Fordmods Logo

KWIKXR's EF Fairmont Turbo 

Page 27 of 110 [ 1638 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 110  Next

Post subject: Re: KWIKXR's 1995 Ford Fairmont
Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Papa Smurf wrote:
A very nice and well presented car you have there KWIKXR. :)

Cheers Papasmurf, appreciate the kind words. (Sorry mate i only just saw your comment now :oops:)
facer01 wrote:
nice car kwikxr
imo you should take the work from the engine bay too the outside of the car and get it looking as good as the engine bay.

Thanks mate :wink:
FordFairmont wrote:
facer01 wrote:
nice car kwikxr
imo you should take the work from the engine bay too the outside of the car and get it looking as good as the engine bay.

wtf is he supposed to do exactly?

XR kit belongs on an XR.......... this mont look great "as is" with some dumpage & decent rims, both which are suffcient enough for a daily driver in this case

Haha you pretty much summed that one up for me FordFairmont. I dont plan on doing anything really externally, perhaps a respray in the same colour, get the windows tinted and change the exhaust tip because the oval tip just looks f**k now that i've gone spoilerless, but thats about it. I like the smooth stock/original kinda look, doesnt attract too much attention and is practical. Could also make for quite the "sleeper" with a snail strapped to the side of the engine running a decent amount of boost :twisted:

I quite like the Concorde's its sitting on, and the ride height is about where i want it to be. I could go a bit lower but its a good compromise between looks and practicality ATM so im happy with that. Rest assured, this Mont will never see a bodykit ever :lol:

So hows your Mont coming along FordFairmont? Come to think of it, the way mine looks now is not far off how your Mont used to be with the concorde's and polished grill hey :P
racedirector wrote:
Far out man, that looks sweet! The wheels really suit the colour well, I often wondered what a set of those would look life on an EF. It's given me a few more ideas for Rachs car now :)

Thanks mate, yeah the wheels do work with the dark green very well indeed, or any other dark colour for that matter. Hahaha if you find a set mate, i reckon they would look very nice on Rach's EF, should go well with the N9 navy blue :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

did i read that you have the rage exhaust system? if so did it just bolt up?

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Troy wrote:

Yep you read right, the Rage system bolts straight up to the flange on my Coby extractors, all the hangers and that match up perfectly too :)

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

sweet...was looking at the system as its not a bad price, hows it sound?
don't have a video do ya?

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Troy wrote:
sweet...was looking at the system as its not a bad price, hows it sound?
don't have a video do ya?

Sounds pretty good aye, its got 2 mufflers so it has a nice deep tone to it, has a nice bark when it starts picking up the revs but isnt overly loud. Im also running no cat due to the length of the extractors so that may affect the sound somewhat. Which car are you looking at putting the rage system on?

I will get a vid done sometime this week of the exhaust note, as soon as the car is running again lol, had the alternator die on me yesterday so the car is a no go ATM. I did have one but the sound quality was a bit shot when i uploaded it so will have to get a better one.

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

it would go on my eb 4.0L i wouldnt run a cat either, never have. actually was looking at those coby headers too there pretty good price also.

thats a bugger about the alternator i thought that happened to me the other week but the cable had just broken, be good to hear it, just thought it might be a bit to quiet with 2 mufflers.

ya done some nice work on the fairmont btw...i've always liked ef/el fairmont grill

Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Troy wrote:
ya done some nice work on the fairmont btw...i've always liked ef/el fairmont grill

Thanks mate, yeah the EF grills look mint when you play around with them a bit.

Mate the coby extractors are pretty good, definately worth the money. I got mine for a touch over $400 brand new in chrome coating so i snapped that up in a heartbeat right before the prices went up. Not the biggest fan of their choice of coatings but they can easily be stripped and HPC'd :twisted:. Dont know how they would compare to brands like Pacemaker but they do work well especially from 2200rpm onwards you feel the difference.

Remind me about the vid if i dont post it up this week just incase, my memory isnt the best :lol:

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Well got the alternator fixed today, im happy again lol, car is back on the road. Had an old retired auto electrician pull it apart, clean it and replace the brushes for $50 and all is good again. Fitted it up and no more fluctuating volt meter and no more battery warning light :mrgreen:

Also got a quick vid done of the exhaust note Troy, hope it gives you some indication of what the exhaust will sound like :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6SHYLammG8

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

thats good it was a cheapish fix....cheers for the vid sounds good think i might get it at christmas
not sure if i want coby or pacemakers yet coby isn't much cheaper.
was looking at Franklin Cams as kelford cams told me to talk to a tuner first and there a bit dare so they can get f**k, whats franklin like to deal with?

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

KWIKXR wrote:
Well got the alternator fixed today, im happy again lol, car is back on the road. Had an old retired auto electrician pull it apart, clean it and replace the brushes for $50 and all is good again. Fitted it up and no more fluctuating volt meter and no more battery warning light :mrgreen:

Also got a quick vid done of the exhaust note Troy, hope it gives you some indication of what the exhaust will sound like :wink:

Sure has balls :D

Posted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Troy wrote:
thats good it was a cheapish fix....cheers for the vid sounds good think i might get it at christmas
was looking at Franklin Cams as kelford cams told me to talk to a tuner first and there a bit dare so they can get f**k, whats franklin like to deal with?

No worries mate. Just remember with the pacemaker extractors (if you do choose to go down that route) the secondary pipes finish short as they have probably been designed for use with a cat converter being aussie made and all so you may need to either buy a cat replacement pipe (i think Autobend, the place who manufactures Rage Exhausts, can supply these) or get one custom made up to suit so that the exhaust and extractors can be bolted up. The coby extractors have long secondaries which eliminate the space of the cat altogether and bolt right up to the rest of the exhaust so theres no hassle.

As for cam places, i had some bad experiences with Kelford, not their products but their service. When i was looking at getting a cam for my EF, i emailed them numerous times asking them about prices and what cam they could do to suit what im after. Never once got a response. Called them several times, asking about what cam profiles they had available for the i6 engine - one time this guy said they can grind me any profile, he says just send us the cam and tell us what your after and we'll grind it for you and that was that, didnt say anything about no figures, what kind of application i was using it for or nothing. This other time i called and this guy told me they only do one profile for street engines and said it would be $250+ GST and shipping costs to regrind my original cam. Dont know if the guy i was speaking to knew what he was on about but like the first guy i spoke to, he didnt sound too keen to even talk to me lol so i hung up and havent called them since.

Franklin Cam's on the otherhand are an excellent bunch of guys. Adrian, the guy in charge is a top bloke, so give that guy a call and talk to him. Pretty hard to get him on his email though, but he always does reply within a day or 2. Tell him what your after and he'll ask you what you've done to your car, what application i.e. street car, track car etc where you want more power etc. He'll then go through what he recommends etc. The guy is very helpful, i've called him heaps lol asking various questions about valve springs, vernier gears and all that and he's explained everything to me over the phone. One main thing he'll ask is if you are using the stock ecu or using a chip of some sort - i think most of their grinds are based around that. They dont have a lot of grinds at all really for falcons running stock ecu's so all you can do is try to push him to give you the most aggresive cam, which is what i did and he ended up doing me a nice combo grind :lol:. Basically if you have a tunable ecu or chip of some sort, there's no limit to what cam profile you use as long as you have everything else to match i.e hi stall or manual box, uprated valve springs, headwork etc.. When i got my cam done it cost me $180+ GST + shipping costs so just over $200 i think.. Took them over a week to do mine and get it sent out as he said they had a few little issues during the week and couldnt get it done straight away. I got onto him about it and they sent it out as soon as they finished grinding it. I was a little ticked off about the delay at first, but the product they provided me with really made up for it :twisted:

But yeah out of those 2 places, Franklin Cam's have got my vote :D. Next cam i go for will either be from them or Wade in aussie.

Papa Smurf wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:

Hahaha thanks mate, yeah it goes alright for what it is. Cant help but think of how much harder it will go with a tricked up auto, LSD and a nice set of short diff gears :twisted:

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:51 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EFII Fairmont XR8

TAS, Australia

Hi, just read through the whole thread and wanted to say good job! A great inspiration for some of the things i want to do to my car.

I've also got an EFII Fairmont, but mine is a V8 - the V8 from the ELII XR8 (185KW, 405NM)

I noticed you said you were saving up $300 for new headlights - please don't!! I've found the best way is to get some nail polish remover and wipe that ver your headlights. Gets rid of it for good, and yes I tried the sanding and meguiars plastcx - it was rubbish!

Cheers.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

KWIKXR wrote:
Troy wrote:

Yep you read right, the Rage system bolts straight up to the flange on my Coby extractors, all the hangers and that match up perfectly too :)

Hey matey --- You got the RAGE..? 2.5" is it? I still have trouble with the idea of giving those guys any cash - Because of the CHCH idiots not knowing anything about their own product and telling me I was full of s**t even when I was reading part numbers from their own catalog to them.

And they advertise BIG BORE EXHAUSTS and then tell me they only make wagon ones in original spec!

WTF?

Anyway, I was going to suggest you could maybe ask the Auckland guys for an EF wagon option and see what they have to say for themselves?...

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

thepistonhead wrote:
Hi, just read through the whole thread and wanted to say good job! A great inspiration for some of the things i want to do to my car.

I've also got an EFII Fairmont, but mine is a V8 - the V8 from the ELII XR8 (185KW, 405NM)

I noticed you said you were saving up $300 for new headlights - please don't!! I've found the best way is to get some nail polish remover and wipe that ver your headlights. Gets rid of it for good, and yes I tried the sanding and meguiars plastcx - it was rubbish!

Cheers.

Hey thanks mate, appreciate it. Will give that nail polish remover a try and see how it goes. I'll eventually need new ones sometime though as the brackets on the drivers side headlight are cracked in places as a result of getting bumped into by some stupid lady a while back. They do the job for now though :P

fiend wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:
Troy wrote:

Hey matey --- You got the RAGE..? 2.5" is it? I still have trouble with the idea of giving those guys any cash - Because of the CHCH idiots not knowing anything about their own product and telling me I was full of s**t even when I was reading part numbers from their own catalog to them.

And they advertise BIG BORE EXHAUSTS and then tell me they only make wagon ones in original spec!

WTF?

Anyway, I was going to suggest you could maybe ask the Auckland guys for an EF wagon option and see what they have to say for themselves?...

Hey fiend howzit going man?? Yes i have the Rage 2.5" "big bore" system, all mandrel bent, high flow mufflers etc.. From what i know they do a 2.5" system for the wagons too, same 2 muffler setup. Dont know what the CHCH guys are on but they werent too knowledgeable about the twin dump tips i was after either even though all their Rage exhausts are supposedly made down in the CHCH branch :roll:

Anyways I will get onto those guys at Autobend in Auckland for you tomorrow morning and see what they say. My guess is it will cost just a touch over $500 unless of course they have put their prices up yet again.

Posted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

KWIKXR wrote:
Troy wrote:

No worries mate. Just remember with the pacemaker extractors (if you do choose to go down that route) the secondary pipes finish short as they have probably been designed for use with a cat converter being aussie made and all so you may need to either buy a cat replacement pipe (i think Autobend, the place who manufactures Rage Exhausts, can supply these) or get one custom made up to suit so that the exhaust and extractors can be bolted up. The coby extractors have long secondaries which eliminate the space of the cat altogether and bolt right up to the rest of the exhaust so theres no hassle.

As for cam places, i had some bad experiences with Kelford, not their products but their service. When i was looking at getting a cam for my EF, i emailed them numerous times asking them about prices and what cam they could do to suit what im after. Never once got a response. Called them several times, asking about what cam profiles they had available for the i6 engine - one time this guy said they can grind me any profile, he says just send us the cam and tell us what your after and we'll grind it for you and that was that, didnt say anything about no figures, what kind of application i was using it for or nothing. This other time i called and this guy told me they only do one profile for street engines and said it would be $250+ GST and shipping costs to regrind my original cam. Dont know if the guy i was speaking to knew what he was on about but like the first guy i spoke to, he didnt sound too keen to even talk to me lol so i hung up and havent called them since.

Franklin Cam's on the otherhand are an excellent bunch of guys. Adrian, the guy in charge is a top bloke, so give that guy a call and talk to him. Pretty hard to get him on his email though, but he always does reply within a day or 2. Tell him what your after and he'll ask you what you've done to your car, what application i.e. street car, track car etc where you want more power etc. He'll then go through what he recommends etc. The guy is very helpful, i've called him heaps lol asking various questions about valve springs, vernier gears and all that and he's explained everything to me over the phone. One main thing he'll ask is if you are using the stock ecu or using a chip of some sort - i think most of their grinds are based around that. They dont have a lot of grinds at all really for falcons running stock ecu's so all you can do is try to push him to give you the most aggresive cam, which is what i did and he ended up doing me a nice combo grind :lol:. Basically if you have a tunable ecu or chip of some sort, there's no limit to what cam profile you use as long as you have everything else to match i.e hi stall or manual box, uprated valve springs, headwork etc.. When i got my cam done it cost me $180+ GST + shipping costs so just over $200 i think.. Took them over a week to do mine and get it sent out as he said they had a few little issues during the week and couldnt get it done straight away. I got onto him about it and they sent it out as soon as they finished grinding it. I was a little ticked off about the delay at first, but the product they provided me with really made up for it :twisted:

But yeah out of those 2 places, Franklin Cam's have got my vote :D. Next cam i go for will either be from them or Wade in aussie.

Papa Smurf wrote:
KWIKXR wrote:

Hahaha thanks mate, yeah it goes alright for what it is. Cant help but think of how much harder it will go with a tricked up auto, LSD and a nice set of short diff gears :twisted:

yea kelford gave me the same impression, i guess they dont want bussiness
i've talked to wade there nice but being in aussie is a bit of a b**ch
you got standard ecu?

i've seen the wagon on the rage website, i'd be talking to the manager about the s**t that said they didn't make them

Sort by  
 Page 27 of 110  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 110  Next