Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 25 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Yeah - Don't you think we're going to let you get away with putting that bloody EL or AU plastic on for long matey... Go buy a half doughnut of stainless pipe and get someone to weld it to the mandrel bent straight bit. You could keep the rubber joint where it is between the air box extension and the straight bit...

Those EL intakes are not good flow wise - The EF was better for flow... I have a TICKFORD EF AIR INTAKE BADGE that you could have for free and put on your old EF setup (laughing out louding).

Hmmm, you change your engine bay more than I change my bloody undies.......

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:25 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: 1995 EF Ford Fairmont

QLD, Australia

fiend wrote:
Hmmm, you change your engine bay more than I change my bloody undies.......

and how often might that be?

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Obviously I have no girlfriend and live in a garden shed.

Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Lol i knew someone was bound to say something about the EL bend. Even i was known to advise people against using one in their intake setup as i thought that it was such a sharp bend.. However....

Its actually not all bad. Yes it may look like it is a sharp bend leading into the T/B but its actually a lot better than it looks. The inside is pretty much as smooth as can be, the bend is quite rounded on the inside, although on the outside it looks quite the opposite, plus its rubber and will prevent heatsoak a bit better than stainless or alloy. Another good thing about it is, right before the T/B the opening is huge, well it seems huge - i'll need to take pics and compare them. Seems to work well right now so that'll do it for me :lol:

Downside is, the EL t/b bend is one ugly mofo when its dirty, thinking i may use some flexible type black spray to neaten it up a bit

Dont worry Fiend, when funds allow, this will all be changed to stainless 3" mandrel bends HPC'd with proper silicon joiners :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Try using the AU intake pipe to the throttle body. It looks nice and is smooth on the inside.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

BenJ wrote:
Try using the AU intake pipe to the throttle body. It looks nice and is smooth on the inside.

Cheers
BenJ

Thanks for the tip BenJ, may go down to Pick a Part sometime this week and see if there is one there, it'll only cost me like $5 as thats their going rates for any intake pipe/hose. The intake on the AU i got the injectors off was completely smashed, wouldnt have a clue what happened to it but theres a couple of other AU's there which i didnt check properly.

Anyways, got around to swapping out the old EF injectors for a set of AU ones. Just my luck, my brand new bosch O2 sensor arrived in the mail so that went on as well. Quite different in design from the stock Ford one, but they all do the same job.

These are the EF injectors, was shocked at the amount of crap built up around the tips and in the bore where they sit :shock:
And just for comparisons sake, heres the AU ones again.. Went straight in without any issues being a direct plug in and they seem to work just fine

While the injectors went in, i had a chance to clean up the stray looms that reside between the BBM and rocker cover which sit all over the fuel rail - anyone with an EF/EL who has taken off the intake will know what im talking about, the 2 big a** plugs that are in the way of everything in that area..

Heres an old pic i had which kinda shows what im talking about. They are pictured in the box

So, i re-routed them behind the BBM and onto the other side where the vacuum hose junction is and cable tied them down out of the way so they are all together with all the other plugs. Makes the space between the BBM and rocker cover look much neater and doesnt get in the way when you are trying to remove the fuel rail, intake manifold bolts, and other parts in that area.. Also makes it a lot easier to check all your vacuum hoses are connected at the rear of the BBM

AU injectors in and plugs re-positioned out of the way..

Easy access to the vacuum hoses at the rear now..

While everything was off, i decided to polish up the alloy pipes i used for the intake, one was in a semi polished state and one was just still in scrap metal state :lol:. Sanded them back smooth and hit them with some autosol which made them come out looking like new. Also cleaned up the EL bend as best i could, but decided to give it a quick spray with some bumper bar black spray which is supposedly flexible. We'll see :lol:

Still havent taken it for a drive yet since fitting the injectors, but after starting it up and giving it a quick rev, i think it could be running a tad rich at this point. If it does end up running a bit rich i might have to swap the tickford 300kpa fuel reg out for the 270kpa stocker. Will be resetting the ECU in the morning and go from there. Had a slight bit of rev hang which was getting on my nerves so made up a gasket with smaller holes to fix that issue while i had everything off. Now i have basically zero rev hang lol, returns to idle quick smart again after giving it a couple of revs.

So, thats the engine done for now, will get the car booked in for a dyno run to check the AFR's in a couple of weeks time and see how much kw's im getting to the rears with my current setup. Hoping to see close to the 140rwkw mark, but not getting my hopes up cause i'll be p****d if im expecting too much and dont get the result im after :lol: :lol:

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I am really impressed at the work you do on your Vehicle KwikXR. There is nothing wrong with doing the best work you can do. Keep it up mate :)

Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Cheers Papasmurf, appreciate the kind words :wink:

Will do mate, will do. As soon as i've saved up a bit more cash, a bit more will be done on the car. Till then i can only enjoy it :lol:

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Looking very tidy there mate.

FYI, the BBM plugs and wiring between the EF and EL are actually different. The EL has these huge square plugs with a 10mm bolt in them to hold them together, and are mounted on tabs attached to the manifold.

The AU injectors shouldn't make a lot of difference re running rich. They flow the same as the EF/EL ones but have a better spray design with 4 holes, allowing improved metering and atomisation of the fuel.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Hey - You got one of those Bosch o2 sensors too...

AU Injectors - Ditto....

And I put the all the wiring loom under the BBM so there's not wires at all on top (and with the injectors plugs facing down it looks pretty clean compared to original...)

Bloody hell. - Is there nothing you're not going to copy? :lol:

Since you've got a bit more cash and a whole heap more motivation at present, can you please start PM'ing me your future mods so as to give me a fighting chance on keeping pace with you....

And yeah - I gave myself big headaches when trying to work out the wiring engine wiring loom (EL) when I was converting the EL into EF mode. In the end I just gave up and put together another EF loom that was slightly cannibalised using a couple of plugs and extending some of the leads to suit its new position under the BBM. This involved more solder than absolutely necessary according to the "Idiots Guide to Soldering" and used a couple of rolls of insulation tape too many......

Now, honestly - Stop d**k with the engine bay. I've run out of undies to change and I have no washing machine.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks BenJ, now that you mention the plugs on the EL are different, i think it was a similar case with the AU. When i was removing the injectors off the AU at Pick a Part, i think i had to undo a bolt holding one of the plugs together - not 100% sure but i had to do something there lol

Anyways, yeah, it doesnt actually seem to be running rich at all now. Yesterday when i fired it up after i swapped the injectors over, the exhaust fumes smelt very fuely. Today after resetting the ecu, the car seems to be running much nicer. Bumped the idle up a tad to compensate for the reduced hole size of the ISC gasket holes and its never run so sweetly

Must say, either these AU injectors work a charm or the old ones were buggered because the car pulls quite hard now, its a lot easier on the throttle now and feels as though there is a bit more midrange torque. Gave it quick blast around the block this morning and it goes well, quite happy with how it performs for now :wink:

Lol Fiend, it does seem that way doesnt it. I also have the injector plugs facing down for the smooth look too hahaha

For now i think that's all i'll be copying off you.. There is a few things which i did have in mind though, such as relocating the coil pack and new Eagle Eliminator 9mm leads while it gets done which is what you have IIRC?? I can get them cheaper than the Motorcraft leads and they are supposedly very good with low resistance etc. May also be following suit with Znoelli rotors if the buggers ever return my phone calls or emails :roll:

I wont be doing a T5 convo though and i plan on keeping my car one colour :lol: :wink:

But thats it for the engine bay side of things, im finally satisfied with how it looks i think so you wont have to worry anymore on that front.. My work will now be focussed on the interior a bit i think and perhaps a custom boot install.. I'll PM you anyways, and see what you're getting up to, see if theres anything else you've done that i can apply to mine

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Ah, okay. So you still have to Znoelli (whatever) the brakes, J3 the computer, Eagle the leads and relocate the coils.

Honestly, having a two colour car is just great. You'd love it.

And just so you all know, I am seriously just having a laugh when it comes to this copy cat thing. I forgot how it started, but I should give it a rest. Now BenJ has a swaybar, a 1673 and a wagon there is nothing left to get smart about.

As for Zonelli (whatever) I got an email back from them saying they'd do me a deal on a new front set when required. You should just go and see them mate - Tell them your mate from Wellington has been through a couple of sets and is telling the world how good they are. If you're lucky they'll put two and two together and... WTF. I'll just PM you. This is getting out of hand.

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
Ah, okay. So you still have to Znoelli (whatever) the brakes, J3 the computer, Eagle the leads and relocate the coils.

Ahh thats the other thing, the J3. Well not for a while anyways, still have to get this spare head ported and freshened up and still deciding whether ore not to copy you and get the 1673 or just go for the 977b and worry about my lack of torque under 3k later :twisted: :lol:

fiend wrote:
And just so you all know, I am seriously just having a laugh when it comes to this copy cat thing. I forgot how it started, but I should give it a rest. Now BenJ has a swaybar, a 1673 and a wagon there is nothing left to get smart about.

I know mate, i know, just playing along with it all in good fun hey :wink:

fiend wrote:
As for Zonelli (whatever) I got an email back from them saying they'd do me a deal on a new front set when required. You should just go and see them mate - Tell them your mate from Wellington has been through a couple of sets and is telling the world how good they are. If you're lucky they'll put two and two together and... WTF. I'll just PM you. This is getting out of hand.

Ahh good man!! PM Sent :mrgreen:

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Looky what we have here taking up the garage space :roll: :twisted:

Attachment:
P1010125 (Large).JPG

Attachment:
P1010128 (Large).JPG

Attachment:
P1010126 (Large).JPG

Attachment:
P1010130 (Large).JPG

Attachment:
P1010129 (Large).JPG

One of Dad's mate's dropped this off during the week. A complete 351W, all in parts though. The guy wants the old man to rebuild it for him, just so he can hear it running so he says.. Still dont know what the story is, but hopefully Dad will end up getting this motor off this guy so we can do a bit of work on it, chuck it in something and have a bit of fun with it. Apparently this guy has had the motor in storage (in parts) for a number of years, seems like it went through a reco job that never got finished. Heads have been machined, cylinders have been bored out etc. nothing performance wise, just a basic reco by the looks of it. At this stage, he plans on just building it with the parts that came with it just to get it running, although it would be nice to find a cheap second hand 4 barrel manifold to throw on as the guy did have a few spare 4 barrel carb's that he brought over along with the standard 2 barrel one.

Either way it will be good practise for Dad since he hasnt really rebuilt a V8 since we left Australia about 10 years back.. If he does get to keep it, eventually, it will most likely be built to perform, knowing him - so a few of the parts would probably end up being modified (heads) or upgraded very quickly (manifolds, carby, cam etc) :twisted:

By the looks of things, everything is standard, except for the nice Weiand finned covers, the block which has been bored out a bit (how much i dont know - still have to check all the receipts that are stored somewhere in one of the many boxes of parts) and the new matching pistons to suit. Everything else looks standard, standard 2V heads, standard 2 barrel intake manifold and carby, standard cam, etc. Good thing is everything needed for the rebuild is there i.e new bearings, rings, gaskets, bolts etc.

Hopefully the rebuild will get cracking soon, will get some progress pics put up along the way.. :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

ashcook wrote:
Very very nice! It'll look great under your green bonnet. :wink:

Hahahaha i wish mate. It would probably go as good as it would look too :twisted: :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 25 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 110  Next