Fordmods Logo

"LTD-XTC" Now with 18x10" Rears 

Page 16 of 42 [ 618 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 42  Next

Post subject: Re: XFWAGON's "LTD-XTC" Build thread- f**k Angry!
Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: DCII LTD V8

New Zealand

nicco wrote:
shoot me a PM on monday if you like and I'll email you the T5 service manual I've got if you want it, might help with pulling it all apart and putting it back together. I'm on a different computer until then though

Cheers dude, i've got one of these already, but thanks for the offer.

Turns out there was a humongous C clip holding it on. All off now, Good thing i didn't try and take the magnet at the bottom of the box out either, manual says it's extra extra extra glued in there. Time for some petrol and water blasting i think.

Ordered some of my parts today, turns out i can't use the USA gear sets, wrong type, so i managed to get the last set in the USA luckily, exact replacement gear sets from Tremec, input shaft was $US190, Cluster $US200, 2nd Gear $US100. the USA input shafts are 9 1/4" long, the Falcon ones are 9 3/4" long with a slightly larger gear. Good thing i didn't rush in and buy the other set! I'm still trying to sell off my explorer and MAF setup on eBay, need the cash so i can get the rebuild kit (bearings, clips etc). Might need a new reverse idler gear too, man whatever the guy who owned this did to it, i don't know how he did it!!

Rebuilding the box will be no problem, dad has a bearing press and bearing load measuring equipment, so we've got it covered.

I've also got an AU XR8 ECU on eBay free postage, brand new EA/EB/ED Gear boot in original ford bag free post, $35 on eBay.

And I'm now offering free postage on my Explorer manifolds, TB, and MAF stuff. it's also on eBay.

1993 LTD V8 Oregon 5 speed "click me"

Trick Flow Heads/Cam/Intake, Crane Ignition, T5Z Trans.

Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Good luck selling some stuff matey patatee. I just had a total freak from a few years ago leave some messages on one of my auctions after he must have had a bad week and started abusing me about a planer he sold me three years ago almost. I had the cheek to complain about it being s**t, and get a message containing more swear words and abuse than actual real verbs and nouns. Unbelievable.

It's an interesting world alright, and TradeMe / Ebay freaks are the worst! Lucky I've only ever had the misfortune to deal with a couple of them...!

Hey - Why don't you take your own advice and have a look at buying another gearbox yourself? Even if only for parts... Ah well, good luck again Duno's fella....

Post subject: Re: XFWAGON's "LTD-XTC" Build thread
Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
i dont use auto trans fluid in the t5. i use penrite fully synthetic gear oil..

actually yours being a v8 t5 it should be running gear oil not auto trans fluid.
for some reason ford recomend gear oil for the v8 and auto trans fluid for the 6..

Hey Troyman, Going back to the Gear oil topic, i have read through hundreds of pages of T5 info lately, just trying to gear my self up (no pun intended :P ) for the rebuild, and i actually read that under no conditions should gear oil be used in a T5 of any kind...... apparently the blocking rings and other small crevices aren't big enough for the oil to get in which in turn causes damage and premature wear.... This is coming straight out of the Tremec book.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

fiend wrote:
Good luck selling some stuff matey patatee. I just had a total freak from a few years ago leave some messages on one of my auctions after he must have had a bad week and started abusing me about a planer he sold me three years ago almost. I had the cheek to complain about it being s**t, and get a message containing more swear words and abuse than actual real verbs and nouns. Unbelievable.

It's an interesting world alright, and TradeMe / Ebay freaks are the worst! Lucky I've only ever had the misfortune to deal with a couple of them...!

Hey - Why don't you take your own advice and have a look at buying another gearbox yourself? Even if only for parts... Ah well, good luck again Duno's fella....

I sold the intake setup which is great, have now paid for all my gear parts.

You're right about those people, some of them are just total undesirables who shouldn't be exposed to society, It's a shame you have that one on your TM about the gear shifter that took 6 days to arrive, some people are so impatient!! You never really can tell what the idiots are going to be like, i bought something a few weeks back off a guy with 500, 100% positive feedback, thinking everything will go smooth, well it didn't guy shafted me extra $US25 for postage and didn't even pack the thing! just sent it banging around in the box.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:17 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

XFWAGON wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

actually yours being a v8 t5 it should be running gear oil not auto trans fluid.
for some reason ford recomend gear oil for the v8 and auto trans fluid for the 6..

Hey Troyman, Going back to the Gear oil topic, i have read through hundreds of pages of T5 info lately, just trying to gear my self up (no pun intended :P ) for the rebuild, and i actually read that under no conditions should gear oil be used in a T5 of any kind...... apparently the blocking rings and other small crevices aren't big enough for the oil to get in which in turn causes damage and premature wear.... This is coming straight out of the Tremec book.

that may be the case for the later tremec t5?
but in the factory eb,ed manual it states that the v8 box uses gear oil...
only the 6 uses trans fluid..
after talking to a company in sydney, in regards to re building my t5 box.
they told me if i had my box recoed by them i would be voiding the warranty if i used auto trans fluid. even though the facory 6 uses trans fluid..
i told them the reason i wanted a rebuild was because of my input shaft bearing noise,
they said the input shaft bearing was worn and probably the other bearings aswell,
because of trans fluid..?
so they recomend i use gear oil instead of trans fluid and see what happens?
and since i started using gear oil (about a year and a half ago)the box is heaps quieter.. and considering the box now has about 400,000kms on it its not doing to bad..

so imo if the box is as new you can use what is recomended.. i usually recomend gear oil for a noisy or worn box. on the plus side if you use synthetic gear oil you dont need to use additives like you do with auto fluid..

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Very interesting about using gear oil or auto fluid. I must admit i just used gearbox oil for my T5, can't remember what brand but i think it said something about use in ford 4 & 5 speeds. Box had 115,000kms on it at the time, so it would have been a little warn anyway.

It's currently got a ball park of 180,000 to 195,000kms on it,( odometer was broken for a while ) and it's still running fine. Due for a gear oil change shortly, i'll change it & see what it's like.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

XFWAGON wrote:
You're right about those people, some of them are just total undesirables who shouldn't be exposed to society, It's a shame you have that one on your TM about the gear shifter that took 6 days to arrive, some people are so impatient!!
Hey --- The guy who bought the XR8 manual ECU off from you just clicked on my $26.66 BUY NOW 300kPa fuel regulator and bought it too. Those guys around Chch mate, I tell ya... All Bogan Hoons down there...
:D

Posted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

TROYMAN wrote:
XFWAGON wrote:
TROYMAN wrote:

that may be the case for the later tremec t5?
but in the factory eb,ed manual it states that the v8 box uses gear oil...
only the 6 uses trans fluid..
after talking to a company in sydney, in regards to re building my t5 box.
they told me if i had my box recoed by them i would be voiding the warranty if i used auto trans fluid. even though the facory 6 uses trans fluid..
i told them the reason i wanted a rebuild was because of my input shaft bearing noise,
they said the input shaft bearing was worn and probably the other bearings aswell,
because of trans fluid..?
so they recomend i use gear oil instead of trans fluid and see what happens?
and since i started using gear oil (about a year and a half ago)the box is heaps quieter.. and considering the box now has about 400,000kms on it its not doing to bad..

so imo if the box is as new you can use what is recomended.. i usually recomend gear oil for a noisy or worn box. on the plus side if you use synthetic gear oil you dont need to use additives like you do with auto fluid..

The guy i'm dealing with at the moment runs a place called Cerini Motorsports, he builds and does parts for racers etc, bloody great guy to deal with and his prices are excellent, especially seeing they are factory tremec parts. If you ever need T5 parts, talk to this fella. I'm gonna ask him what he recommends for lube in the box (.... 8-) ) I've heard from so many different sources what to use, half say oil half say fluid... so i'm buggered if i know.

Hey Fiend, do you know anyone that does good custom Sign writing? I just scored an AU XR8 engine cover for $40, going to paint it up cardinal red, and replace the "XR8" logo with an "LTD" logo, should look shmick once finished. Don't know anyone that wants a brand new Samsung TV do you? I had it on TradeMe but no bidders, it's still in a sealed box....

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Does anyone know if AU LTD seats will fit my DC LTD? I have an opportunity to purchase a full set of DU LTD seats for very little $$.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Different, but do-able. Hate to harp on about "try the search function" like some d***head would, but there are various people who have managed it. It's not 100% straight forward, but you know someone with a welder?.. Someone will read this thread in a minute and point you to the right place.

the-garage-f53/the-hybrid-eb-build-dohc-xr6-ba-interior-and-a-el-xr-front-t77902-189.html is a good starting point.. Not 100% sure what the difference between the BA and AU seats are, but have a close look at what you have to do for the BA into BOXCAR --- The EF and EL seats are a bit like the BA as we "round E-Series" owners have an extra bit of metal over the driveline tunnel which means the back inside mounting point is about an inch and a half higher.

Yeah - I got someone offering me some black and blue BA seats recently too... I'm just too broke.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

I wouldnt have a clue about AU seats going into a DC LTD, but this guy selling the DU LTD, do you know if he has the woodgrain type steering wheel by any chance? Been trying to hunt down one of those for ages :lol:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

KWIKXR wrote:
I wouldnt have a clue about AU seats going into a DC LTD, but this guy selling the DU LTD, do you know if he has the woodgrain type steering wheel by any chance? Been trying to hunt down one of those for ages :lol:

Yep he does lol, i've already asked about that. Was going tidy it up a bit (friend is an upholsterer) and flog it off on eBay. It is a grey leather/woodgrain wheel, bloody rough though, has grey dye missing everywhere. It's an ex-taxi. Let me know if you want it, i've got no cash at the moment to buy it anyway, can always get my friend to touch it up for you back to factory. His prices are excellent and he has been in the business for many, many moons. Did my custom leather gear boot over night for $100.

Posted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 27 images

Ride: 1995 EF Fairmont

New Zealand

Wouldnt be the one on trade me by any chance? Lol the guy i bought the concordes off is wrecking out an LTD, havent read the auction or seen any pics though. Sadly im broke too :lol: Will see if ive got any money by the end of the week and i'll see what happens. I think the woodgrain would be a totally different style from e-series LTD woodgrain anyways. Good thinking though mate, there would definately be a lot of people after a wheel like that, they are pure sex when they are in good condition aye :wink:

Money Talks, But All Mine Ever Says Is Goodbye
EF Fairmont - EFF111 Build Thread

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Ah ha, don't think i will bother with the seats then, was just an idea being so cheap, $200 for front and rear leather seats, look way more comfy than the DC seats too... I have a bad habit of thinking about projects to do, that i either have no money to do, or too much work to do. That said.... lol.... i just scored an AU tickford engine cover for $40, I'm going to paint it up etc, i want to replace the XR8 logo on it with an LTD logo.

But to fit the cover, i need to run Thermo fans, i can get a set for $45, that brings me to my question, is there any other way to set them up without using a davies craig kit?? How do the EF/L XR8's run thermos? Is it possible to get the bits off of an EF/L XR8 to fit to my car to make the fans work? I just sold my AU airbox and snorkel to a guy who is doing this conversion, he reckons he is getting a sensor from Ford that goes near the thermo stat housing and wires it up from there....in the mean time, i think i'll go utilize the search function and see what i can read up on them.

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

ashcook wrote:
I'm pretty sure they run off the ECU. The davies craig set-up is pretty simple and you can hide it if you have a good spot.

$200 is a great price for a set of leather seats. Might be worth the effort. I have no idea what the DC seats mount like but I'm guessing again the AU seats are in a world of their own?

Bummer, thats what i feared, i was hoping they wouldn't be run off the ECU.

Aren't davies craig kits quite expensive?? And isn't there a lot of problems with leaking from the top radiator hose?

And i think you are right, i remember someone on here once saying that AU seats slightly fit, but slightly don't. It is very tempting, and yeah $200 is a steal! the front drivers seat is shagged (ex-taxi) but the other seats are mint. I have a freind as an upholsterer so he could always re-trim it, my current drivers seat in the LTD had holes in it, he replaced the whole side of it for $400 (leather) looks like it just came out of the factory.

I'm also going to get the steering wheel off the same seller, it's in pretty bad shape leather wise, all the grey dye has worn off in places and it's a bit grubby, but it has the wood grain in it, so if i can touch it up a bit, i may be able to cover my costs and get some cash for it to do the thermo fan mod.

Did you want an LTD speedo cluster instead of an XR one ash? :lol: This one may have a few too many k's though...

Sort by  
 Page 16 of 42  [ 618 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 42  Next