Fordmods Logo

My new 'blank canvas' 

Page 17 of 24 [ 357 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next

Post subject: Re: My new 'blank canvas'
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

they are pretty temperamental, though its generally more so when you starting playing with the combination pipes and cats. start throwing engine lights and the like... but oh well, not much you can really do about it. yeah ill try and do it all at once, well due to the headers finishing in a different place the cat will need to be altered. so may as well do a highflow cat and the twin 2.25" at the same time. will be expensive :/

the wheels are something different aye, i've never seen the au xr's painted or changed... i think its nice.

bloody hell, i go away for three weeks and everyone runs off to buy red fg xr's lol bastards :p

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ba Xr6t

QLD, Australia

Spewing I got rid of my factory system (twin 2.5)...woulda been good for yours. Think I got like $30 for it lol....but was either sell of go in bin pretty much! The red with blk wheels would be interesting... I considered it for my other...vehicle, but cbf spending the time doing it lol.

Peddle car with racing stripes

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Bugger, would have been perfect. I got a 3" turbo system waiting for when I force it. But that is a long way off.
And if I get this 2.25 twin system in, it should be a little restrictive but will be good enough for the very short term.

My cousins mates with a powder coater, so I'll just weld and grind back and send them off to get a matte or gloss black coating on it :) cheap too.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:59 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Cool, should come up good! Pipe should be easy to weld at least...not sure on the aluminised tube, just imagine hit it with some more amps and blow it off....lol Might be fun getting both up over the diff....mine looks special where it goes through. They (xforce) have got some interesting bends going through there....

When I do my new turbo I am going to do all the dump myself, will just get it heat treated I think.

You could always go for a LHS RHS rear exit exhaust.....would be a f-around though I guess

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Easy to weld? :shock: won't it be really difficult, I've never really done thin wall pipe. So will be a steep learning curve.

Yeah I figured I would just chop slithers out of one side, bend and hammer it through :p no delicate touch here. I might even do the easy bit then just get the diff part done for me... Might be some cash in it for you brisxr6t if your keen :p haha

I would love to have a left right sorta job, but prob won't suit budget just for right now...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

True....If you can get good mandrel bends it would be easy....I made up an exhaust not long ago was a piece of piss using mild steel (non automotive), though you need aluminised or it turns to rust pretty fast...as long as your using a mig that you can control the amps and wire speed should be ok

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:03 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

factory xr6 Turbo system

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah we got a good one at work, I've only got a stick and a gasless mig (s**t) at home. It's going to have to be a slow dodgy build. Put a y piece on and block one side while I work on the other :/
Will not be terribly enjoyable I fear...

That the system you got rid of?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

yeh unfortunately it is lol.

Yes stick is no good...and gas less needs to be used as boat anchor! We got a mig, wouldnt take to much to knock it up I dont think.

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

yeah gasless isnt mine, its my unlces (i live with aunt and uncle). they are f**k useless... s**t to use.
stick was a present from the old man, bloody good little thing. they are tiny these days... was last years christmas present! :) i did well that year...

plan is to cut out all the mufflers and replace 2 with hotdogs (they are cheap) and 1 with just straight pipe (maybe 2.5/3" to use as a hollow resonator sorta thing).
im just afraid of wrecking the whole thing as i try and fab it. im an alright welder, but i have never done anything close to exhaust piping.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:15 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Cool....one way you could do it is have sections made up with expanded pipe to just slip over existing pipe and use clamps...Thought I dont think you will have a problem welding it....even easier if you can do the sections whilst out of the car.,, I used to change the exhaust on my troll every 2nd week or so lol...always fun

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

if i can, ill just put the y piece in and block one side off at a time while i fab the other sorta thing. it will run pretty average, but that way i can take as long as i please. the only thing i will need to do in a hurry is put in the y piece, which will be annoying, but shouldnt take too long. might even see if i can get Men@Work to do it for me.

who do you use for exhaust stuff? i still need to find a supplier for the hotdogs/flanges/etc ill need to fab it.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

Maybe just put the turbo exhaust system in man? Replace the mufflers with some straight through to get the sound up. Will be cheaper and less stuffing around, and will flow just as well as a dual 2.25". Although having custom made a dual 2.25" would be fun, and something unique I guess.

Loving the growler bro, can't believe how much quicker it is now compared to stock. I'll be doing easily low 14's...

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

mmm stop confusing me krazed, i dont know what to do. i wonder if i just change the flange, the turbo catback will bolt up to the na cat? or if they are located far to differently... hmm worth a little looky see. might give me two exhausts... that way i will have a whole spare system to play with... hmmm TEMPTING!

yeah liking the noise too? they make the engine sound tough as, like it should. when are you going to make it look as good as it goes?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:21 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

I'd also go the turbo system if I were you...easier. The only mod would be to modify to suit the cat flange...might just have to shorten the pipe some....be easy as IMO. take 5 mins to weld it up and away you go...

Sort by  
 Page 17 of 24  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 24  Next