Fordmods Logo

NAII FAIRLANE 

Page 25 of 36 [ 530 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 36  Next

Post subject: Re: NAII FAIRLANE
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:46 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Check your heater tap, see if it is actuating properly. There is a small vacumm line that goes to it. It could also be rusted shut.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Ive replaced the heater tap but ive been thinking the vaccum hose because theres a a clear section in it that has a black bit in it but when I was looking at where it leads to i found another vaccum hose connector. Why would that be there? Do you think someone may have replaced the hose to heater tap and put it on the wrong one? How do I test this?

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:06 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

If the heater tap is not getting vacuum it will usually default to open, but this would mean that you would have heat all the time if the Tap is working correctly.

You should be able to see the heater tap from the engine bay. Start the car and while you look at the tap, get someone to activate the heater, you shoud see the arm on the tap move. If it doesn't it either is not getting vacuum or it is siezed. You can check to see if it is siezed by moving the arm by hand.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Okay ill check it. if that does work it would be safe to the heater core is blocked even though I flushed it?
What about the ac not being cold but behind the ash tray its icy cold?
I replaced my bushes to the sway bar not the main 2 the other thing athat the sway bar attaches too. I cant remember what their called.

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Nice plan you have there, and smart thinking ahead with the head/intake porting and cover painting. :D

Have to do some pics of the new rims when you have them fitted, see how they look... are they 15s?

Gold Pinstripes sound good too.

Where are you gonna get the diff gears from? have you found a source already?

Being in tas your mist may have been condensation, but it may be best to get it checked out by a pro, just in case... the ice cold ashtray is also making me think its time for a refresh and gas..

Swaybar links would be the parts you replaced the bushes on, the rods connecting the swaybar to the car?

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Thanks I wanna try my own porting and polishing and if it works out well they will be going on they lane and ill do the same with the ones on it and sell them off. I may have found a buyer through my brother for the intake manifold once I port and polish it as he wants it for a turbo set up. The head you never know when I might need a spare or find a buyer most likely the first option.
The rims have been sanded back so im going to respray them after fixing someones bad sanding. Im going to respray them in gold then get the lips machined. They are 15's so im happy that the tyres I have will go straight on im thinking of takeing pictures of the process.
The pinstripes will be fun ive always wanted to do it and with the old white ones flaking off why not give it a go. Im thinking of taking pictures of that too.
If the eb has 3.45 I might use those or I might get some 3.77s off ebay probably the 3.77s.
Okay its just that it was happening at 80kph when the mist started but it happened after a few minutes somit makes sense that it slowly started.
Sway bar links thats them couldn't remember what they were called cheers.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

Definately do some progress pics of your rims, that will add nicely to your thread.

3.45 is the highest factory ratio, but there should be some aftermarket options for higher sets..

Also in the garage....

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

The higher ones I have found on ebay the highest I saw was 4.11 and I was thinking even with the 3.9 I might lose my tyres. Ill be doing this slowly as I want these wheels perfect and with rego coming up only spare money is going to the wheels until after the 28th. Im also looking at an apprenticeship at god forgive me braaap as a motor mechanic. Im hoping repco is hiring so I can lesrn more about other people cars and the discount is a bonus especially as I now know they sell nolathane bushes.
Also with the old bushes which I should have taken pictures of before throwing them out the two that sit in the I think lower control arm correct me if im wrong. Had rocks in them (fricken dodgy backyard mechanics) had a closer look and the nolathane bag the bushes were in said nolathane red ranger. I thought red ranger were their own company.

Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Also would I be right in saying thst porting and polishing the intake manifold would cause my lane to use for more fuel?

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

4.11 and 3.9s are pretty much drag car spec. You'll be quick but lose all cruisability ;-)..

Motor Mechanics is good, but if you know much about wires I got auto sparky now days. The future is gonna be more electrical than mechanical plus modern cars are a C*** to work on and in 10-15 years time there won't be much worth working on IMHO..

Repco is good. I did 18 months there, the discount is just a side bonus really. Learning all the different parts and cars and what is out there is the best part. Experience and hearing many different things too.

Have a read if the rest of your Nolathane Bushes thread...

Rocks in the bushes work their way in there, even a full on bogan wouldn't put rocks in bushes lol.

Porting only helps flow, better flow better potential power WITH OTHER MODS (key part there) you'll get f**k all to no power gain.. also fuel is controlled by ECU, injectors, FPR, and pump IE the fuel system..

Also in the garage....

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Im mostly thinking with the intake is remove the 3mm lip that the intake pipe clamps too. What I mean by remove is smooth it out because im thinking there would be a bit of turbulence and knife edge and polish the butterfly. With the ports im thinking port match it to the head after I port and polish that if im happy with my port and polish ill probably get it milled then bolt it on later on down the road. With the valves ill make it so they sit flush with the head and I mean perfect not just ford going that works then 20 plus years of heat getting to it.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

So just 3.45 or keep my 3.23 then? sounds good to me that way I can cruise and only use a little more fuel. I still cant beleave how long first is! I was also wondering what you and everyone else would think my lane would be like with a dump pipe? Also how differnt would it sound because when I had my telstar I got a new muffler fitted on the rear which made it abit louder then I got the last 3 inches of the exhaust opened up from 2" to 2.5" and that alone gave it a nice rumble and it sounded like I had a cannon on it.

Last edited by Darcy4524 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

3.45 will make it cheap to do, make it a little quicker, and you'll still be able to cruise at 80 withou the engine revving too high and chewing fuel.

The 3 speed autos have an even longer 1st gear, almost 80 in first!

Also in the garage....

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Cool I edited my last post aswell and would it be hard to change the gears? My dad knows how to but I dont want the lane off the road for to long.

Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NT, Australia

easiest way is to find a 3.45 out of an ED (although they are less common to find) or an EF EL and swap the centres or fit the brakes off you diff to the EF EL housing.

Call around the wreckers and see what they have..

No idea on the dump pipe idea, I haven't seen or heard one before (on a falcon) you can try if you want, even get a 2.5" tail pipe with out the muffler an exhaust shop souls w able to get one pretty cheap or even eBay. That makes it a little louder..

Do you still have the stock system?

Also in the garage....

Sort by  
 Page 25 of 36  [ 530 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 36  Next