My new 'blank canvas' 

Page 3 of 24 [ 357 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next

Post subject: Re: My new 'blank canvas'
Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: "08 XR6T Ute

QLD, Australia

Just spoke to a local diff place, he wants $3330 minimum for a diff upgrade. Not sure if its just me, but that sounds pretty heavy on.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Quote:
:arrow: Diff - What are my options for upgrading the diff? I have read a bit on it, and it seems to me that a M86 diff w/ matching drive shafts seems the cheapest way to do it. But i have no idea if im right.

Just got some emails back from a local diff place today.

"The Fg could have one of 3 different diffs, however it is possible to put a good diff centre, depending on what you want is to the cost, ei limo, true track ect,
$3,330.00 Drive in Drive Out price (this would include gear ratio change).
Unfortunalty it will cost this to upgrade the diff to suit, another option is to get a lsd out of a
Wrecked turbo version, this also will probably cost the same amount."

So i dont think i will be doing that anytime soon, although it would be nice to have a nice solid diff housing to start a nice solid foundation.

Next step will be contacting a wreckers to quote a XR6T LSD... hmm found a few details about it, looking a hell of a lot more promising then the $3,330 that old mate offered... :|

FG Plenum, s**t! expensive... may as well get a nice looking polished alloy one from CAPA or something. I dont know how to tackle that one anymore... the only one i could find was an OLD ad from 2010 and the guy wanted $100 with everything attached minus the throttle body and the MAP sensor.

so yeah... more research time :|

umm question, will a BA/BF alloy intake fit to an FG? that will handle the pressure of a turbo, and i guess i can port and polish it. not ideal, but maybe a lot cheaper...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 2004 ba xr6 turbo

NSW, Australia

yeah.. not sure why so expensive, but u shouldn't pay any more than $1000 to make your diff to lsd, maybe something different in the fg falcon compared to my model the ba.?? dunno man, ull have to do some research and call a few more places about just making your diff to lsd, and as for the intake manifold, even though its made from the new "composite" material, i think it will still hold up with the 200 - 250 kws ull prob make with the turbo, im not 100% sure but i think the turbo ones are made from the same material, just a different style/ shape setup.. start with small power levels and build from there...get the turbo on and running low amounts of boost, like 5 psi something like the stock xrt's run, put a super safe tune on it, and then build from there.... theres no point wasting money on STOCK xr turbo parts, when u can run the turbo safely on your car as is, and go with the good stuff bit by bit, gradually increasing boost, as it becomes safe to do so, with the mods you do when the funds become available...

slap the kit on, run safe, low boost levels on a safe tune, and build on that as your foundation, running a turbo SAFELY and driving it very moderately, will actually give you more fuel efficiency, as the turbo re circulates its self pushing more air into the combustion chamber than just air from atmosphere on an N/A, BUT the juice will suck, if you constantly come on boost, as the fuel ratio rises proportionally to the air being forced into the intake, if i thrash my car all week, i can use a tank in a weekend at about 250 kms to a tank, but when i cruise it, and pretty much never come on boost, a tank can last upto a week and a half, about 450 - 500 kms to the tank, and im not sure about the ba/ bf manifold fitting onto the fg,

Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

:arrow: Air bags effect on handling/ride comfort
Well after looking into it dont think i will be air bagging it all round, or maybe even at all for that matter. I am currently looking into coilovers all round for the FG.
After hearing a few stories about XYZ coilovers, i think i may steer away from them. Upon recommendation from another Fordmods member, i am looking into Tein Super street adjustable coil overs. I was given a rough price of a little over $1600 all round.
http://performance.fulcrumsuspensions.com.au/index.php?option=com_vehiclefilter&filter=product&Itemid=250&car_id=23&part_number=QSF06-6ZAS3

I need to look into what i can get through other cources in terms of possibly a 9" diff housing, or an FG LSD rear end setup privately or from a wreckers. so time for more research... :shock:

Yeah it will make alright power figures, but i have been told from a few sources lately that they will only withstand 9-10 psi MAX before they rupture. So it will be needed at some point before i turbo my vehicle. Also due to the different throttle body location, it would mean multiple intercooler pipe setups... so i guess its just something i would rather do first, so its done and finished the first time instead of being one of those niggling things that constantly annoys me. So once again, its back to the drawing board to try and get my hands on an FG turbo intake manifold... which btw isnt made of the same material, its cast similar to the BA/BF setups.

the stock fg xr6t's run a lot more boost then that too, stock they run a little over 10psi (or so i have been informed from a staff member of a FPV dealership).

Hmm i dont have the self control to not give it a feed at least once a week lol. would much rather spend $xxx.xx now, then 2x $xxx.xx later to repair/replace all the s**t i destroy when i strap a turbo onto the car. Also, i am still paying off the car loan i have one it and one of the conditions of the loan was that i am not to do any performance modifications until the debt is paid (only fair i thought, considering the money should be going at the loan and not into getting bigger speeding fineslol). so would very much like to establish a RELIABLE comfortable car, before i worry about racing SS commonwhores round town.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

well im pretty excited, my thread made it to the second most viewed today... solid effort.
good motivation for another day of online research for what to do next...

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

:arrow: Cheap brake upgrade - looking into 'cost vs benefit' of fitting upgraded brakes from another model falcon (e.g. XR6T or similar) Please help me and others out if you can, by supplying the Stock Brake Sizes from Falcons, Territories or other Fords that fit. cheers.

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Vixen Red 09 FG XT

QLD, Australia

298mm fronts for n/a, 330 for upgraded if I recall.

VIXEN FG XT Previous best - 14.431 @ 99.69mph with minor mods
Currently 14.235 @ 101mph same mods. Bring on the 13's!

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

for all n/a fg's?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Not sure mate.

Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

hmm just have to slowly keep researching through all the models... :/

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Links to Cartel - http://www.facebook.com/cartelonline?ref=ts&fref=ts
http://shop.cartel-aus.com/

I can vouch for Phil being a good guy to deal with. Send him a message about the Tien's.

NA 6 brakes - 298mm Front, 303mm rear

XR6T - 322mm front, 303mm rear

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for that Rce! (can't remember your name lol)

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Cheers, I had a poke around the website. Will have to send him an email tomorrow sometime for a rough quote...

For that matter I don't remember hearing yours either krazed lol your keen for Friday right?

"08 XR6T Ute

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah mate, still keen. Is it going to be at same place? Or somewhere different?

I haven't bothered getting a quote yet lol

Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Umm old mate wants to cruise up cootha, so not entirely sure where we will meet first. But then I guess we'll cruise up cootha and chill around there for a bit.

"08 XR6T Ute

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 24  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next