is slightly taller and the accelerator and cruise cables are in the way when you try to manoeuver it onto the T/B, its still possible to get it on, but its a royal PITA

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Get onto TROY from CHCH on this site --- Sell the BA one to him for sweet stuff all so he can save about a thousand dollars on getting a decent intake going!

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
Get onto TROY from CHCH on this site --- Sell the BA one to him for sweet stuff all so he can save about a thousand dollars on getting a decent intake going!

LOL i might just do that, as soon as i can get some cash together to start buying all the bends and joiners i need to put it together, then i'll be thinking about HPC'ing the lot so f**k im in for a nice amount of cash to do all this :roll: :lol:

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Ahhh - Bugger money - I've just found out that a couple of the T-56 short shifters I've been selling on TradeMe don't fit the Commodore VE's T-56 version 3 because of the external linkages or how GM have re-arranged the shifter position in the cabin... So, there's going to be people totally p****d and returning them and I've even paid for two more too! Bugger me, I'm going to be stuck with the damn things... The T5 ones all work... Ah hell, I might copy this message into my own build thread with some pictures... Or something... Crikey bloody d**k...

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Gee thats sucks to hear. Guess those guys will be after refunds which will mean more money wasted aye. Just read the other thread you posted about the aussie T-56's etc. Wish i could help mate but i wouldnt have a clue about T-56's nor T5's for that matter. Hopefully there will be a few guys out their wanting a shoft shifter for their T-56 (not the ones in the VE's obviously) in which case you may be able recoup your costs. Going by the prices you are putting them up for on Trade Me, you are selling them at bargain prices compared to the other places ive seen which are selling them for over $300

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:39 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

if u decide to get rid of ur BA intake ill take it off ur hands i need one for my w.i.p

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

Hey chief,

That wheel came back from the upholsterer, cost a bit more for re colouring than what i thought... :oops:

Heres some pics if you wanna check it out:

Link to Woodgrain Wheel

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

XFWAGON, you dont know how much i want that bloody wheel now after seeing what it looks like after being fixed, all i can say is f**k MINT :mrgreen:

Too bad my cashflow wont allow it, got a fair few fines i have to pay off with money that i currently dont have :x

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well finally got around to heat wrapping the extractors today. Works quite well and doesnt look too bad :)

M&H Heat wrap, Thermo-tec snap straps and hi temp spray

Extractors after being mummified :lol:

After being sprayed to 'seal' the wrap and make it look less ugly lol

All fitted up..

What a b**ch to apply though, the wrap is made of this fibre s**t which gets into your skin and gives you the itches big time. Bloody annoying s**t i tell ya, especially when you need to wet the wrap for it to be applied properly and then leave it till it completely dries. I left it overnight as i wrapped it last night and it still wasnt dry by midday today. Got sick of waiting so quickly chucked them on the car and started her up, that dried the pricks up nice and quick lol. Sounds like an old grumpy bastard of a straight 6 running the long secondary extractors alone with the exhaust unbolted :twisted:

Havent taken it for a drive yet so cant really say how much of an improvement they would of made with regards to under bonnet temps, but there is definately less heat being radiated from that side of the engine bay. You can barely feel any heat when you hover you hand above the extractors now and you can even quickly touch them when the car has warmed up without being scalded :lol:

Whilst the extractors were off i got to do a bit of tidying up in the engine bay. Sanded back and resprayed the rusted section on the rail were the brake M/C was leaking which lifted the paint with ease, also got to respray the side of the block in matt black and sprayed the steering linkage silver to brighten things up on that side of the bay a bit so it looks a bit tidier over there. Also got out the air compressor and blew all the dirt/dust and s**t out of the engine bay with the good old airgun.. On the downside i managed to f**k up the rubber joiner on the BA intake pipe today and it fell off (only glued on from factory i found), didnt have any superglue around to reattach it either and hose clamps wont hold the f**k on since there isnt enough of the pipe there for it to clamp to, so the old EF intake is back on with the panel filter till tomorrow - its amazing how quiet the car is now without that pod filter, actually sounds a lot better being quiet. For now the BA intake will sit in the garage collecting dust till i can be bothered fixing it again.

Just recently a couple of EL's and an AU have entered the Pick a Part yard so i will head down there first thing in the morning and scavenge all the goodies - hopefully the AU still has its injectors, i wouldnt mind a set. Will also try and find an EL throttlebody bend just for now so i can experiment with different better looking intake setups, even though they are bad for flow with the sharp bend they go nicely with polished alloy/stainless intakes 8-)

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:50 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

the wrapping honestly doesnt look too bad aye
cant wait till i get my car back together so i can start doing more work on the looks side of things
i need to finish polishing my BBM its been sitting in the shed half done for ages ive been contemplating finding some one to do it for me and throwing em some cash :P
how do you get ur bbm to stay polished so well i left my thermostat out in the weather for a night to see what would happen and it went all bubly and s**t from the moisture and im basically gonna have to resand it a lil and metal polish it again :(

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

RE; BA INTAKE
Dopey bugger
RE; MUMMY

Sort by  
 Page 23 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 110  Next