Fordmods Logo

My new 'blank canvas' 

Page 9 of 24 [ 357 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 24  Next

Post subject: Re: My new 'blank canvas'
Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

Errr... These rims alone will send me broke lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Lol will cost ya another $400 just for rubber on the rears.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah trying to figure out my options now. Need to measure up the rims to see if they are different front to back, or if old mate just ran different rubbers. So at the moment I'm looking at Federal 595EVO's 275/30ZR20. I lived my old 595's on the xr... So figure these have to be alright... Just need to find a tyre place now... Try option 1 again, see what they can do for me.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

rightio todays update, growler is installed and umm WOW s**t is louder then i thought... just amplifies everything thats going on in the engine bay. Very impressed with my $100 second hand purchase :)

The pod filter that came with it when i bought it was FILTHY... gave it a wash with the hose and it did NOTHING still couldnt get any light through it or anything! so 2 cleans and an oil later using K&N filter maintenance kit it looked like so, and was ready to go back into the car...
Then i gave the growler plastics a bit of a scrub to get them true and black again... and installed it in the car.
Did have a small hick up though during install. As some of you may notice i have kept the orignal connection between the growler and the TB, this is due to the growler connection not having a fitting for the breather (seen just to the right of the TB, near side of where the dipstick is). no biggy, works all the same...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Rightio here is my next stupid idea, i know i have alot of them... but aye, why not give it a crack...

umm so one of my mates (AKA Krazed) has just recently purchased himself an "09 FG XT Vixen red falcon, deja vu much? Anyways, his planning on putting a complete aftermarket exhaust onto his XT... soooo... got an idea for my car...

*this is where the stupid part is going to be explained*

stock extractors (cant afford pacemakers just yet, so will just have to wait) - 2.5" flange - XR6T cat on 2.5" pipework - 2.5" flange - Custom 'y' piece (1x2.5" into 2x2.25") - twin 2.25" pipes - delete first muffler - replace second muffler with twin hotdogs (15"x2.25") - original style dump tips

so yeah basically merging 2 stock xt exhausts together lol. umm also, not sure if i should replace the first muffler with hotdogs too... not sure how loud straight through to rear only hotdogs would be?? hmm...

stupid idea, yes i know... though shouldnt cost me hardly anything. bit of pipe, few flanges and 2 hotdogs @ $30 each... so no big loss if it s**t itself... which if it does, ill just get an aftermarket 2.5" system.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
Handy Hint #43

With the K&N Filters, instead of buying the $23 kit, buy some degreaser and buy the Red K&N Oil in a can separately and save some dosh.

i would like the aerosol oil, its hard to oil the inside of a pod filter :s
but yeah cheers, i got it AGES ago when i first got my XR6 ute... this is the first time i actually used it lol. the cleaners good, but like you suggested above... maybe not $23 good lol

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well once i run out of the k&n stuff thats what ill restock with... not spending $25 on that again...

umm ill end up calling it "a piece of s**t" then shortly after ill probably hit it with a hammer or something similar and walk off in frustration... and thats best case scenario :D

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

This is just so i dont lose the image, but this is a photoshopped image of what the XT should look like once i have installed the monroe GT's, king springs, and the new 20" rims... Cheers Sloxr6 for your efforts, as always the efforts by the guys on the photoshop thread is very much appreciated!! :)

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

i hope by my birthday (april) that it will look and sound good - suspension gear and rims put on, exhaust fabricated and installed, and audio systems fabricated and wired in...
yeah patience is a virtual, unfortunately its just a virtue i have not got a lot of.

i have been overspending something cronic, so now im just trying to wrap it up at a stage that i will be happy with while i do some damage control on the bank account. Though ill be a third year apprentice when i return to work in the new year, so that will help considerably.

what do you have thats yet to be installed, i thought you were more or less up to date with everything at the moment?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

thats not too bad, cept the tune... thats going to be a nice hit to the wallet. but i suppose it all adds up to a decent amount at the end of the day...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

sounds like a bloody good idea for those of us that dont have xcal units (or similar) or dont want to book in for a custom dyno, cause in all honesty they are an expensive exerrcise. not saying they arent worth the money, but for some of us its just not an option.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Left FG XT MKi - Right FG XT MKii
Left FG XR6 MKi - Right FG XR6 MKii
Left FG G6ET MKi - Right FG G6ET MKii

Pretty much listed in order of the body kits i want to upgrade with...
I prefer the MKii kits with the large 'mouth' on the front bars, for some reason i think it just makes the car look that bit more luxurious/powerful (powerful more so when there is a massive big intercooler sitting in the mouth). anyways, ideally i would love the G6E front bar with the chrome insert to match the chrome lip on my 20's. Either that or get an FPV front bar with true black gloss coon eyes to match the black gloss of the spokes of the 20's... hmm decisions decisions... oh well... still a long way off yet and most likely will just end up getting a mkii xr6/xt front bar anyways due to funds... but its nice to dream...

oh also love the detailing around the front lip of the xr mkii bars... very nice little detailing.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:39 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2009 XR6 FG N/A

QLD, Australia

Read through and this is great stuff,
but I noticed earlier on you mentioned carbon wrapping the silver trim on the interior.
Jump on ebay and buy some one the cheap (cost me about $40 for 2mx30cm) then rip all the silver stuff out and attack it with the wrap and a hair dryer.
It looks top notch. I even did my ICC with it.
People get in the car and go "oooooooooo"
Just be wary of the trim above the glove box, you have to pull the glove box out to get to a screw holding that piece in ;)

Your idea for the 2.5" Y split exhaust sounds good, maybe when it's done we can compare how yours sounds to my ridiculously expensive 3" custom to give people an idea of how much money on exhaust is too much

2dads XR6 FG Build

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cheers mate... i do my best to ramble on about nothing really lol

yeah i did mention that, i was thinking of doing the same thing (just ebaying the wrap or getting it from a mate that does vinyl wrapping). im still keen to do it though i got a little nervous about pulling everything off... not quite sure how best to attack that. plus i need to figure out what to draw the line... how much is too much...
should swing us some pictures of yours so i can see what it is like?

it will be 2.25" (stock xt size), but yeah im curious to see how it will turn out. Will definately post up some videos and stuff before and after to show people what can be done with a bit of effort and not a lot of money :)

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:07 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: 2009 XR6 FG N/A

QLD, Australia

These are some old pics, I know they're terrible quality, but they should give you a pretty good idea of how it looks.
All I've done is apply it to the larger pieces of trim, so it doesn't have that tacky silver plastic look anymore.
I can post some better pics tomorrow if you'd like :)

Attachment:
IMG_res0229.jpg

Attachment:
resIMG_0230.jpg

Attachment:
resIMG_0231.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2dads XR6 FG Build

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 24  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 24  Next