Fordmods Logo

MK IV 

Page 6 of 15 [ 224 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next

Post subject: Re: busted a*** auxr7
Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU1 XR8

Ill give that a try when i put valve covers and upper manifold back on.

Ive got some pics here but they are too s**t too tell anything from, to my eye the springs look ok cant see anything out of the ordinary.

ive tried turning the motor over and i can see the rockers move a little bit, im not sure if they are opening all the way tho i need to do it with day light.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ok i dont know if this means anything but i can rotate the intake springs by hand when the rockers are shut, but not the exhaust springs.

Might chuck it all back together tomorrow and take it back to the shop to get it scanned again to see if theres any new codes... :cry:

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

you haven't flattened a lobe on the cam have you? If you want to try another fuel pump, I have a complete one sitting here that you can try out.

What coils and plugs are you running?
you haven't burnt a plug messing round with timing have you?
You have triple checked all the leads are fully seated?
got another set of coil packs to test with?

Piss off the premium 100, these motors hate ethanol based fuels, yes they can be tuned to run on them, but in your case take it back to basics. get it running properly first. Put a base tune back in it, run it on 95, before you start messing with timing and torque mapping, work on your MAF setup, get it as clean as you can. The MAF tune needs to be as clean as possible, otherwise it will just highlight any other issues that may be apparent.

But let me know if you want to try any parts to trouble shoot, I have a few bits on the parts shelf that may be of use to yourself..

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

What that means is that your springs have softened so much from fatigue that the valves probably float at idle.

The miss fire is caused by the intake charge being forced back up the intake during the time from the piston being at bdc on the compression stroke to the time the valve closes. Valve float gives you an artificial increase in cam duration but a more violent valve closing as the valve hammers the seat.

Either chuck a set of springs in it straight away (you can have my crane's for 245 and I'll order in another set) or bolt your tricklow heads on NOW!!!!

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Yes while i was trouble shooting i put the stock ecu back in along with stock plugs, swap three sets of coils around and removed QH = still ran the same.

The plugs that were in it looked perfect, nice and clean with no leans spots (i even unbolted the cats from the headers and ran it = still the same).

I knew the springs in gt40p heads were weak but this is taking the piss, i also checked the vacuum lines for leaks, there abit worse for wear but theres nothing wrong with them...

Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If you want to trouble shoot for an electrical miss just connect a timing light on each lead and observe the firing pattern. An intermittent miss will come up with irregular flashes of the timing light and a permanent miss will show up as the timing light not lighting up at all.

As for the valve train. I don't think I've ever heard of a roller cam wearing lobes. Your lifters may or may not be f**k though.

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Found out today first hand that the 70mm bbk throttle body isnt a straight bolt on afair.

T.p.s sits heaps closer to the body meaning it fouls on the lip where it bolts up to the egr spacer, screws are too long, holes for the screws are too close together all adds upto fail...

It would fit if i modified it... maybe someother time.

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok car is back together but it still runs like s**t, and im fairly certain its timing related.

I can accelerate the car and drive it while the whole time it keeps missing, not stumbling MISSING hm...

Car has half a tank of 100ron so once i use that up ill try 98 shell vpower instead (with QH removed curently).

Will try to get it down to the workshop that i use to see if it throws the code that im thinking it might...

Posted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Did you do my timing light test? That will tell you straight away if its your ignition or your weak as piss valve springs?

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Just tried the timing light test and cyl1 and cyl4 seem to be slower and have there own rythem if that makes sense.

2 and 3 seemed to look fine, we even gave the motor a rev and s**t so yh.

Ill be taking to get the codes checked if not today it will be tomorrow.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

That sounds like the ignitor for the coil in the ECU has s**t itself. But seeing as you replaced that, I would now be looking at wiring issues.

Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ok went and seen the mechanic at 4 today and got it put back on the diagnostic tool, NO codes at all...

No misfiring codes or anything(mind you with the QH connected it had a P0605), i let him have a drive of it and he basicly said it sounds like the valves.

He wanted me to bring it back next week to do a compression test etc but since driving it today/tonight its actually gotten worse and when theres any load placed on the motor it intensifies the sound and sounds like the rockers havnt been adjusted/tightened right.

I have a video on youtube of when i first fitted the tfs heads and the valves wernt done properly, thats what it sounds like when i drive it.

Posted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

So after a quick discussion it looks like its tfs 170cc head swap time (alittle earlier than i had planned),and tbh the car should have run quicker out at wsid than it did but that night the car just felt alittle off...

This is probably jumping alittle ahead of myself here, but after the head swap ill be out at wsid and run it pre tune, then te50 tune, then my spicy sauce tune(it will be the cars first real modification power wise).

Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Some pictures.

Attachment:
infront.JPG

Attachment:
bhind.JPG

Attachment:
rr.JPG

Attachment:
new tyres.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: MKIII begins
Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

And a few more from today.

Attachment:
watlayahead.JPG

Attachment:
a***.JPG

Attachment:
turbiedumpwastegate.JPG

Attachment:
tfs face.JPG

Attachment:
man springs.JPG

Attachment:
6.7 pushrods.JPG

Attachment:
tf 1.7 roller rockers.JPG

Attachment:
tf1.JPG

Attachment:
in order.JPG

Attachment:
studsnnuts.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sort by  
 Page 6 of 15  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 15  Next