Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 24 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Yeah mate, no way near as bad as i thought it would look. The graphite/greyish black coating on the wrap makes it look heaps better so i was lucky enough to buy that first time round.

Believe it or not, the BBM doesnt require much work to stay like that, maybe once every 3 weeks or so i just give it a quick once over on the runners with a bit of autosol and it comes up nicely again. The BBM is finished with a polished surface, no clear coat or nothing which is the key i reckon. If you put a clear coat on it it will most probably turn to s**t, turn yellow and flake off because the surface is polished - unless of course you buy some proper sealant for polished surfaces like what is used with polished alloy rims etc. Just try to keep the polished items clean from dust so it doesnt cake on and try not to leave it out in direct weather lol, i had a similar episode with a EF Fairmont grill i polished a long time ago.

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:08 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

yeh its just getting it that way is the hard bit :P i dont have the determination to sand for hours on end no matter how good its gonna look in the end :P

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clever bugger you are Fiend, i had to look twice at that picture till i realised you put the extractors on either side. I though they were fingers upon first glance. Love the little added caption too hahaha. Nicely done mate, nicely done :D

Yeah the bloody BA intake, almost threw the f**k over the fence when that joiner came off and couldnt find any superglue, just about had it when that happened after all the other stupid mishaps with things going missing and things not going back on easily. It was a good day but a s**t one also :lol:

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:28 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Clever bugger you are Fiend, i had to look twice at that picture till i realised you put the extractors on either side. I though they were fingers upon first glance. Love the little added caption too hahaha. Nicely done mate, nicely done :D

Yeah the bloody BA intake, almost threw the f**k over the fence when that joiner came off and couldnt find any superglue, just about had it when that happened after all the other stupid mishaps with things going missing and things not going back on easily. It was a good day but a s**t one also :lol:

just remember you gotta take the good with the bad lol

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Lol i hate that saying but its so true, i try and do one good thing and something goes wrong straight away, fix that then something else happens, its a never-ending head f**k :lol:

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:43 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yeh ohh well s**t happens (also very true :P) expecially when it comes to cars lol

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

welcome to the fun filled and exciting world of ford ownership lmfao

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

low_ryda wrote:
welcome to the fun filled and exciting world of ford ownership lmfao

Lol where the more you do the worse it gets :lol: :lol:. Gotta love it though :D

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

lol yer, as much as i've sweated, bled and swore at my old coon i love it to bits, which ironically is where it's headed lol

yer header wrap is awsome for underbonnet temps but be careful. as it doesn't reduce heat, it just keeps it inside, i've seen my extractors glowing through the wrap quite a few times after a big workout. although i used tri-axle glass tape and coated with exhaust enamel & baked it in a kiln to cure it.

how come the oxy sensor is only reading 3 pots that seems farely inaccurate to me ?

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Couldnt agree with ya more mate, definately keeps the heat inside the pipes all right so should have the gases moving along a bit quicker. Im only worried about cracking the welds on the collectors and that as a lot of other people have faced, but i reckon its all in the method of wrapping it, keeping it consistent with the amount of overlap, not allowing too many hotspots etc so fingers crossed i wont run into any issues.

Regarding the o2 sensor positioning, i had the exact same thought, after seeing the pacemaker 4499's and 4480's which i was so close to buying which had the o2 sensor mount on the collector before the flange effectively reading all 6 pipes. The price was very tempting compared to the Pacemaker ones so my thoughts went straight out the window :lol:

Seems to work well enough though afaik lol, even the JMM race series extractors have the o2 sensor mounted on one primary collector reading 3 pipes like the Coby extractors i have do, so i wonder if there is a reason behind it or not :roll:
Attachment:
108185_2mg.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

The oxygen sensor only reads three, same as mine. There is a theory that having it further down the extractors (where it would read six) would provide false readings at low RPM due to the gases cooling and condensing further away from the cylinders.

Reading three cylinders is fairly accurate mate. The ECU does not tune each cylinder individually, so therefore you could almost guarantee that what is happening on three cylinders is a good indication of what is happening over all six.

Am damn sure we've been through this before somewhere KWIKBRO. Maybe on NZFF?!? Have not poked my head in over there for a while. Mainly because I can't find a simple button for "WATCHED THREADS" on that site. Groan.

Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
Am damn sure we've been through this before somewhere KWIKBRO. Maybe on NZFF?!? Have not poked my head in over there for a while. Mainly because I can't find a simple button for "WATCHED THREADS" on that site. Groan.

Yeah mate i think i remember reading something about it on there, maybe 99Ghia's AU perhaps which got the ceramic coated 4480's??

Anyways, picked up a good score at Pick a Part this morning. Must of been an early Christmas for people after ford parts today. They had 3 AU's!!!!! I was OMFG :lol: :lol: thats probably the rarest sight ever at Pick a Part, usually the latest model ford you see there is a pov-pack EL Taxi or EL hybrid. Managed to score an EL throttlebody bend and a set of AU injectors for $34 all up, pretty happy with that :mrgreen:. Could of also had a real nice tickford rocker cover too off one of the AU's, but this one was weird, it was more like the EB/ED style tickford rocker cover, flat, not like the AU one where it is slightly taller, with the ticky wings down the bottom, but had the half moons cast into the rocker cover?? Is that normal?? Cant say ive ever seen a non-vct AU XR rocker cover, but im pretty sure this wasnt one. Maybe off a late ED XR perhaps?? The rest of the engine was definately AU though.. Anyways, the d***head owner must of wrecked it, cause the bolt holding the throttle cable to the rocker cover had been "modded" probably due to the thread being damaged - and what was their fix?? They drilled a hole right through the rocker cover, pushed a small bolt up through the hole from underneath the cover and tightened a nut onto the thread from the top of the cover, with a s**t of sealant to stop oil leaking out - f**k idiots. Could of just drilled the hole out a tad bigger, re-tapped the hole and fitted a bigger bolt to hold the cable down :roll:

Oh well, thats the end of my Sunday rant :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Subject: KWIKXR's 1995 Ford Fairmont

KWIKXR wrote:
fiend wrote:

Yeah mate i think i remember reading something about it on there, maybe 99Ghia's AU perhaps which got the ceramic coated 4480's??

Anyways, picked up a good score at Pick a Part this morning. Must of been an early Christmas for people after ford parts today. They had 3 AU's!!!!! I was OMFG :lol: :lol: thats probably the rarest sight ever at Pick a Part, usually the latest model ford you see there is a pov-pack EL Taxi or EL hybrid. Managed to score an EL throttlebody bend and a set of AU injectors for $34 all up, pretty happy with that :mrgreen:.

PICK A PART WEBSITE
----------------------
INJECTORS, PETROL (EACH) $12.00
INJECTORS, PETROL (SET) $29.00

s**t on it. They tried to charge me $12 per one (yes - $72) and never told me about the "SET" for $29. I thought you must have broke in after hours and stolen them or something, but hey - there it is - $29.

I've never seen an AU in Pick A Part Wellington. I paid $80 for an AU BBM with throttle, fuel rail and everything (which I then pulled the injectors out of and the rest is sitting in Butlers back yard... Now that NZEA looks like he's getting a FORTE I suppose he could get this AU BBM sand blasted and polished.... Let the mods begin.)

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

I guess i was lucky they told me to check the price board before entering the yard as per usual, so they couldnt fool me with prices :lol:. When i took it up to the lady to pay for them, she asked if they were a set, so i said yeah, i told her it says $29 for a set on the board, she checked it and said yep your right. Lol if i didnt say anything i reckon she would of tried to charge me $12 each. Gotta watch those people at the counters out at Pick a Part, they always try and catch you out on prices :roll:

Heres a snap of the injectors in all their glory.
I cant believe how hard it is to find a place that can clean them and put them on a flow bench to test their pattern, might just throw the buggers in and run some injector cleaner in the next tank. Will just re-new the o-rings, pop em on and see how it goes :)

Also i think ive sussed out my redesigned intake now. Using the bits of 3" scrap alloy pipe i had from the last $30 scrap mandrel bend i bought to do the extension into the airbox with the BA pipe.

Ended up just cutting the pipe with the bend a bit shorter to go from the EL T/B bend to the EL flex joiner and used my existing pipe i had for the pod filter in the airbox to join the EL joiner to the airbox. I think for now i'll just run the paper filter and put the pod filter on my mum's KF Laser :twisted:.. Only till i can get a better length pipe to reach into the airbox a bit further so the pod can sit there... The EL flex joiner came in very handy, not only does it join the pipes together but it lifts the pipe sitting over the BBM just enough to clear it, so the EL joiner rests on the BBM and keeps everything in place

The pipes need to be sanded back smooth and re-autosol'd :lol: which i'll do tonight maybe along with cleaning up the rubber joiners

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

wow that actually looks pretty good aye! with a bit of a clean up it will look really nice!
only thing that lets it down abit is the EL bend from the throttle body (just needs a nice Clean)

Sort by  
 Page 24 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 110  Next